"The Zulu War" (4 Viewers)

In checking with Shannon and Pete I've been told that other than the recent photos my have been lost. So what I've decided to do is create a new thread begining with the Battle of Isandlwana and on to Rorke's Drift featuring photos from "Creating the Battle" along with others I'll be takeing along the way. Once again they'll feature figures from Trophy Ltd., Conte, Little Legion, Britian, ANI and KINGKAST along with my painted figures. The war begins with Conte's Zulu starting the attack at ISANDLWAN....The Lt.

Dear "The Lt.":
Most splendid photos of your dioramas of the Zulu War! Thanks!
Best regards,
"Iron Brigade" 4/29/2010

Thanks for the comlement Iron Brigade it's been fun sharing my playtime and youll note it continues....The Lt.

1014.jpg

“The only Isandhlwana survivor to be awarded the Victoria Cross was Private Samuel Wassal 80th Regiment, serving with the Mounted Infantry.

The survivors of the fight at Isandhlawana were fleeing for their lives. One of the final obstacles was the river Mzinyathi. It was in flood at the time – six to seven feet deep, 50 to 60 yards wide. It was here that Sam Wassal, who had just put his horse into the water and was urging him to the other side, saw Private Westwood from his own Regiment, struggling desperately in the water. The Zulus were sweeping down to the river bank killing everyone they could. At this point Sam turned his mount back into the surging water. At the bank he dismounted tying his horse to a tree. He struggled to Westwood, hauled him back into the saddle. He pulled his comrade onto the horse and plunged back into the torrent to reach the Natal side safely”

Thanks go to the TROPHY CATALOGUE 2003 for the above info

ZULUWAR-ZS74THEONLYONE.jpg

Set# ZS74 – THE ONLY ONE

Cheers

Martyn:)

“The only Isandhlwana survivor to be awarded the Victoria Cross was Private Samuel Wassal 80th Regiment, serving with the Mounted Infantry.

The survivors of the fight at Isandhlawana were fleeing for their lives. One of the final obstacles was the river Mzinyathi. It was in flood at the time – six to seven feet deep, 50 to 60 yards wide. It was here that Sam Wassal, who had just put his horse into the water and was urging him to the other side, saw Private Westwood from his own Regiment, struggling desperately in the water. The Zulus were sweeping down to the river bank killing everyone they could. At this point Sam turned his mount back into the surging water. At the bank he dismounted tying his horse to a tree. He struggled to Westwood, hauled him back into the saddle. He pulled his comrade onto the horse and plunged back into the torrent to reach the Natal side safely”

Thanks go to the TROPHY CATALOGUE 2003 for the above info

ZULUWAR-ZS74THEONLYONE.jpg

Set# ZS74 – THE ONLY ONE

Cheers

Nicely tol story Mrtyn and photograph I know it's a set you had your heart set on getting....The Lt.

I ran across the following newspaper clippings which depict the Zulus occupying at 1900 hours all the areas of cover close to the post, and from their positions launched successive attacks against the mealie bag walls in front of the Commissary Storehouse and cattle kraal.

g4p6h-20100517093758.jpg

In the face of the attacks on the cattle kraal the British withdrew first to the cattle portition and then to the end wall.

4fgqc9-20100517093708.jpg

Luckily that photo crew was on the scene, here is a color shot as it happened :cool:

20100514_21-1.jpg

I ran across the following newspaper clippings which depict the Zulus occupying at 1900 hours all the areas of cover close to the post, and from their positions launched successive attacks against the mealie bag walls in front of the Commissary Storehouse and cattle kraal.

g4p6h-20100517093758.jpg

In the face of the attacks on the cattle kraal the British withdrew first to the cattle portition and then to the end wall.

4fgqc9-20100517093708.jpg

Luckily that photo crew was on the scene, here is a color shot as it happened :cool:

20100514_21-1.jpg

Excellent Joe and Firebat:cool:

Cheers

An overveiw of the attack on the well built kraal and storehouse......The Lt.

2001.jpg

2002.jpg

2003.jpg

2004.jpg

2005.jpg

2006.jpg

2007.jpg

2008.jpg

Very Nice, LT!
All your different manufacturers (Conte, WB, etc..) go very well together in their defence of the Drift! Hope they win!:p
Mike

That is excellent Joe and took some considerable time setting up I'll bet:cool:

Cheers

Every warrior in his place...every soldier has a purpose...lots of work for you Papa...but nice viewing for us...muey bien!!!:D

They're in a world of hurt!LOL. No flags of reg size were actually flown overhead. Nice pic!

We depicted the layout accurately, and we did not see any flags, but they looked good, so we took a little liberty with the scene. Upside Down .... Yea they were in a hurry, so they didn't realize the flag was upside down. We were happy to make a little contribution to the ZULU phenomenon...but we will now leave it to the experts. Alex.....:)

We depicted the layout accurately, and we did not see any flags, but they looked good, so we took a little liberty with the scene. Upside Down .... Yea they were in a hurry, so they didn't realize the flag was upside down. We were happy to make a little contribution to the ZULU phenomenon...but we will now leave it to the experts. Alex.....:)

You guys have created a masterpiece, as usual, and merits in our imaginations lots of heroism and bravery by both sides.:)
Mike

You guys have created a masterpiece, as usual, and merits in our imaginations lots of heroism and bravery by both sides.:)
Mike

BSP's mission has always been to respect warriors in the most realistic setting posible.....To Nick and I, these are not toys, but pieces of history that stimulate our imagination.

The proof here is, we had little to no knowledge of this Battle, before we constructed the scene. After all of the research was done and the project completed, we had total respect for warriors, that we were not previously familiar with.

Great job 24th Foot in holding your ground against what must have been a very frighting and formidable enemy. And thanks to Frontline Figures for giving us this experience. Alex

Footnote: Conte was supposed to support another ZULU scene by BSP, which was planned for months and .....well ?.......any day now ?...I don't think so. Well Joe Baker does a great job for Conte, so you guys didn't miss anything, buy BSP not getting the opportunity.

Once again after a brief pause the Zulus launch another assualt against the Commissary Store house and the well buil kraal and again the defenders continue to hold their own.........The Lt.

3008.jpg

5002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back