Things that I really like (1 Viewer)

Haven't watched a second of the women's world cup but glad to hear that our politicized women's team choked again. Way to go! Maybe more practice and less politics next time.

Haven't watched a second of the women's world cup but glad to hear that our politicized women's team choked again. Way to go! Maybe more practice and less politics next time.
The really ironic part of the loss is that it was Rapinoe who blew it by missing her shot in the penalty shootout, which caused a domino effect as the other team members missed their shots after hers. It was a sort of justice, considering... -- Al

The really ironic part of the loss is that it was Rapinoe who blew it by missing her shot in the penalty shootout, which caused a domino effect as the other team members missed their shots after hers. It was a sort of justice, considering... -- Al

I've said it before and I'll say it again; it always astounds me when a shooter completely misses the net, how on earth is that possible, the goalie 99% of the time falls to the left or right depending on which foot you kick from, so just aim to their opposite side and you've got literally half the net to shoot at.

And I understand/people get tight in a situation like that/it's not as easy as it looks; yes, it is.

These are professionals, not a bunch of scrubs getting together for a game on a weekend.

What a monumental choke job, they were the overwhelming favorites going in, they barely got through to the round of 16, then bounced right away.

Epic fail.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; it always astounds me when a shooter completely misses the net, how on earth is that possible, the goalie 99% of the time falls to the left or right depending on which foot you kick from, so just aim to their opposite side and you've got literally half the net to shoot at.

And I understand/people get tight in a situation like that/it's not as easy as it looks; yes, it is.

These are professionals, not a bunch of scrubs getting together for a game on a weekend.

What a monumental choke job, they were the overwhelming favorites going in, they barely got through to the round of 16, then bounced right away.

Epic fail.

If only Al Michaels were still around to call the "Choke on Grass" moment. Think about how much the world has changed when you compare the "Miracle on Ice" USA hockey team to this group of America hating athletes. It's embarrassing. I'm ashamed to see the teams that represent the USA in this era.

Epic fail.

The goalie is at such a disadvantage, I can’t help but cheer when the shooter misses no matter who is playing.

England is not exactly a hot bed of fashion but kudos to Pantherella socks and Gloverall coats.

Epic fail.

Making PKs, as Alexi Lalas has said, is quite different than anything else, particularly with this much on the line. No, it’s not as easy as it looks. Why do players miss free throws in basketball. They just do.

As far as their being favorites, that was somewhat based on reputation. What this World Cup has shown is that a lot of teams that would have been dismissed as minnows were anything but, such as Morocco and Jamaica. Even teams that didn’t make it to the round of 16, like the Philippines, impressed. It’s no accident that two of the best teams, Germany and Brasil, didn’t make it to the round of 16 and that the US was eliminated this early. Women’s football is improving globally by leaps and bounds.

The best team so far and a favorite to win it is Japan. Very impressive so far. A Japan France Final wouldn’t surprise me.

World Cup results in any sport is never a given, same with penalties.

The only Women's Football I've ever watched regularly is the US Lingerie/X League, what's not to like. But now looking forward to seeing Australia Vs France this Saturday, would be surprised if the Matildas win, but you never know.

Making PKs, as Alexi Lalas has said, is quite different than anything else, particularly with this much on the line. No, it’s not as easy as it looks. Why do players miss free throws in basketball. They just do.

As far as their being favorites, that was somewhat based on reputation. What this World Cup has shown is that a lot of teams that would have been dismissed as minnows were anything but, such as Morocco and Jamaica. Even teams that didn’t make it to the round of 16, like the Philippines, impressed. It’s no accident that two of the best teams, Germany and Brasil, didn’t make it to the round of 16 and that the US was eliminated this early. Women’s football is improving globally by leaps and bounds.

The best team so far and a favorite to win it is Japan. Very impressive so far. A Japan France Final wouldn’t surprise me.

Ok, so penalty kicks are harder than they look; I've never played the sport, so I'll defer to others who have/have lived the moment.

It's one thing to miss a free throw as it clangs off the rim, it's quite another to miss a target the size of a school bus, but again, who am I to say.

In truth, I barely watched any of the US matches, womens soccer, much like the WNBA, has less than zero appeal to me, I really enjoy men's World Cup, mainly because the fans are so passionate and live and die with each goal either way.

I really like womens swimming and track and field in the Summer olympics as well as the downhill skiing events in the Winter olympics.

Womens soccer and basketball; not so much.

Ok, so penalty kicks are harder than they look; I've never played the sport, so I'll defer to others who have/have lived the moment.

