"The Zulu War" (1 Viewer)

I recently ran across a few old newpaper photos of Zulus in the act of Washing Their Spears and thought I'd share them with you.........The Lt.

hfpupx-20100622031139.jpg

0yr0z2hx3-20100622031335.jpg

8i0c8bbl-20100622031417.jpg

49778yjelc-20100622031558.jpg

Funny! You almost caught me! Nicely done. The South African paper those might have been published in would have been the Argus or Cape Times (or any of the English papers, of course).

Hot off the press from the Illustrated London News no doubt and thanks for sharing the contents of the steamer trunk.

I recently ran across a few old newpaper photos of Zulus in the act of Washing Their Spears and thought I'd share them with you.........The Lt.

Imagine if the Zulus had cell phone cameras back then. They could have streamed them directly to the Forum. :D:D:D:D

We found another photo from the Illustrated London News Scott in the Steamers Trunk but his one features Chard directing members of B Company 2/24th to defend the south wall............The Lt.

pe4oy-20100622031824.jpg

Thanks Scott. 29 year old Lieutenant Charles Walter Cavaye Commanding E Company ot the 1st Battalion 24th Regiment of Foot the son of General Cavaye makes his last stand on the slopes of Isandlwana.......The Lt.

1006-11.jpg

Private William Brown of the 1st/24th becomes another casualty as the Zulus overrun the wagon park........The Lt.

1008-7.jpg

Apologies for putting these pictures on again but as it is the 131st anniversary of the Battle of Ulundi here are some of the 17th Lancers and 1st Dragoon Guards leaving the Square at Ulundi

Cheers

Martyn :)

Attachments

• ULUNDI 17th water colour.jpg
    ULUNDI 17th water colour.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 664
  • ULUNDI 1st KINGS DRAGOON GUARDS watercolour a.jpg
    ULUNDI 1st KINGS DRAGOON GUARDS watercolour a.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 532
Apologies for putting these pictures on again but as it is the 131st anniversary of the Battle of Ulundi here are some of the 17th Lancers and 1st Dragoon Guards leaving the Square at Ulundi

Cheers

Martyn...don't apologize...I think those are some of the best pictures you have ever posted...

Cheers

Very nice tribute to the event Martyn an the photos are as much of a pleasure to see this time around as they were the first.

Quarter Masters J Pullen and T Leitch of the 1/24th are preparing to defend themselves as the Zulu Impi approaches the wagon park....The Lt.

1004-6.jpg

This is not a diorama but I wanted to place this where Zulu War collectors would not miss it.

There is a full copy online of A Year's Housekeeping in South Africa by Lady Barker (1883) which contains a series of letters written from South Africa while her husband Frederick Broome was stationed there as Colonial Secretary of Natal between 1875-1876. The book contains numerous references to the Zulus and one chapter (called Regulars and Volunteers) deals with her visit to Fort Napier where she saw an encampment of the Natal Mounted Volunteers, the Natal Carbineers, and the Durban Mounted Rifles whose duty was protecting the European population. She also mentions seeing Regulars at Fort Napier which I believe were the 13th (Somerset) Light Infantry who were stationed there between 1875-77. They later participated in the Battle of Ulundi.

To access the book and download a copy do a Google search on

A year's housekeeping in South Africa

When you get to the page with the book you will see in the upper right hand corner "Download" Select pdf and download to your desktop.

I think collectors of the Zulu War will find this historical primary source of interest and it's free too!!

Illustrations:

1. Lady Barker & Frederick Broome
2. Induna from Lady Barker's book
3. 13th Somerset Light Infantry

Attachments

• BroomeandBarker.jpg
    BroomeandBarker.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Induna.jpg
    Induna.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 1stbattalion13thLtInf.jpg
    1stbattalion13thLtInf.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 273
Joining Scott in thanking you Randy for the info an passing it on. Now a quick return to the Wagon Park at Isandlwana as another member of the 1st Battalion 24th Foot washes the spear of a Zulu Warrior as the park is being over run.......The Lt.

028-1.jpg

I have never seen someone who has such a passion for a particular subject matter.......Good for you......it must be very rewarding !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back