Stalingrad 1942-43 (2 Viewers)

Re: Battle for the Barrikady Gun Factory, Nov.'42

Beautifully done Frank. Great attention to detail and photography, as always.

Simon

Thanks guys. These are the first shots with my new camera so I'm still getting used to it. One thing I noticed right away is the white balance is far more true than the old camera.

Thanks guys. These are the first shots with my new camera so I'm still getting used to it. One thing I noticed right away is the white balance is far more true than the old camera.

Yes, it does look better. The colours are crisper and less yellow. What camera did you get?

Terry

Yes, it does look better. The colours are crisper and less yellow. What camera did you get?

Terry

A Nikon D300s which replaces my old D50. It's a new Nikon 18-200mm lense as well which replaces my older Sigma 18-200mm. Those 18-200mm lenses specifically for the APS-C digital format cameras make wicked miniature (macro) lenses as their minimum focus distance is very low.

I was playing around with white balance bracketing and I ended up going with the version the camera automatically selected. White balance bracketing is when you take one picture and the camera processes it multiple times with slightly different color settings. I was using 5 frame bracketing with 2 frames to the amber side and 2 to the blue plus the original setting chosen by the camera.

A Nikon D300s which replaces my old D50. It's a new Nikon 18-200mm lense as well which replaces my older Sigma 18-200mm. Those 18-200mm lenses specifically for the APS-C digital format cameras make wicked miniature (macro) lenses as their minimum focus distance is very low.

I was playing around with white balance bracketing and I ended up going with the version the camera automatically selected. White balance bracketing is when you take one picture and the camera processes it multiple times with slightly different color settings. I was using 5 frame bracketing with 2 frames to the amber side and 2 to the blue plus the original setting chosen by the camera.

Wow what a difference. When I said yellow in my previous post, i meant the amber. Those are big upgrades to the computer in the camera and to the lens. But it really makes a difference. I shutter at the price :eek::D:D

Terry

Last edited:

Here's a few more from the same photo session. Different perspective, different lighting, different finishing.

Those "tank riders" really work quite well on the ground. I really like the figure with the PPSh-41 and slung MP40.

DSC_0232a_2010_2_9.jpg

DSC_0222a_2010_2_9.jpg

DSC_0242a_2010_2_9_800.jpg

DSC_0222a_2010_2_9_bw.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the flamethrower team and Russian scouts. Stay tuned.

Frank,

Some outstanding photos. You get better and better. I really like the second to last one, with the shading by the pillar. Great figures, great photos.

Frank,

Some outstanding photos. You get better and better. I really like the second to last one, with the shading by the pillar. Great figures, great photos.

Thanks Brad.

I always like to take a few shots back lit as it creates dramatic high contrast images. Basically I move the light all around the display as I take pictures and then decide later what works and what doesn't.

I have a back lighting idea for the Sd.Kfz 232 that I want to try. If it works you'll see it here. :)

Frank, I like that guy with the slung MP40 also. I really like soldiers with alot of gear on them.

Excellent, excellent. Your pictures are certainly one of the main reasons, I am active on this forum, Frank.

While technically not the battle for the Barrikady or the city of Stalingrad for that matter I thought I would travel back in time a few months to the west of Stalingrad.

This series of pictures starts out with a StuG III racing down a dirt track.

Stug3_Dust_small_2010219.jpg

As it enters a village it slows to allow the infantry to catch up to clear the buildings.

Stug1_Dust_2_small_2010_2_19.jpg

A German war correspondent captures a picture of the action.

Stug1_Dust_2_small__bw_2010_2_19.jpg

Once the village is declared safe the StuG commander poses for a picture in front of his mount.

Stug4_small_2010_2_19.jpg

A slight variation on the theme. In this case the StuG has entered the village carrying tank riders and accompanied by infantry.

Stug2_small_2010_2_19.jpg

While technically not the battle for the Barrikady or the city of Stalingrad for that matter I thought I would travel back in time a few months to the west of Stalingrad.

As it enters a village it slows to allow the infantry to catch up to clear the buildings.

Once the village is declared safe the StuG commander poses for a picture in front of his mount.

A slight variation on the theme. In this case the StuG has entered the village carrying tank riders and accompanied by infantry.

Wow!
your photos are really magnifiques.J 'd like to know your technical backdrop (poster?) and how is the dust effect?
This is not my interest period, but you are staging "live".

Just awesome Frank. I love each and every one of these images and I must admit to feeling a sense of pride that such quality displays can be achieved with our products. Can't wait to see what you have in store for everyone with the 232....

Mr Frank,
Your photo's just continue to amaze :) Just Fantastic! Your Great photo's complement the sculpting and painting of First Legion's products and are are one of the highlights of the their threads . Thanks for sharing your passion with us, I really envy your gift . All the best Gebhard

Frank the photos are awesome!:) Your photoshop skills are the best!:cool:

Best Regards,
Vick

Those photos could easily be the approach to the suburbs of Stalingrad.
They LOOK fantastic. Well done. As Matt stated, like to see the 232 next.
:):):)

Nota 10....:eek:

Excellent.

Now this is my favourite....:)

Jeff

Another brilliant set of photos featuring that beautiful Stug Frank. I especially like your dust; I am trying to figure out how to do that (with smoke) in Paint Shop Pro. Photoshop is a bit too pricey for me and the Elements version doesn't seem to have this capability. Hopefully some day I will figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back