Trophy - Anglo Boer War sets (4 Viewers)

NAVAL 4.7 GUN SHELLING THE COLENSO LINES

NBGUN.jpg

Cheers

Martyn:)

Wow, another beauty Martyn ..... love that 4.7 inch gun, you don't suppose we could convince Mike that he really needs to make one of those do you ? :wink2:^&grin

B.

Wow, another beauty Martyn ..... love that 4.7 inch gun, you don't suppose we could convince Mike that he really needs to make one of those do you ? :wink2:^&grin

B.

Many thanks Buster :salute::

.........and the question will be asked :wink2:

Cheers

BRINGING UP A BATTERY OF FIELD ARTILLERY

GUNTEAM-4.jpg

GUNTEAM1.jpg

GUNTEAM1BLACKANDWHITE.jpg

GUNTEAM1BLACKANDWHITE-1.jpg

Cheers

Superbly done Martyn. Really enjoying how you exhibit your collection.

Cheers,

Brad

THE BARBED-WIRE ENTANGLEMENTS AT MAGERSFONTEIN

bwbarbedwiremagersfontein.jpg

barbedwire.jpg

barbedwireblackandwhite-1.jpg

Cheers

Here are my Boer War, Black Watch Highlanders with terrain bases. According to Len Taylor sets of marching figures with terrain bases are quite rare, Trophy used the standard rectangular base on the majority.

BW-1.jpg

and here are the matching Black Watch Pipers

piper7.jpg

The Column

BWHB.jpg

Cheers

A very impressive display Martyn, I like the variation of poses in the figures .... two big thumbs up on this one! ^&grin

{bravo}} {bravo}}

B.

Nice way to enjoy my morning cup of java viewing your Black Watch Highlanders Martyn and the day my friend........Joe{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

A very impressive display Martyn, I like the variation of poses in the figures .... two big thumbs up on this one! ^&grin

{bravo}} {bravo}}

B.

Many thanks Buster, glad you liked them :salute::

Cheers

Nice way to enjoy my morning cup of java viewing your Black Watch Highlanders Martyn and the day my friend........Joe{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Many thanks Joe, I've just had my second espresso so I'm ready for anything^&grin :salute::

I know you have been following the posts Mike Tarantino has been putting on his fabulous Toy Soldier Collection thread and after I had posted a reply to a question of his about these sets I realised that I hadn't put pictures of them on the Trophy Boer War thread :redface2: Thanks go to Mike for jogging my memory but please don't tell anyone {bravo}}

Cheers mate

Here are my Boer War, Black Watch Highlanders with terrain bases. According to Len Taylor sets of marching figures with terrain bases are quite rare, Trophy used the standard rectangular base on the majority.

BW-1.jpg

and here are the matching Black Watch Pipers

piper7.jpg

The Column

BWHB.jpg

Cheers

Hi Martyn: Great display and sets. I have some Camerons marching with terrain bases. On the bottoms are the initials "D C" for Dragon Crest and 2000. Do yours have the Trophy mark? Tommy

Hi Martyn: Great display and sets. I have some Camerons marching with terrain bases. On the bottoms are the initials "D C" for Dragon Crest and 2000. Do yours have the Trophy mark? Tommy

Many thanks Tommy :salute:: Mine have the same mark as your Camerons "DC 00"

Cheers

Hi Martyn - I keep coming back to your three pics of these Boer War Black Watch figures for a peek - as they are so nice. Do I assume correctly that there are several sets there in your final photo ( Colour Party. Pipers and 24 figures marching at the slope) - or was it a "big box" set? Secondly, were there ever any drummers to go with the Pipers?

What a great shame that they are still not being produced - though I would prefer them to come as castings, of course.:D (I would get the socks right then!).^&grin

Hi Martyn - I keep coming back to your three pics of these Boer War Black Watch figures for a peek - as they are so nice. Do I assume correctly that there are several sets there in your final photo ( Colour Party. Pipers and 24 figures marching at the slope) - or was it a "big box" set? Secondly, were there ever any drummers to go with the Pipers?

