Stalingrad 1942-43 (2 Viewers)

Re: Battle for the Barrikady Gun Factory, Nov.'42

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

To answer some of the questions regarding how I did some of the effects.

The background:

This first picture shows the setup I used to take the pictures in this series. I can't overemphasize the importance of good lighting.

P2190062_small_2010_2_20.jpg

Note that I have used a blue sceen as a background. Any solid color will do but it is important that it isn't too dark or too light as this affects the light meter in the camera and by extension this affects the exposure of the items in the foreground.

The reason I use a solid color is it makes it easier for Photoshop Elements to digitally extract the foreground from the background. This is not unlike the green screens you see used in the movie industry.

Once the foreground is extracted it can be combined with background elements of your choice. In the case of this picture I have added a horizon and a sky element. The red arrows in the following picture highlight the various layers in this composition. The image is flattened and the "Clone Stamp" tool is used to blend the various elements together (if required).

How_To_1_2010_2_20.jpg

Smoke/Dust

This is easier than you might think with Photoshop Elements.

The arrows in the following picture point to the "Lasso" tool and the foreground and background color selector. In order to create smoke I have selected two shades of grey. I have chosen dark greys but you can choose any colors you like to suit your needs. For dust I use the "Eyedropper" tool to sample an area of the ground to match the color exactly.

Smoke_Dust_Effect_1_2010_2_20.jpg

You now need to select the "Lasso" tool and draw the shape of the smoke/dust cloud you want. Once this is complete click on the the "Select" menu and choose Feather.

Smoke_Dust_Effect_2_2010_2_20.jpg

You need to specify the amount of feathering you want in pixels. Basically this is what gives your smoke or dust cloud a soft edge. In this sample i have chosen 200 pixels.

Smoke_Dust_Effect_3_2010_2_20.jpg

From the "Filter" menu select Render\Clouds

Smoke_Dust_Effect_4_2010_2_20.jpg

Voila, Smoke

Smoke_Dust_Effect_5_2010_2_20.jpg

Smoke_Dust_Effect_6_2010_2_20.jpg

Now the real trick is to experiment. While you may only need a single dense cloud which you can do in one go it is just as likely you will need to do several smaller "clouds" layered over top of each other. The smaller clouds are useful because the are more translucent than a snigle larger cloud and allow a more patchy application. This is what I did with the dust cloud.

Very, very helpful explanation, thanks much Frank. I may have to try Elements again if you can go that.

it seems that you have a Nice Camera, what it is?

Great photos and explanation.

Thanks Brad.

Rod, It's a Nikon D300s. I just got it a few weeks ago and I'm really happy with it.

I have a question about the factory.. Does anyone know if there was a railroad siding that went into the factory ?
Thanks

I have a question about the factory.. Does anyone know if there was a railroad siding that went into the factory ?
Thanks

Yes, you can see in this satellite picture taken in 2009. Most of the major buildings match up to their 1942 equivalents as do many of the railroad track locations.

Barrikady_2009_10_8.jpg

Elements of 16. Panzer-Division scout one of the numerous villages to the west of Stalingrad.

SdKfz232_3_2010_3_4.jpg

SdKfz232_1_2010_3_4.jpg

SdKfz232_6_Dust_2010_3_4.jpg

SdKfz232_5_dust_2010_3_4.jpg

SdKfz232_4_2010_3_4.jpg

SdKfz232_2_2010_3_4.jpg

WOW !!! I guess you like it :D Frank , thanks for sharing your Great photo's with us , IMO this is some of your best work . After viewing these , can there really be any doubt as to who is producing the most realistic products on the market today .I don't think you can find better WWII products at any price . First Legion just keep pulling farther and farther away from the pack leaving them in the dust (pun intended ) WOW , Thanks again Gebhard

These pictures kick butt they would make great wallpaper for PCs.

I saw these pictures then had the urge to start buying toys for Frank. His pictures are better than my displays!

Thanks guys.

Blowtorch, I think that is a fantastic idea...;):D

Frank

Stunning shots-a really professional job

Matt and FL should be paying you big bucks for perfectly encapsulating and capturing the beauty of their product.

Kudos to you ;)

Reb

Absolutely incredible pictures!!!!!!! can't get much better then that, steps off the pages of reality...Sammy

Frank

Matt and FL should be paying you big bucks for perfectly encapsulating and capturing the beauty of their product.

Kudos to you ;)

Reb

Reb ,
I think your missing something here , Yes the Photography is stunning but without the Great Product they would just be Great pictures . Think about this one, Playboy has Great Photographers who take beautiful Photo's . Put some ugly women on the other side of those lenses and you have beautiful photo's of ugly women who's buying that ?? I know that's extreme but you get the point , A photographer is only as good as the subject he is shooting .. and again Thanks to Frank for doing such Fantastic work displaying the best in the business IMO . If you guys start getting Paid in cash or Figures I'm taking a Photography Class ;) Gebhard

Frank

Kudos to you ;)

Reb
In that vein Bob, I think Andy and Richard probably owe you quite a bit for doing just that for their products at this point.;):cool::D Now imagine, as I know you have, if you had some FL ACW to add to your casting calls.:eek::D

Thank you for all the kind comments guys

Here is a picture featuring First Legion's absolutely fantastic Russian Scouts leading the way.

Russian_Scouts_1_2010_3_21_small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back