Trophy Crimean War sets (2 Viewers)

Those Royal Marines are traveling in high style now Martyn, I hope young master Archie doesn't get any ideas of putting the Lion in the bathtub for a shake-down cruise. {eek3}:tongue:

B. :salute::

Brad needs to show us his Eagle now
Those boats are wonderful and will stand the test of time in terms of collectability I am sure.
It is almost twenty-five years since they were produced.

At three feet long - this superb vessel makes a simply stunning platform to show off other appropriate Toy Soldiers - just as you have done for us to look at M. Thanks for the views - this MUST be the centre-piece of your collection - and she's a real beauty. jb:salute::

Nice set, just too bad that the Trophy team blundered on a historical fact in leu of saving a few pennies on a new mould....the NCOs charging with pistols ....well back then we did not have percusion caps nor colts{sm3}{sm3}standard flint lock pistols would have been more appropriate....
These historical misses are the one thing that bothers me sometimes......
Cheers
A_C

49th (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) (Hertfordshire) Regiment of Foot

The Charge

Cheers

Martyn:)

Nice set, just too bad that the Trophy team blundered on a historical fact in leu of saving a few pennies on a new mould....the NCOs charging with pistols ....well back then we did not have percusion caps nor colts{sm3}{sm3}standard flint lock pistols would have been more appropriate....
Cheers
A_C

You'll have to check the footnoting of this Wikipedia article, but it does state that both the Russians and the British used Colt revolvers during the Crimean War. In 1854, the Royal Navy ordered 4,000 Navy Model Colt revolvers, and in 1855, the British Army placed an order for 5,000 of these revolvers for army issue, eventually ordering 9,000 more in 1856.
Cheers,
Brendan

Those Royal Marines are traveling in high style now Martyn, I hope young master Archie doesn't get any ideas of putting the Lion in the bathtub for a shake-down cruise. {eek3}:tongue:

B. :salute::

Many thanks Buster:salute::

Archie does enjoy looking at the boat, and we only live about 500 yards from a lake that holds a model boat club every Friday, I'm beginning to wonder what he has in mind^&grin

Cheers

At three feet long - this superb vessel makes a simply stunning platform to show off other appropriate Toy Soldiers - just as you have done for us to look at M. Thanks for the views - this MUST be the centre-piece of your collection - and she's a real beauty. jb:salute::

Many thanks jb :salute::

Cheers

Cheers
A_C

You'll have to check the footnoting of this Wikipedia article, but it does state that both the Russians and the British used Colt revolvers during the Crimean War. In 1854, the Royal Navy ordered 4,000 Navy Model Colt revolvers, and in 1855, the British Army placed an order for 5,000 of these revolvers for army issue, eventually ordering 9,000 more in 1856.
Cheers,
Brendan

Many thanks for the Wikipedia info Brendan :salute::

Cheers

Cheers
A_C

This doesn't bother me in the least. It's a great set.

Martyn,
Great addition! Looks superb, I only have the Confederate one, but have always appreciated all of them!

Best!
Tom

Martyn,
Great addition! Looks superb, I only have the Confederate one, but have always appreciated all of them!

Best!
Tom

We are still waiting of you to show us some photos of your Leopard Tom
Also for Brad to show us The Eagle
It is always nice to see some photos

Hi Brendan,

Fantastic piece of historical news!:confused:Never had thought of that! Nor did Osprey Collections and some of the other reference books I checked.....Will remember that! Thanks
A_C

Many thanks for the Wikipedia info Brendan :salute::

Cheers

Hi Brendan,

Fantastic piece of historical news!:confused:Never had thought of that! Nor did Osprey Collections and some of the other reference books I checked.....Will remember that! Thanks
A_C

What "Osprey Collections and some of the other reference books" did you consult with?
Regards,
Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the note again....
I am not a great source of info on small arms and especially for a period prior to the first Sudan War:cool:

As my nick name gives away I am more keen on " pistols bigger and more vociferous cousins" that is the Artlliery Arm and the selfloading and mechanically fed small sisters Maxim/Nordenfeldt and Gatling....These are the pieces of ordinance I love:cool:.
So my reference literature for the Crimea War is a bit limited to the below list of titles that I looked up for guidance. The good part is that I am a vivid reader of the Victorian Age Empire Building and Armies/Campaign s and Litttle Wars so some data does overlap....
When this week I went over to check the Colt´s presence in Crimea I went to these titles,and found a wealth of literature on American Civil War and the Wild West etc, but to the extent of your note, yes I could identify a quick note that the Royal Navy had them around 1853 ( I would suspect so, at the time the Navy was in certain aspects more open to new weapons and ones that could assist in repelling enemy boarding parties reason why the Colt found its way into their arsenals as well as the Gatling, Nordenfelts and Maxims faster than in the Army....And yes Navy Model percussion revolvers were manufactured under license in London between 1853-57...and the funny thing is that they were muzzzle - loaders only going to breech -loaders in the 1860s.The reference being that they where privately bought by officers wanting to pack some additional power albiet a caliber .36 then .... But not much on Line Regiments before the adoption of theTranter and Webley...More reference is made to the Robert Adam´s revolver 1851 and Tranter´s Army revolver 1879 with a caliber of .44 and the Webley Army Revolver 1892 model packing initially a .38 caliber and then later around 1880s a great and now know to us all .45 caliber, but by then the Crimea was long gone....
So the titles I used and you asked for were:
(1) Guns of the Empire - Firearms of the British Soldier 1837-1987 - George Markham - Arms and Armour Press - 1990
(2) Osprey Men At Arms Series #196 - The British Army on Campaign 1816-1902 (2) - The Crimea 1854-1856 - Michael Barthrop - Osprey - 1987
(3) The World´s Great Guns - Frederick Wilkson - Spring Books -1997
(4) The Thin Red Line - Uniforms of the British Army between 1751 & 1914- D.S.V.B.K.Fosten - Windrow & Greene - London - 1992
(5) Into the Valley of Death - The British Cavalry Division at Balacava 1854 - John & Boris Mollo - Windrow & Greene - London - 1991
(6) British Military Uniforms - From Contemporary Pictures - Henry VII to present day - W.Y.Carman - Spring Books - 1957
(7) A History of the Regiments & Uniforms of the British Army - Major R.M.Barnes - Sphere Books Limited - 1972
(8) Military Uniforms of Britain & Empire - Major R.M.Barnes - Sphere Books Limited - 1972
(9) The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fire Arms -Ian Hogg - Newnes books - 1983
(10) Military Small Arms - 300 Years of Soldiers´Firearms - Graham Smith and Ian Hogg - Salamander Book - 1994
(11) The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the 19th Century Firearms - Major F.Myatt MC - Salamander Books - 1979
(12) Blanford Encyclopaedia in Colour - Infantry Uniforms 1742-1855 - Robert and Christopher Wilkinson - Latham - Blanford - 1969
(13) Blanford Encyclopaedia in Colour - Infantry Uniforms 1855 - 1939 - Robert and Christopher Wilkinson - Latham - Blanford - 1970

Once again thanks for the additional info....need to check wikepedea more frequently :eek::salute::

Cheers
Artillery_Crazy

What "Osprey Collections and some of the other reference books" did you consult with?
Regards,
Brendan

HMS LION with the Marine Contingent from the Royal Marine Light Infantry

Cheers

Martyn, I'm impressed with your wonderful collection and its always a pleasure to view them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back