Things that I really like (2 Viewers)

The fireworks display in NYC has far surpassed the one in DC. And, thankfully, none of the embers ignited any of the numerous homeless encampments to burn the city to the ground. I have to admit not having an optimistic view of the future of this country. The Wash Post even ran a story this week questioning how long things can be sustained. Not a great sign. A lot of the hallmarks of the downfall of many other civilization are in place. But the fireworks are still nice!

I have to agree with your outlook of the country's future. We need a very strong and decisive leader who doesn't care about being political incorrect to turn things around. A large part of our officials are weak and cowardly or actually wants to make us a third world country. One thing we need to remedy is too many unelected officials making draconian rules. They need to do what they were intended to do which is to serve and help citizens not rule them.
Mark

I have to agree with your outlook of the country's future. We need a very strong and decisive leader who doesn't care about being political incorrect to turn things around. A large part of our officials are weak and cowardly or actually wants to make us a third world country. One thing we need to remedy is too many unelected officials making draconian rules. They need to do what they were intended to do which is to serve and help citizens not rule them.
Mark

When you look to the demise of other civilizations you see many of the same signs. Civil unrest, environmental disasters, war, pandemics. Add in the falling educational scores to historic lows. We are entering the age of Idiocracy when there will be no doctors, scientists, or anyone who can fix anything because they have spent their childhood on video games. My dad is 83 and his advice is to never watch cable news and just let things collapse. Sit at the pool and enjoy what time you have left.

When you look to the demise of other civilizations you see many of the same signs. Civil unrest, environmental disasters, war, pandemics. Add in the falling educational scores to historic lows. We are entering the age of Idiocracy when there will be no doctors, scientists, or anyone who can fix anything because they have spent their childhood on video games. My dad is 83 and his advice is to never watch cable news and just let things collapse. Sit at the pool and enjoy what time you have left.

Your dad is right. Rome will sink and the Universe/God won't care.
I wouldn't follow a "strong" leader anyway, but rather would fight alongside anyone who opposed him/her.
As for video gamers, they may be our future warriors: guiding tiny missiles like pilots in an office.
As for no doctors, good riddance.
Best Wishes and may the USA never fall, but it's not the end of Space-Time of even Humanity if it does.
Sickly, weak, sleep-deprived Paddy

Not to sound too harsh and to clarify a bit:
While strong leadership may not be inherently bad; autocrats never listen, never learn, and can make mistakes a group might not. I assume, given the context of the conversation and current politics, that you have a strong leader in mind. That agenda does not appeal to ones who only fight for a nation that defends the weak. At least I pay taxes and more. I'm sick of those who expect strength without funds and rich without taxes. Grandpa paid 70% after $100,000. He chuckled and said he was working for Uncle Sam again then. But he never cared. He never lost touch with current events and he was always insightful, but he never really cared. He preferred his pool.
Regarding doctors: I have a bad opinion based on personal experience. They are good people if they care. And I mean about more than their bank accounts.
Rome need not sink. Not now. But I truly believe that there is no way for a Power in this Universe to hold onto its position forever.
Glad I won't be around to see it!
Best Wishes to all and Happy Toy Soldiering

I don't like "The Road" it really depressed me. Probably the most realistic movie of that kind out there.
Mark

I don't like "The Road" it really depressed me. Probably the most realistic movie of that kind out there.
Mark
Mark, I found 'The Road' to be the most depressingly realistic end of the world movie that I have ever seen, much like the book. It is so powerful it is very hard to watch but I found it impossible not to watch, if that makes sense. A remarkable movie that really contains only a single ray of light/hope. It was relentless in it's grayness. I really liked it, but I won't do much in the way of multiple viewings. -- Al

Mark, I found 'The Road' to be the most depressingly realistic end of the world movie that I have ever seen, much like the book. It is so powerful it is very hard to watch but I found it impossible not to watch, if that makes sense. A remarkable movie that really contains only a single ray of light/hope. It was relentless in it's grayness. I really liked it, but I won't do much in the way of multiple viewings. -- Al

Hopefully they make "Blood Meridian" into a movie someday. Talk about bleak. I've been trying to get through "The Passenger" and "Stella Maris" but those are tough reads. Some of the typical McCarthy gems here and there but otherwise a difficult task.

Hopefully they make "Blood Meridian" into a movie someday. Talk about bleak. I've been trying to get through "The Passenger" and "Stella Maris" but those are tough reads. Some of the typical McCarthy gems here and there but otherwise a difficult task.
Would like to see how Blood Meridian would translate to the screen. I have to admit that I found Blood Meridian a really tough read. Found myself re-reading passage after passage. Haven't had that problem with other McCarthy books but BM almost defeated me. -- Al

I can't get enough of the stories about airline passengers going nuts. It's hard to top the recent one about the woman who claimed the person sitting next to her was not real and that everyone on the plane was doomed. She actually looked like a normal person. The kicker was that "Carrot Top" was on the plane. So maybe she had a point. That dude is weirder than a villain from a Batman movie. Truth is stranger than fiction as they say.

I can't get enough of the stories about airline passengers going nuts. It's hard to top the recent one about the woman who claimed the person sitting next to her was not real and that everyone on the plane was doomed. She actually looked like a normal person. The kicker was that "Carrot Top" was on the plane. So maybe she had a point. That dude is weirder than a villain from a Batman movie. Truth is stranger than fiction as they say.
Because of all the trouble with unruly passengers that seem to lose it on airlines, how long can it be before mandated background checks for passengers becomes SOP to try to ID potential problems? One would think that an airliner should be a psycho free zone. :rolleyes2: -- Al

That's just how I felt.
Mark

This looks like it could be great or awful:

Napoleon — Official Trailer - YouTube

My vote is great, the battle scenes look epic, not like the cheeseball ones in the Sharpe series or that mini series about Napoleon (although Eylau was very good IMO), looks like we get the full experience from the late 1700's/Italy/Egypt/Austerlitz/Eylau/Russia/France/Waterloo..............

I'm 100% in.

I've been enjoying "Perry Mason" on HBO. Season two is well acted. The post-WW II LA era is an interesting setting for the show.

I've been enjoying "Perry Mason" on HBO. Season two is well acted. The post-WW II LA era is an interesting setting for the show.

Glad you enjoy it. So does my old mom.
I am very sorry for your loss. Sounds like your Dad & you did what you could. That is good.
If you believe she is in a place without her disease then that is good too.
Still I offer my sincere condolences to you and your Dad.
Paddy

This last season did a fantastic job of capturing LA before it became a current modern day metropolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back