RD2.jpg

RD3.jpg

RD4.jpg

RD5.jpg

RD6.jpg

RD7.jpg

Cheers

Martyn:)

Enjoyed your photos Martyn the second time around as much as I did the first time

Ran across two more photos that may have come from the Illustrated London News Martyn one features a Zulu Warrior claiming his second victory joined shortly by his Induna.....Joe.

009-12.jpg

004-18.jpg

Enjoyed your photos Martyn the second time around as much as I did the first time

Ran across two more photos that may have come from the Illustrated London News Martyn one features a Zulu Warrior claiming his second victory joined shortly by his Induna.....Joe.

009-12.jpg

004-18.jpg

Great pictures Joe, could well be ILN {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Just picked up the bound volume ILN July to December 1898 with a great fold out of the Charge of the 21st Lancers :wink2:

Cheers mate

Great photos guys ^&cool

Jeff

Btw, my Zulus arrived today so I'll try and get a photo up soon.

Got to enjoy your photos shared with us from the Illustrated London News Martyn and thanks Michael and Jeff for your comments an Looking forward Jeff to seeing your new arrivals.

Ran across a few more photos I thought I'd share with you.

1009-4.jpg

1016.jpg

002-15.jpg

Got to enjoy your photos shared with us from the Illustrated London News Martyn and thanks Michael and Jeff for your comments an Looking forward Jeff to seeing your new arrivals.

Ran across a few more photos I thought I'd share with you.

1009-4.jpg

1016.jpg

002-15.jpg

Great pictures Joe, I knew I had seen a similar one before

ilnfrontcoverAZW.jpg

Cheers mate

Seeing I've used your photos in creating a number of my Calendars featured on the forum it was nice of you to feature one of mine featuring it in your creative Illustrated London News. Thank you good sir.

ilnfrontcoverAZW.jpg

Seeing I've used your photos in creating a number of my Calendars featured on the forum it was nice of you to feature one of mine featuring it in your creative Illustrated London News. Thank you good sir.

ilnfrontcoverAZW.jpg

Your picture was made for the cover of an ILN Joe {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers mate

Thanks Michael my original photo was enhnce by a friend to create the overall efffect to create the photo.

WAS MELVILL ORDER TO SAVE THE COLORS

This from the kwazulu Website.

"It is one of the most stirring moments in the dramatic story of the battle. As the Zulus burst through the British line, and all is about to be lost, Col. Pulleine, in command of the camp, called Lts. Melvill and Coghill of the 1/24th to him, and gave the Queen's Colour of the battalion - the symbol of regimental and national pride - into their care, ordering them to 'take it to a place of safety'. Together, Melvill and Coghill dash across country, braving the horrors of the Zulu pursuit, only to lose the Colour in the raging Mzinyathi (Buffalo) River, on the very threshold of safety. Having crossed the river, both men are tragically overtaken and killed.

This view is very much a construct of the times, created to soothe the 24th's wounded pride, and to provide the British public with an unequivocal image of selfless heroism with which to offset the horror of the defeat.

Needless to say, it didn't happen quite like that, either. None of the British survivors of the battle claimed to have seen Pulleine hand the Colour to Melvill, and in fact the story first appeared a month or so after the battle, attributed to an anonymous source. Almost certainly, the story originated among surviving officers of the 24th, keen to ensure that Melvill's actions appeared in a suitably heroic light. In fact, as Adjutant of the 1/24th, the care of the Colours fell in any case within Melvill's responsibilities.It is far more likely that he fetched the Colour in an attempt to rally the battalion - but then found that it was too late, and instead tried to carry them away. He did not leave the camp with Coghill - several witnesses saw them riding away separately - and in fact the two don't seem to have joined up until they reached the river. Melvill, of course, lost the Colour in the flooded river and was nearly swept away himself, but Coghill - who had already reached the other side safely - returned to the water and saved him.

At the time, senior officers expressed reservations about the wisdom of recognising as heroic the actions of men who - however good the reason - were in fact abandoning the field. As Chelmsford himself put it, by saving the Colours Melvill 'was given the best chance of saving his life which must have been lost had he remained in camp … The question, therefore, remains had he succeeded in saving the colours and his own life, would he have been considered to have deserved the Victoria Cross?' In fact, however, the 'dash with the Colours', as the Press hailed it, had already caught the public imagination. There was no provision for the posthumous VC in 1879, but it was noted that Melvill and Coghill would have received it, had they lived. At the turn of the century, when posthumous awards were introduced, the award was confirmed, and VCs sent to their families."

1004-4.jpg

The Horns of The Buffalo are seen taking their effect as the camp is being over run by the over whelming and determined Zulu Warriors.......The Lt.

003-31.jpg

006-32.jpg

009-19.jpg

010-26.jpg

013-13.jpg

014-12.jpg

017-5.jpg

018-10.jpg

2002-5.jpg

2005-1.jpg

Great pictures to bring this thread back to life Joe {bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Cheers mate

Yes Joe the black is out numbering the red easily suggesting black will prevail this time. Perfect representation of the final moments in the camp. Cheers, Robin.

Thanks Robin and Martyn as I return to the field of Isandlwan on that faithful day in January 1879.....The Lt.

016-9.jpg

017-13.jpg

028-3.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

Thanks Michael and Kevin for you comments as the epic continues.....Joe

010-15.jpg

007-16.jpg

014-15.jpg

015-10.jpg

016-8.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED

Users who are viewing this thread