What a great shame that they are still not being produced - though I would prefer them to come as castings, of course.:D (I would get the socks right then!).^&grin

Hi jb

Glad you liked the figures. sorry about the socks ^&grin

There are indeed three separate boxed sets making up the grouping.

The 24 marching figures in a "Big Box" set Len produced as a one off, the 6 Pipers in a 6 figure standard Trophy red box and the Colour Party in a larger Trophy red box that were used to pack figure and equipment sets.

Unfortunately no Drummers were ordered to go with this set.

I do have drummers to go with these Black Watch Pipers, not sure about the socks though ^&grin

BLACKWATCHPIPEANDDRUMBAND-1.jpg

Cheers

Ah! - yes - that's what I was after. That set of twelve pipers with Bass drum, tenor drums and Side-drums. Good old Len - they're beautiful. Thanks for showing them.

In common with many other makers ( e.g Britains), very few makers had a go at socks in the correct patterns - preferring instead to paint them in a solid colour. I do know why - from the painstaking experience of trying to paint the patterns involved myself. They are tricky and time-consuming - and therefore expensive for a commercial supplier to produce.

Here's a good example of a well known picture of the Black Watch around 1893 by Harry Payne showing the socks nicely.

1893uniformsbyharryPayne.jpg

Nice to look at though - when you can get 'em right. jb

Ah! - yes - that's what I was after. That set of twelve pipers with Bass drum, tenor drums and Side-drums. Good old Len - they're beautiful. Thanks for showing them.

In common with many other makers ( e.g Britains), very few makers had a go at socks in the correct patterns - preferring instead to paint them in a solid colour. I do know why - from the painstaking experience of trying to paint the patterns involved myself. They are tricky and time-consuming - and therefore expensive for a commercial supplier to produce.

Here's a good example of a well known picture of the Black Watch around 1893 by Harry Payne showing the socks nicely.

1893uniformsbyharryPayne.jpg

Nice to look at though - when you can get 'em right. jb

Hi jb

Thanks for the picture, here is a picture of some of my other BW soldiers with kilt apron, check out the socks

BW-BLACKWATCH.jpg

Cheers

Martyn :)

Yet another lovely group of BW marching along - with kilt aprons being worn - and lovely socks too;)!

Here's another pic that I have collected - from that war/period - showing a Private, drummers, piper and bugler - all featuring that type of clothing/FS helmets etc, - though no aprons in this one. I regularly look around the net for pics like this - and store them electronically, so that I have references for any painting projects I may wish to make - though many others such as Trooper - often come up with rare examples from their own collections . Note the lovely leopard skin apron for Bass Drummer - and those colourful socks again!

PrivateDrummersPiperandBuglerinBoerWarc1900.jpg

I think Len has made an outstanding effort for these beauties - especially so for glossies - which aren't really necessarilly often trying for great realism.

You really do have some outstanding examples of this great Welsh Marque, martyn. Well done - and many thanks for sharing them with the rest of us, which is much appreciated - as always - jb.

Last edited:
Yet another lovely group of BW marching along - with kilt aprons being worn - and lovely socks too;)!

Here's another pic that I have collected - from that war/period - showing a Private, drummers, piper and bugler - all featuring that type of clothing/FS helmets etc, - though no aprons in this one. I regularly look around the net for pics like this - and store them electronically, so that I have references for any painting projects I may wish to make - though many others such as Trooper - often come up with rare examples from their own collections . Note the lovely leopard skin apron for Bass Drummer - and those colourful socks again!

PrivateDrummersPiperandBuglerinBoerWarc1900.jpg

I think Len has made an outstanding effort for these beauties - especially so for glossies - which aren't really necessarilly often trying for great realism.

You really do have some outstanding examples of this great Welsh Marque, martyn. Well done - and many thanks for sharing them with the rest of us, which is much appreciated - as always - jb.

Many thanks jb :salute::

Great picture {bravo}}

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back