Things that I really like (2 Viewers)

I like Mike Miller on the Forum. Having heard no news, I hope he is more busy than ill.
Also, I like all of you (i.e. y'all). With my current health difficulties, I am glad to be able to socialize when I'm sick.
So Long Live the Forum and Mike Miller too. Maybe John of Texas can get an answer to when our friend Mike will return. And Best Wishes to all who are too busy or ill to post.
Paddy

"Winning Time" on HBO. It's almost shocking to me how good and detailed this show is. As a fan of the Lakers in this era, they captured every detail and drama. Even obscure players like Jim Chones and Mark Landsberger. The actors are dead on physically. Like doppelgangers of the real people. John C. Reilly is fantastic as Jerry Buss. The dynamic between Paul Westhead, Magic, and Pat Riley is brutal. I suppose Laker fans have the most interest in the plot but it is still fantastic.

I kinda like the drama around that guy kissing the Spanish 'Women's' Soccer players, I think they were Female, but some of the more Butch players are hard to determine ^&grin

Funny how Lesbians are becoming more prevalent in women's sport, I wonder how long before Straight players say it's sooo unfair.

I had a chance to visit the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam this summer. Her story is familiar to just about everyone through movies and other media. As a result, it has become almost myth like. But what an emotional experience to go up those steps to the annex and understand the grim reality of it. That also prompted me to read her diary. A couple of things struck me. First, the immense power of the written word. People will forever be visiting that home and understanding the implications of what happened because they can connect to her via the diary. Otherwise we would have never known anything about this situation. The act of recording her thoughts is taken for granted but it is a profound decision when she could just as easily not bothered. By coincidence, I was rereading 1984 and it begins with Winston Smith secretly writing in a diary. The written word has the potential to reverse the role of the powerless and the authoritarian figures over time. Second, the insights and humor of Frank as a 13-year old girl are astounding. No modern day young person of that age can spell "cat" much less write to this level. It has some of the typical teenage behavior such as bickering with her mother and sister, but the "voice" of a very intelligent and surprisingly humorous and insightful young person considering the circumstances. A very likeable person. There is also a very profound sense of dread reading her express optimism about the future since we all know how it ended. Lastly, how wrong it is to measure our lives just in terms of longevity or comfort. I'm sure if given the choice that Anne Frank would have preferred to have lived to an old age never having seen the inside of that attic. If anyone ever invents a time machine they would go back and rescue her but her suffering and death at such a young age makes the horrors of that situation resonate with future generations. Every single day there will long lines to visit the house and be reminded of what happened. As much as anything else, that ensures no one else ever finds themselves in that situation again. Of course Anne Frank never knew any of that would happen when she was writing her diary or dying along with most of her family in the camps. That is probably the saddest part of this story to me. That she would never know the value of her contribution to the future.

Professional tennis player Coco Gauff’s response to a reporter’s question about the pressure to win:

“I mean, there are people struggling to feed their families, come from, people who have to pay their bills. That's real pressure, that's real hardship, that's real life.”

The K9 who helped capture the escaped convict here in PA. Good dog! He deserves a Scooby treat.

Like this guy taking down a guy threatening people in a shopping center in my home town.

[video]https://www.9news.com.au/national/man-tackled-to-the-ground-dubbo-shopping-centre/f979600f-86f1-494c-8131-c90c5cb6b7c1[/video]

Last edited:
And the end of 80 degree days in Massachusetts for 2023 as well.

George:

Thanks for the laugh!

Please do not get me wrong, I love the way the Texas summers keep the cost of living way down.

On the other side, 74 days of 100+ heat is over 1/5 of the year.

-Jason

George:

Thanks for the laugh!

Please do not get me wrong, I love the way the Texas summers keep the cost of living way down.

On the other side, 74 days of 100+ heat is over 1/5 of the year.

-Jason

I remember the 100+ degree days, and the insane humidity when I lived in Beaumont back in the 80's and early 90's. I do not miss them!{sm2}

No surprise that it can get Hot Downunder, Spring recently started and we'll soon be into Sweaty Balls season, George would love it here in Summer ^&grin

"Winning Time" on HBO. It's almost shocking to me how good and detailed this show is. As a fan of the Lakers in this era, they captured every detail and drama. Even obscure players like Jim Chones and Mark Landsberger. The actors are dead on physically. Like doppelgangers of the real people. John C. Reilly is fantastic as Jerry Buss. The dynamic between Paul Westhead, Magic, and Pat Riley is brutal. I suppose Laker fans have the most interest in the plot but it is still fantastic.

This series has been cancelled, not picked up for a second season.

The ultimate irony; a series about the Lakers Dynasty in the 1980's ends with the 1984 finals loss to the Celtics.

The ratings from what I read were not very good; so I guess aside from Lakers fans, no one gave two shits about this..................................

This series has been cancelled, not picked up for a second season.

The ultimate irony; a series about the Lakers Dynasty in the 1980's ends with the 1984 finals loss to the Celtics.

The ratings from what I read were not very good; so I guess aside from Lakers fans, no one gave two shits about this..................................

That's funny because I'm watching season two. I can understand how it doesn't have wider appeal unless you are familiar with the personalities, but the show is outstanding. I can understand how Boston fans might not be happy revisiting that era, though, since the Lakers smoked them.

"Bye-bye Miss American pie" or "You have to fight for your right to party"? This guy reminds me of both songs:

Alabama high school band director stunned, arrested after telling students to keep playing music, police said

That's funny because I'm watching season two. I can understand how it doesn't have wider appeal unless you are familiar with the personalities, but the show is outstanding. I can understand how Boston fans might not be happy revisiting that era, though, since the Lakers smoked them.

I heard a story on satellite radio that the series was cancelled after one year, some of the personalities involved like West were less than pleased at how they were portrayed.

Maybe yours is a bootleg copy.

The Celtics won three titles in the 1980's, we're fine revisiting that era, that was probably the greatest 10 years in the history of the NBA with four great teams all getting bites at the apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back