It's one thing to miss a free throw as it clangs off the rim, it's quite another to miss a target the size of a school bus, but again, who am I to say.

In truth, I barely watched any of the US matches, womens soccer, much like the WNBA, has less than zero appeal to me, I really enjoy men's World Cup, mainly because the fans are so passionate and live and die with each goal either way.

I really like womens swimming and track and field in the Summer olympics as well as the downhill skiing events in the Winter olympics.

Womens soccer and basketball; not so much.

I’ve enjoyed the matches although I’ve had to tape most of them as they start in the middle of the night. The only exception was the Spain Switzerland Round of 16 match, which started at 1am. Once Spain had the game in hand, I went to bed.

The quality of the matches has been pretty high. One thing we haven’t seen a lot of is playacting when a player goes down as there is in the men’s game.

World Cup results in any sport is never a given, same with penalties.

The only Women's Football I've ever watched regularly is the US Lingerie/X League, what's not to like. But now looking forward to seeing Australia Vs France this Saturday, would be surprised if the Matildas win, but you never know.

Australia will obviously be the underdog but never underestimate the advantages of being at home.

Watching "Goliath" on Showtime about the life of Wilt Chamberlain. He was perhaps the most dominant athlete in any professional sport. Only Wayne Gretzky comes close. But Chamberlain is largely forgotten or not even mentioned in terms of the all-time greats. Maybe because he only won two NBA championships. He had the misfortune to play against the greatest sports dynasty in history with the 1960's Celtics. Chamberlain had monster numbers. He averaged over 50 points a game one season despite being a terrible free throw shooter (he sometimes shot FTs underhanded). He led the league in assists one year. And rebounds. Never fouled out of a game. Often played every second of every game. An absolute beast.

Watching "Goliath" on Showtime about the life of Wilt Chamberlain. He was perhaps the most dominant athlete in any professional sport. Only Wayne Gretzky comes close. But Chamberlain is largely forgotten or not even mentioned in terms of the all-time greats. Maybe because he only won two NBA championships. He had the misfortune to play against the greatest sports dynasty in history with the 1960's Celtics. Chamberlain had monster numbers. He averaged over 50 points a game one season despite being a terrible free throw shooter (he sometimes shot FTs underhanded). He led the league in assists one year. And rebounds. Never fouled out of a game. Often played every second of every game. An absolute beast.
Been watching it, as well. Hard to believe Wilt is so forgotten these days. He is why I watched B-ball back in the 60's. Wilt v the Celtics, seemed like every year. He made the NBA with name recognition and the unbelivable numbers he put up. In addition to his 50 point per game average one year, I believe he scored 100 points in a game that same year. He was literally unstoppable. He also averaged 20 rebounds per game, for his CAREER. He could do anything on the court he felt like doing at anytime he felt like doing it. -- Al

In my opinion Gretzky is the greatest ever.

However the “greatest ever debate” is continually weakened by more than sports fans and their home team attitudes.

Tyreek Hill refused to list Jerry Rice as the greatest NFL receiver ever because he was not playing when he started to watch football.

A great victory for Australia. That’s as dramatic as a PK shootout as I can recall seeing.

Rewatching game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals on NBA TV. What a war between the Lakers and Celts. The quality of players was unreal. The best the NBA had to offer. Magic vs Bird with Kareem, Worthy, McHale, Parish. The pace was incredible. I don't think anything will ever surpass the quality of basketball played in the 1980s. So many great teams and players.

Last edited:
Rewatching game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals on NBA TV. What a war between the Lakers and Celts. The quality of players was unreal. The best the NBA had to offer. Magic vs Bird with Kareem, Worthy, McHale, Parish. The pace was incredible. I don't think anything will ever surpass the quality of basketball played in the 1980s. So many great teams and players.
The 80's was about the last time the NBA was worth watching. I think I stopped watching the NBA right after Byrd and Magic retired. -- Al

The 80's was about the last time the NBA was worth watching. I think I stopped watching the NBA right after Byrd and Magic retired. -- Al

There were 11 HOF players and coaches in the 1987 NBA Finals. The Lakers lost a lot of tough finals to the Celts over the years, but the Celts blew it big time in 1987. They were up 16 in the second half of game 4 at home. They were up six with just a couple minutes to play. Kareem missed the tying FT with about ten seconds left in that game but two Celts fought over the rebound and knocked the ball out of bounds. Then Magic made the famous "baby hook" to win the game. KC Jones played his starters for almost the entire game and they ran out of gas at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back