Trophy - Anglo Boer War sets (2 Viewers)

I didn't know JG made figures.

Many years ago Brad.

I was speaking to John at a London Show last year and he told me that he had also produced several sets of Romans, unfortunately he sold all the molds several years ago and they ended up "Down Under", unfortunately the new owner didn't do anything with them which seems very strange but has happened to others:rolleyes2:

Cheers

Martyn:)

September 26th 1901 - Major Chapman of the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, with a friendly Boer farmer acting as a translator, patrols the border of Natal and Zululand with members of the Zululand Native Police

Cheers

America & The Boer War

Martyn

I ran across two examples of American popular culture: sheet music and a political satire magazine that suggests American interest in the Boer War and thought you might like seeing them. Puck was in some ways akin to the British Punch. Uncle Sam who is bogged down longer than expected in the Philippines during the Spanish American War is commiserating with John Bull and British involvement the Boer War.

Randy

Attachments

• 1900SpionKop.jpg
    1900SpionKop.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 193
  • MiseryLovesCompany1901.jpg
    MiseryLovesCompany1901.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 200
America & The Boer War

Martyn

I ran across two examples of American popular culture: sheet music and a political satire magazine that suggests American interest in the Boer War and thought you might like seeing them. Puck was in some ways akin to the British Punch. Uncle Sam who is bogged down longer than expected in the Philippines during the Spanish American War is commiserating with John Bull and British involvement the Boer War.

Randy

Many thanks for posting these Randy :salute::

Cheers

September 1901 - Boer "bitter-enders" attempt a strike into Zululand, it is easily checked.

Here two Boer "bitter-enders" trample a Zulu corn field in the futile advance

Cheers

September 1901 - Boer "bitter-enders" attempt a strike into Zululand, it is easily checked.

Here two Boer "bitter-enders" trample a Zulu corn field in the futile advance

Martyn
A most unusual subject and scene.
A small grouping that still has a lot to say
Randy

June 1900 - NATAL INDIAN AMBULANCE CORPS Stretcher bearers with a British casualty

Cheers

October 1901 – Ambulance Dhoolie Bearers in Northern Natal

Figures – Trophy, Little Legion, Steadfast and Star Collectibles

Cheers

UNDER TWO FLAGS Tonga Ambulance from the Boer War

This next set was a Christmas present from my great friend Sam in Texas.

The set had been on my wants list for several years and was turning into a bit of a Holy Grail quest, on a par with the "Dr. Watson at Maiwand" set.

This is what Len Taylor told us about the set back in January 2011

Info from Len Taylor – Owner of Trophy of Wales

“It was oxen drawn, the two wheeled cart had a large canvas cover which in turn was covered by a metal shield with large red cross. Two Indian stretcher bearers carried a wounded British soldier. The set was made early 70,s for Under Two Flags. I put a little extra into the wounded figure.one knee drawn up and his holding his chest, told Jock Couts it was a scots soldier with his hand on his wallet ! Must have caught him on a bad day, "I want him lying to attention with bandaged head and a worried expression".

Over the years we did several restoration jobs, mainly the canvas that had rotted around the metal supports.The hardest part of this set was making the metal shield, I couldn’t buy metal sheet thin enough, so we resorted to Heinz bean cans. A section was cut out brass rods were soldered to each corner, the panel was formed around a wood template, primed painted green with a red cross. This was prior to reference numbers, and before you ask !! I made less than thirty !.Jock set up a window display including the Tonga it was during the summer, he reported that the metal canopy flew off and wiped out some of the troops, what can you expect from a bean can.”

Cheers

UNDER TWO FLAGS Tonga Ambulance from the Boer War

This next set was a Christmas present from my great friend Sam in Texas.

The set had been on my wants list for several years and was turning into a bit of a Holy Grail quest, on a par with the "Dr. Watson at Maiwand" set.

This is what Len Taylor told us about the set back in January 2011

Info from Len Taylor – Owner of Trophy of Wales

“It was oxen drawn, the two wheeled cart had a large canvas cover which in turn was covered by a metal shield with large red cross. Two Indian stretcher bearers carried a wounded British soldier. The set was made early 70,s for Under Two Flags. I put a little extra into the wounded figure.one knee drawn up and his holding his chest, told Jock Couts it was a scots soldier with his hand on his wallet ! Must have caught him on a bad day, "I want him lying to attention with bandaged head and a worried expression".

Over the years we did several restoration jobs, mainly the canvas that had rotted around the metal supports.The hardest part of this set was making the metal shield, I couldn’t buy metal sheet thin enough, so we resorted to Heinz bean cans. A section was cut out brass rods were soldered to each corner, the panel was formed around a wood template, primed painted green with a red cross. This was prior to reference numbers, and before you ask !! I made less than thirty !.Jock set up a window display including the Tonga it was during the summer, he reported that the metal canopy flew off and wiped out some of the troops, what can you expect from a bean can.”

Cheers

Great find Martyn and history to go with the set. Happy New Year. Tommy

December 1901 - Boers check an abandoned farm for food

Figures - Trophy and Little Legion

Farmhouse - JG Miniatures

Grass mat - JG Miniatures

Cheers

December 1899 - Royal Marines take a well deserved break

Buildings - John Gittins

Cheers

January 1900 - Two Natal Indian Ambulance Corps Tonga wagons make their way across the veldt

Tonga wagons and stretcher bearers - Under Two Flags/Trophy of Wales

Cheers

January 1900 - Two Natal Indian Ambulance Corps Tonga wagons make their way across the veldt

Tonga wagons and stretcher bearers - Under Two Flags/Trophy of Wales

Cheers

One of my favorite sets, you lucky dog, you have 2! I only have 1!!!!! Seriously, again, just a favorite set, always looks good displayed.

TD

One of my favorite sets, you lucky dog, you have 2! I only have 1!!!!! Seriously, again, just a favorite set, always looks good displayed.

TD

Many thanks Tom :salute::

Cheers

December 1899 - Royal Marines take a well deserved break

Buildings - John Gittins

Cheers

Very nice Martyn, the LL RM "Brew Up" figures fit like glove with your Trophy ..... well done. {bravo}}

B. :salute::

Very nice Martyn, the LL RM "Brew Up" figures fit like glove with your Trophy ..... well done. {bravo}}

B. :salute::

Many thanks Buster :salute::

Mike did a great job matching the LL "Brew up" set with the Trophy "Reveille" set {bravo}}

All the best

December 1899 - Naval Brigade supply wagon

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back