Trophy - zulu war sets (1 Viewer)

NATAL LIGHT HORSE

First saw action in May 1879, commanded by Capt. W. Whalley ex. 17th Lancers
The core of the unit was drawn from the Frontier Light Horse and at one time comprised of 138 men, their largest action was at the Battle of Ulundi on July 4th 1879. As the original troopers were drawn from the FLH there uniform was heavily influenced by that of the FLH. Along with Martini-Henry and Snider carbines many men carried sabres and revolvers

Set# ZS22/V – NATAL LIGHT HORSE

NATALLIGHTHORSE.jpg

NATALLIGHTHORSEB.jpg

Cheers

Martyn:)

NATAL LIGHT HORSE

First saw action in May 1879, commanded by Capt. W. Whalley ex. 17th Lancers
The core of the unit was drawn from the Frontier Light Horse and at one time comprised of 138 men, their largest action was at the Battle of Ulundi on July 4th 1879. As the original troopers were drawn from the FLH there uniform was heavily influenced by that of the FLH. Along with Martini-Henry and Snider carbines many men carried sabres and revolvers

Set# ZS22/V – NATAL LIGHT HORSE

NATALLIGHTHORSE.jpg

NATALLIGHTHORSEB.jpg

Cheers

Great find Martyn. Are they singles or 3 to a box?

ISANDLWANA 22nd January 1879 . 133 years ago today

Men of the Ist Battalion 24th Foot prepare to load

FRONTRANKRELOAD1.jpg

They manage to fire of several volleys before being overrun

FIRINGLINE1-1.jpg

Cheers

isandlwana 22nd january 1879 . 133 years ago today

men of the ist battalion 24th foot prepare to load

frontrankreload1.jpg

they manage to fire of several volleys before being overrun

firingline1-1.jpg

cheers

martyn:)

trophy made some great pieces and its great to see yours all lined up nicely, but i could never get past the pink faced versions trophy made. I have passed on some nice sets because of this. I have thought that there has to be a way to repaint them but instead decided to stay away. If i happen to win a set on ebay that come to pink i just resell them. Does anybody else feel this way?

trophy made some great pieces and its great to see yours all lined up nicely, but i could never get past the pink faced versions trophy made. I have passed on some nice sets because of this. I have thought that there has to be a way to repaint them but instead decided to stay away. If i happen to win a set on ebay that come to pink i just resell them. Does anybody else feel this way?

Hi Gary

Never had a problem with pink faces as this was the only style available when I bought the bulk of my Trophy AZW in the early '90's :salute::

Cheers

Even though I don't collect them - I think part of the charm of sets of Toy Soldiers like those produced by Trophy ( and many others) IS that they have pink faces, rosy cheeks - and all the rest of the classic "look" that makes them what they are - Glossy Toy Soldiers.

There are many other types of figures, miniature models - or whatever is the latest fad in names for them - many in Matt finish - with far more realistic features , shading and colouring, of course. But for me - Trophy retain that pink-faced look that I for one, just love - and wouldn't want them any other way. I suppose that's what makes the hobby so diverse and interesting. Wouldn't it be a shame if ALL Toy Soldiers looked the same?

I'm sure that if there IS some feature that any collector just can't live with - there are many other makes and types "out there" that they can.

even though i don't collect them - i think part of the charm of sets of toy soldiers like those produced by trophy ( and many others) is that they have pink faces, rosy cheeks - and all the rest of the classic "look" that makes them what they are - glossy toy soldiers.

There are many other types of figures, miniature models - or whatever is the latest fad in names for them - many in matt finish - with far more realistic features , shading and colouring, of course. But for me - trophy retain that pink-faced look that i for one, just love - and wouldn't want them any other way. I suppose that's what makes the hobby so diverse and interesting. Wouldn't it be a shame if all toy soldiers looked the same?

I'm sure that if there is some feature that any collector just can't live with - there are many other makes and types "out there" that they can.

i have over 2000 trophy pieces myself, so its not that i don't like them, its just the later years were painted more realistically instead of the earlier all bright pink pieces like the 24th firing gicop put up. So don't get me wrong, trophy is my favorite and i have alot of kc,frontline, little legion, conte , beau geaste, honourbound, britains, tommy atkins and so on. But if trophy was still around i would have alot less of all the other makers mentioned and more trophy.

