Very sad, but happening all the time (1 Viewer)

One of the more interesting articles I have seen in a long time, and all to common and sad in regards to WW1 and the Western front. It will keep happening as farmers must plow, roads must be built, towns expand. It is just so poignant a reminder as we approach the centennial. -- Al

Great article Rob, an amazing historical find and fascinating look at life ..... and death in the trenches of WWI ..... thanks for posting that! :salute::

B.

Thanks Rob.
By reading it, the movie Beneath Hill 60 is coming back.

If there are any family members still around, it will bring some closure I suppose.

I think this was a very interesting article and I believe that they made some great finds. The soldiers remains that were recovered will now get a proper burial and if as Brad mentioned there are any surviving family members some closure. I hope they do an indepth show covering of what has been unearthed there because from what I saw there were many items discovered that they havent seen before. The aerial photo was very interesting as was the preservation of the wood work that went into the building of this complex. thanks for sharing Rob.

Dave

The readers comments at the end of the article are varied and interesting.

You're welcome guys, very interesting article. I think we will see more in the run up to the 100th anniversay and as the twenty year exploration of underground tunnels on the Western front unfolds over the years ahead. Its great when these old soldiers are discovered and can have a proper burial at last, and as Brad says, if it brings closure to families after all these years its a good thing.

Rob

Like just about everything I see or read about WWI, this article, while very interesting (thanks Rob!) leaves me thinking, how tragic. I wonder if the gentleman whose remains were recovered named Heidrich is any relation to one of the world's biggest b@stards, Reinhardt.

......................... I wonder if the gentleman whose remains were recovered named Heidrich is any relation to one of the world's biggest b@stards, Reinhardt.

Careful Louis with those @#+?! symbols. :wink2: I got a reprimand.

Sad story all around. I'm thinking of that French trench monument that has the bayonets or whats left of them projecting. That war was one big waste over alliances and colonies and just set up the next war. Not to mention the influenza.

A very interesting article, the Germans sure put some effort into their trenches, complete with resident goat.

Careful Louis with those @#+?! symbols. :wink2: I got a reprimand.

Sad story all around. I'm thinking of that French trench monument that has the bayonets or whats left of them projecting. That war was one big waste over alliances and colonies and just set up the next war. Not to mention the influenza.
To paraphrase a rather famous comedy troupe, "No one expects the Spanish Influenza." It was a horrific epidemic that swept the world at the worst possible time, killed more people than the war, and then disappeared. Many health experts fear it is dormant and will reappear again and with no vaccination being available, raise havoc once again. -- Al

Rob,
Thanks mate, you are always finding interesting things for us to look at. The Western Front will reveal many more of these sort of finds for generations yet I think.
Recently saw a doco on the ''GAS GUN" with Tony Robinson, an amazing weapon used by the British on the Somme which had been buried for 90 years, and was rediscovered
within a similar system of tunnels and dugouts.
Wayne.

Probably not as Reinhard was Heydrich not heidrich!!! Amazing how the mind works
Mitch

Like just about everything I see or read about WWI, this article, while very interesting (thanks Rob!) leaves me thinking, how tragic. I wonder if the gentleman whose remains were recovered named Heidrich is any relation to one of the world's biggest b@stards, Reinhardt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back