Sad news. (1 Viewer)

Martin Tabony

Command Sergeant Major
I've just had a phone call from Ken to tell me that Len Taylor passed away on Friday.

Martin

Sorry to hear that. One of the great people in this hobby, whose untold creations are in many a home and who inspired many more. There might not have been a hobby as we know it without him.

Len will be missed
He was a real gentleman.
He has had health problems for a while.
We still have his wonderful figures in our collections to remember him by

Truly sad news. His pieces to me are the best part of my collection. The ingenuity and detail he achieved in glossy toy soldiers is head and shoulders above any others as a whole. I only ever spoke to him via email, sorry I was unable to meet him in person.

TD

That is truly tragic news. Len was a giant in this industry. His WWI products are among my favorites in the entire hobby. He will be missed.

Len was a great friend. His toy soldiers are above anyone else in my opinion. I spoke to him about three weeks ago. He was always interested in what was going on in toy soldiers. He will be missed very much. Tommy

I did not know Len but through the Trophy collectors on the forum I have admired his work.

A nice photo of the man himself with some of his creations

He definitely has left his mark on the hobby

Randy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 344
This is really sad news. Len was a giant in the hobby whose hand-to-hand sets, when combined with his regular posed sets, enabled many of us to make in-action dioramas of Egypt/Sudan, Boxer Rebellion, and Zulu War battles. Trophy was and still is without question one of my favorite glossy toy soldier makers.

Hi Guys,
Like many of you I was a great admirer of Len Taylor and his company “TROPHY”...
In the early years of K&C they were a huge source of inspiration and a major force in promoting the hobby in both Britain and the U.S.
I only met Len once in Chicago, but was able to tell him personally how much I admired (and collected) his work.
In years gone by I would always visit “Under Two Flags” in London and buy up some “Trophy” for my own collection.
Andy​

This is really sad news. Len was a giant in the hobby whose hand-to-hand sets, when combined with his regular posed sets, enabled many of us to make in-action dioramas of Egypt/Sudan, Boxer Rebellion, and Zulu War battles. Trophy was and still is without question one of my favorite glossy toy soldier makers.

Here is to you Len, just a small part of your exceptional body of work.

Attachments

• 100_2169.JPG
    100_2169.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 100_2155.JPG
    100_2155.JPG
    464 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_2156.JPG
    100_2156.JPG
    490.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 100_2157.JPG
    100_2157.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_2088.JPG
    100_2088.JPG
    505.6 KB · Views: 297
A Big Thank You to Len Taylor for Trophy Miniatures of Wales

Anglo-Zulu War: Sets SRD and ZS52

Attachments

• SRD ZS52 01.JPG
    SRD ZS52 01.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 254
  • SRD ZS52 02.JPG
    SRD ZS52 02.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 257
Wonderful set Raymond ^&cool

I wonder where the idea of collecting the Zulu Wars would have been but for Len Taylor.

A creative genius and a giant in our hobby. RIP Len.

I am so sorry to hear this sad note. I last spoke to Len a month ago. He was a good friend. He had done a few favors for me. My wife and I met him in September 2012 on our last visit to the UK. We had a very nice visit with Len and his wife, Valerie at their home for several hours. Len told me a great deal about the history of Trophy. He was a wonderful man. We kept in touch as I called him often over these last 3 and a half years. I had corresponded with Len several years before my wife and I visited him and Valerie. I am happy that I was fortunate to meet Len and his wife in person. My Trophy figures are by far the favorite part of my collection. I loved the glossy look. I have lost a very good friend. Len had even written and told me the lovely time that he and Valerie had when they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in I believe 2013. My wife passed away of cancer in 2014 and Len always asked how she was doing while she was ill and always asked how I was coping after my wife passed away. He was a very caring person. Many of us have lost a true friend.

A big R I P from my land of Corsica for a man who has bring a lot of joy with his créations.Trophy is immortal.

By chance I happened to see this Thread that noted Len Taylor's death on February 26th 2016. I knew that his health was not very good for some years back. I was sad to learn of his death. My wife and I still remember the visit we made in July 1995 to his place of business. Len was most kind and friendly to us during our visit with him in Wales, UK. Back in 1990s I had purchased very many Trophy sets. I still have his 1879 Zulu War sets on display. In honor of Len Taylor please see 4 photos from my Rorke's Drift diorama at 80 by 24 inches which uses mainly Trophy Miniatures sets.

Gary

Forum 1.jpg

Forum 2.jpg

forum 4.jpg

Forum 3.jpg

Last edited:
Very sad news. End of the whole era. I talked with him many time over the phone. I am gonna miss him as a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back