Stalingrad 1942-43 (2 Viewers)

Would about the David Glantz and Jonathan House books: To the Gates of Stalingrad and Armageddon in Stalingrad? Anyone read these or have opinions on them?

Sure, Glantz & the Jason Mark books will be the most factually accurate data & maps, a bit heavy reading for someone new to the topic though. The Glantz books would be great to read side by side with the more Ambrose style books as there are more errors in those, so it could keep one more grounded in reality.

Getting back to maps, one of Jason's books has a great downtown map iirc, but I forgot which one. That would be nice to acquire for reference to reading any of the other books as it's the only map (unless you have access to the German 295 ID book) which correctly places the landmarks downtown. Craig's downtown map has errors (which for some insane reason was reprinted in Jones' book) but Craig has the basic German deployments correct, where Beevor goofed that. The best books for mapping wrt Soviet forces are Chiuikov & Glantz.

Sure, Glantz & the Jason Mark books will be the most factually accurate data & maps, a bit heavy reading for someone new to the topic though. The Glantz books would be great to read side by side with the more Ambrose style books as there are more errors in those, so it could keep one more grounded in reality.

Getting back to maps, one of Jason's books has a great downtown map iirc, but I forgot which one. That would be nice to acquire for reference to reading any of the other books as it's the only map (unless you have access to the German 295 ID book) which correctly places the landmarks downtown. Craig's downtown map has errors (which for some insane reason was reprinted in Jones' book) but Craig has the basic German deployments correct, where Beevor goofed that. The best books for mapping wrt Soviet forces are Chiuikov & Glantz.

Blowtorch, your suggestion to read a memoir and high level analysis simultaneously is right on the money. I did accidentally as I read "Forgotten Soldier" as well as "Black Edelweiss" at the same time as "Hitler's Panzer Armies in the East." It was fascinating to have these two personal accounts with the larger context set by the more academic book. I did it again with "Knight's Cross Panzers" as well as "Panzer Commander" while reading von Manstein's "Lost Victories."

I find this the best way to read history if these two types of books are available for which ever period you are focused.

One book that I wish I had discovered much sooner & that I would suggest for anyone who wants a detailed overview of the 1942 German campaign in the East & Africa is Citino's "Death of the Wehrmacht". It is a very competently done analysis with a high level of Glantz like technical accuracy and very readable presentation. If there was one book to take to a cabin in the woods for a week this would be it. It's well supported with custom maps too. The sample pages on Amazon unfortunately are a bad representation of what this book actually is. If 1942 is of interest to anyone, I'd give this a shot

Thanks Alex,

On the subject of Stalingrad history another useful reference is this web sire which contains a treasure trove of aerial photographs from various stages of the battle. You can request higher res versions to specific pictures too. I have also found this site to have a great selection of operational maps which can be highly instructive.

http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/

Frank

It's been a while since I've posted to this thread. I'm working on a winter scene featuring the new winter Russians but for now I thought I'd share these shots featuring some older pieces.

2012_12_15_DSC_0026c_small.jpg

2012_12_15_DSC_0027a_small_zpsb0870ac8.jpg

2012_12_15_DSC_0035b_small_zps7bc19efd.jpg

Frank

Outstanding work !!!
I love how you've blended their bases into the dio-it adds so much to the effect (which is brilliant).
mike

I always look forward to your posts. Actually you were one of the reasons i went to First legion!

I think i said this before. But this thread is one of the main reasons I went to First Legion. Amazing Photos!!!! Brad

Frank - it has been a long time since I've been to this part of the forum but your photos continue to "wow". I'd forgotten how talented you are.

The "Soviet forces attack the Kessel" photos are exquisite, flawless, outstanding, splendid, perfect - what other adjective could I use for your dioramas? Your photo essay shows true craftsmanship, unmatched on the forum.

Thanks Alex,

On the subject of Stalingrad history another useful reference is this web sire which contains a treasure trove of aerial photographs from various stages of the battle. You can request higher res versions to specific pictures too. I have also found this site to have a great selection of operational maps which can be highly instructive.

http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/

Frank
Great site. Has a lot of interesting photos as well as maps. Lots of captured equipment in German markings. Saw a Wellington bomber in crosses. Saw some good shots of the Autoblindas. Also a really interesting shot of what looks to be a wrecked two-seated Polikarpov I-16. -- Al

Frank . . . . . just Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr outstanding. I can feel the cold permeating from your photo series . . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Absolutely gorgeous images Frank. Thank you once again for sharing your incredible collection and photography magic!

Joe

Awesome is an understatement, but it's all I can come up with. Your photo & dio skills bring out the absolute incredible detail of FL figures & vehicles.
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back