U-96 U-Boat Set Sneak Peek (1 Viewer)

Type VIIC = 88.2 inches in 1/30

The idea of a U-Boat developed and sold in sections or modules has been raised by TS collectors in the past. IIRC, one manu expressed interest, while another indicated that some of the sections would be less desirable than others and would likely go unsold.

-Moe

I have quite a few TCS figures and armor pieces and I have never had any break. The armor is made with polystone; which is a polyurathane resin with fillers added, the same material used by K&C, Figarti, TG etc. The figures are made of Pewter, which is 99% Tin and about 1% Antimony typically. Pewter is used by K&C, TCS, W.Britains, TG for figures.

This item looks really fantastic...
I only wish TCS uses better materials than in the past. I stopped collecting TCS since my last roman spears, swords and figures pin bases broke as if they were made from some kind of rice dough or similar.

I have quite a few TCS figures and armor pieces and I have never had any break. The armor is made with polystone; which is a polyurathane resin with fillers added, the same material used by K&C, Figarti, TG etc. The figures are made of Pewter, which is 99% Tin and about 1% Antimony typically. Pewter is used by K&C, TCS, W.Britains, TG for figures.

What is your basis for metal content on the figs? As that is news to me on certain brands you are listing. For instance, a number of the brands have never released the content of their figures to my knowledge. I think you should verify facts like this before arbitrarily posting them. Britains has discussed many times in the past that they are completely lead free, I was unaware that any of the others have disclosed that information.

Tom

Modern Pewter as used in Toy Soldiers must be Lead free or the Lead content must be listed and a warning stating the contents contain toxic and or carcinogenic materials. The EU and US require disclosure of toxic material content. Many products have been recalled for violations of these regulations. Companies like K&C, TCS and TG who ship products internationally must abide by these regulations. Testing companies in the US frequently test toy imports for toxic content. Disclosure by the various Toy Soldier companies of the alloy that they use for their products is probably proprietary information and not disclosed except to a regulatory agency if required. A number of toys imported int the US from China have been found to use Lead paint and have been confiscated at the port of entry for use of hazardous materials.

The formulation of modern Pewter is free of Lead; but the alloy can vary as to additives such as Antimony. Tin is the principal material often exceeding 99% of the content of modern Pewter.

What is your basis for metal content on the figs? As that is news to me on certain brands you are listing. For instance, a number of the brands have never released the content of their figures to my knowledge. I think you should verify facts like this before arbitrarily posting them. Britains has discussed many times in the past that they are completely lead free, I was unaware that any of the others have disclosed that information.

Tom

This item looks really fantastic...
I only wish TCS uses better materials than in the past. I stopped collecting TCS since my last roman spears, swords and figures pin bases broke as if they were made from some kind of rice dough or similar.

Does anyone here have a clue what "Rice Dough" is.....Or is it joke time again ?

Wayne

Last edited:
Certainly a stunning model and most likely one of a kind for many years to come. Robin.

Here is a full view as shown on the Collector's Showcase website. 27" in total length.

Wayne

Attachments

• U96SPEC.jpg
    U96SPEC.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Beautiful piece, but I wonder the reason for not completing the front and rear sections. It looks a little unfinished. I'm sorry to say because it really is an impressive model.

Very impressive detail. Congratulations Brian on producing a superb model of U-96. The pricing seems very reasonable and the fact that you can buy what you want when you want it is excellent.

Beautiful piece, but I wonder the reason for not completing the front and rear sections. It looks a little unfinished. I'm sorry to say because it really is an impressive model.

Rob,

I bet this was done for 2 reasons.......size and cost. Must have been a tough decision whether or not to leave the sub as is at 27" and keep the cost at $1,299.00
Completed front and rear sections would have put the length at 38" + and pushed the price close to $1,600.00......Just my guess.
Appears that the Free Wooden Walnut Finished Diorama Frame comes when the sub is bought as a complete package deal.

Wayne

Last edited:
Rob,

I bet this was done for 2 reasons.......size and cost. Must have been a tough decision whether or not to leave the sub as is at 27" and keep the cost at $1,299.00
Completed front and rear sections would have put the length at 38" + and pushed the price close to $1,600.00......Just my guess.
Appears that the Free Wooden Walnut Finished Diorama Frame comes when the sub is bought as a complete package deal.

Wayne

I suspect that you are right on that guess, Wayne ....:rolleyes2:

Still it is quite an impressive piece for $1300.00.

When you think about it a bit ... if you can afford spending $1300, then for only (maybe) another $300 more. you would get a complete model.
I would probably go the last mile and get the extended sections ... If I could afford the original $1300. {sm2}

Good possibilities of reproducing some memorable scenes from DAS BOOT!

--- LaRRy

I still like it, please don't get me wrong. Makes sense. I also like how the water is separate as well as the figures. A beautiful piece and something that would draw a lot of attention on a coffee table, bookshelf, or mantle. Well done Collector's Showcase!

When you think about it a bit ... if you can afford spending $1300, then for only (maybe) another $300 more. you would get a complete model. I would probably go the last mile and get the extended sections ... If I could afford the original $1300. Good possibilities of reproducing some memorable scenes from DAS BOOT!

Completely agree Larry and I loved Das Boot!

I have to check out that frame now.

Modern Pewter as used in Toy Soldiers must be Lead free or the Lead content must be listed and a warning stating the contents contain toxic and or carcinogenic materials. The EU and US require disclosure of toxic material content. Many products have been recalled for violations of these regulations. Companies like K&C, TCS and TG who ship products internationally must abide by these regulations. Testing companies in the US frequently test toy imports for toxic content. Disclosure by the various Toy Soldier companies of the alloy that they use for their products is probably proprietary information and not disclosed except to a regulatory agency if required. A number of toys imported int the US from China have been found to use Lead paint and have been confiscated at the port of entry for use of hazardous materials.

The formulation of modern Pewter is free of Lead; but the alloy can vary as to additives such as Antimony. Tin is the principal material often exceeding 99% of the content of modern Pewter.[/QUOTE

I understand the rules, but can you please direct me to the Company releases that state the content of their figures? Last time I looked, all they say is "all metal" . My point is if you are going to post authoritative facts on a Company, please cite your references, anything else is an opinion or declaration, not a fact.

I think that Brian may be interested in producing the remaining sections of U-96 if there were sufficient interest among collectors. I would take a survey of my customers to determine how serious the interest is in a full length waterline model.

I am curious as to what materials are used to fabricate the model. Probably mixed media given the level of detail i.e. metal, resin ala Figarti. Figarti would have been very proud of this model IMO.

Very nice but it just doesn't look right not completed.
Mark

It's a great piece, something different. Well done.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back