Ah! - Now I understand better. Please don't think any criticism was involved in my reply Hawkeye - certainly NOT intended - as I would never criticise anyone for liking something that I didn't - or vice versa. We all like - what we like - and that's the way it ought to be. I was merely replying to your question "Does anyone else feel this way?" Short answer (from me) is no - I like them any way Len cared to paint them.

Lucky you to have over 2,000 of these little masterpieces. I don't think that I will EVER stop kicking myself though - as whilst Len was happily painting away in Penarth - I was blissfully ignorant of it, in those days - and I lived only 5 miles away from him in Cardiff!!! I was only painting in water-colours in those days though - and not involved with Toy Soldiers at that time. Heigh-Ho! Such is life.^&grin johnnybach

Many thanks also Tommy - nice to see the vehicle from the other side too.

I was expecting a larger "cart" based vehicle - but that one is really interesting, being quite small and elegant. Very nice, thanks to both of you for the opportunity to see them.

When I have hopefully assembled all of my bits and pieces, based on a Britains four-horse model, I think I'm going to make it up with British Boer War personnel - so will be quite different to this one - which I had never seen before.

Regards - johnnybach

Ah! - Now I understand better. Please don't think any criticism was involved in my reply Hawkeye - certainly NOT intended - as I would never criticise anyone for liking something that I didn't - or vice versa. We all like - what we like - and that's the way it ought to be. I was merely replying to your question "Does anyone else feel this way?" Short answer (from me) is no - I like them any way Len cared to paint them.

Lucky you to have over 2,000 of these little masterpieces. I don't think that I will EVER stop kicking myself though - as whilst Len was happily painting away in Penarth - I was blissfully ignorant of it, in those days - and I lived only 5 miles away from him in Cardiff!!! I was only painting in water-colours in those days though - and not involved with Toy Soldiers at that time. Heigh-Ho! Such is life.^&grin johnnybach

Hello "johnnybach":

Just saw this posting of yours by chance. Wow, you lived only 5 miles away from Trophy HQ and did not know Trophy was there in one of the old factory buildings converted to small businesses. My wife and I while on a Holiday in the UK took a day trip on 9 July 1995 by train to Cardiff and then on to Penarth via a local train, a 7 mile trip as I recall. Len Taylor picked us up at the Penarth Train Station for a visit at his operation in Sully, Wales very nearby. Len was a splendid host! I saw Trophy's Christmas set for 1995 being worked on, namely set# XM-20, "Over the Top". He had his son Stuart take us out to lunch at a nearby pub at their expense and the after saying good by back at Len's office we made our trip back to London to end the day. We paid a brief visit to Cardiff Castle by the way before going back to London. I was into Trophy big time back in 1995 and for some years after that and I still have plenty of Trophy Zulu War sets from Trophy! Good luck with your toy soldier collecting from now on!

Cheers! "Iron Brigade" / Gary

Very nice Tommy, bet you knew I would say that^&grin

"The Only One" set in the second picture is one of my favourites

Cheers

Thanks for featuring and sharing my favorite Trophy Series Tommy{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

This completes my early "Strategy" sets, the two Strategy in The Desert sets are in the Egypt and The Sudan thread

Battle Strategy – Anglo Zulu War

Set# TD1

BATTLESTRATEGY.jpg

BATTLESTRATEGYmaps.jpg

Cheers

The Battle of Gingindlovu was fought on 2 April 1879

Among the British forces present were the 60th Rifles and Naval Brigade , which included the Royal Marine Light Infantry and sailors from HMS Shah and HMS Boadicea. The Naval Brigade had several Gatling guns and Rocket Battery. The Naval Brigade Rocket Battery were different to the Royal Artillery version, the NB used tubes whereas the RA used troughs.

Here are the 60th Rifles, with their Commanding Officer Colonel F.V.Northey who lost his life in the action

gin60thrifles.jpg

These are soldiers of the Royal Marine Light Infantry

ginrmli.jpg

Some of the sailors from HMS Shah (recruited from Little Legion)

GINNB.jpg

The two Rocket tubes in action, commanded by Lieutenant Cane of the “Shah”

GINNBROCKETS2.jpg

GINNBROCKETS3.jpg

GINNBROCKETS1.jpg

Wagons - WBritain

Rocket tubes - GICOP

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back