What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (1 Viewer)

Some of my firearms.
46692177494_3eb9e50018_c.jpg

Some of the items left out.

What specific firearms do you own? Are they collecter pieces or shooters? Or both? Very cool but I think you could do a better job of displaying them.

Here is a closeup of the Steiff Uhlan and the more than 100 year old Ulanka I will soon be displaying with the doll:

Attachments

• Blue & Yellow Ulanka 1 (2).jpg
    Blue & Yellow Ulanka 1 (2).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Uhlan in Situ 1 (2).jpg
    Uhlan in Situ 1 (2).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 337
Here's the new Ulanka with my two Steiff Uhlan Dolls (one of which is wearing the Chapka it is displayed with, and the other of which is wearing the matching Blue & Yellow Ulanka):

Attachments

• Blue & Yellow Ulanka 5.jpg
    Blue & Yellow Ulanka 5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 442
  • Blue & Yellow Ulanka 6.jpg
    Blue & Yellow Ulanka 6.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 376
  • Blue & Yellow Ulanka 7.jpg
    Blue & Yellow Ulanka 7.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 385
I just added the ultimate piece to my Steiff Soldier Doll collection: a Steiff WWI U.S. Army "Doughboy" wearing the uniform my grandfather wore in WWI!

Attachments

• Steiff Doughboy 1 (2).jpg
    Steiff Doughboy 1 (2).jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 386
  • Steiff Doughboy 8 (2).jpg
    Steiff Doughboy 8 (2).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Steiff Doughboy 7 (2).jpg
    Steiff Doughboy 7 (2).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 360
  • Steiff Doughboy 5 (2).jpg
    Steiff Doughboy 5 (2).jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 379
The Steiff Doughboy arrived safely and is going to be displayed with a matching WWI Uniform (like the one my grandfather wore) as soon as the mannequin I purchased for the purpose arrives:

Attachments

• Steiff Doughboy 10 (2).jpg
    Steiff Doughboy 10 (2).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Steiff Doughboy 13 (2).jpg
    Steiff Doughboy 13 (2).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Steiff Doughboy 12 (2).jpg
    Steiff Doughboy 12 (2).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 307
  • Steiff Doughboy 11 (2).jpg
    Steiff Doughboy 11 (2).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 334
The mannequin arrived, so I set up my WWI Doughboy Uniform next to my WWI Bersaglieri Uniform, and put the Steiff Doughboy and Bersaglieri dolls on display with them (the little kid on the Bersaglieri's hat is a Steiff Italian Boyscout doll from the 1920's, saluting the veterans. Once the matching overseas cap arrives, I will replace the Doughboy Uniform's cover. Here are some shots, from closeup to across the room:

Attachments

• Doughboy & Bersaglieri 4.jpg
    Doughboy & Bersaglieri 4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 395
  • Doughboy & Bersaglieri 2.jpg
    Doughboy & Bersaglieri 2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Doughboy & Bersaglieri 1.jpg
    Doughboy & Bersaglieri 1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 319
  • Doughboy & Bersaglieri 7.jpg
    Doughboy & Bersaglieri 7.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 306
  • Doughboy & Bersaglieri 5.jpg
    Doughboy & Bersaglieri 5.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 272
I also stumbled across this antique artist's doll depicting an Austrian Mercenary from the 1500's. When it arrives, I will display it with my K&C castle diorama:

Attachments

• Austrian Mercenary Doll 1.jpg
    Austrian Mercenary Doll 1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Austrian Mercenary Doll 2.jpg
    Austrian Mercenary Doll 2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 319
  • Austrian Mercenary Doll 4.jpg
    Austrian Mercenary Doll 4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Austrian Mercenary Doll 3.jpg
    Austrian Mercenary Doll 3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 347
The overseas cap arrived, so the recreation of my Grandfather's uniform with real period militaria is now complete:

Attachments

• Overseas Cap 2.jpg
    Overseas Cap 2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 787
  • Overseas Cap 3.jpg
    Overseas Cap 3.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 307
Some photos of the circa 1500 Austrian Mercenary Doll on display with a King & Country castle diorama:

Attachments

• Austrian Mercenary Doll 5.jpg
    Austrian Mercenary Doll 5.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Austrian Mercenary Doll 6.jpg
    Austrian Mercenary Doll 6.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Austrian Mercenary Doll 7.jpg
    Austrian Mercenary Doll 7.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 279
Muppets and Classic characters from Children's literature.

Attachments

• Muppets.jpeg
    Muppets.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 281
I became a fan of the Muppets in the 1970s when I was teaching Art History at the University of Hartford (Connecticut). One of the studio instructors there invited 2 of the main makers of the Muppets to come and do a workshop one Saturday. One of the makers was Kermit Love for whom the frog was named. I remember modifying white plastic spoons and ping pong balls to make the eyes of the characters. It was such a loss that Jim Henson died suddenly in May 1990 at age 53 from toxic shock syndrome, an unexpected event that was widely lamented in the media and entertainment industry. My family has a number of Muppet ornaments that we use to decorate our Christmas tree each year: Fozzie, the Swedish Chef, Kermit, and Bert & Ernie. The first 3 came with sound so you have Kermit singing, Fozzie telling his corny jokes, and the Swedish Chef "cooking" a meal and battling with gun toting crayfish that he wants to boil in his pot^&grin
Randy

Last edited:
I became a fan of the Muppets in the 1970s when I was teaching Art History at the University of Hartford (Connecticut). One of the studio instructors there invited 2 of the main makers of the Muppets to come and do a workshop one Saturday. One of the makers was Kermit Love for whom the frog was named. I remember modifying white plastic spoons and ping pong balls to make the eyes of the characters. It was such a loss that Jim Henson died suddenly in May 1990 at age 53 from toxic shock syndrome, an unexpected event that was widely lamented in the media and entertainment industry. My family has a number of Muppet ornaments that we use to decorate our Christmas tree each year: Fozzie, the Swedish Chef, Kermit, and Bert & Ernie. The first 3 came with sound so you have Kermit singing, Fozzie telling his corny jokes, and the Swedish Chef "cooking" a meal and battling with gun toting crayfish that he wants to boil in his pot^&grin
Randy
Used to watch it with my kids. Loved the wise-cracking old timers in the balcony and the Swedish Chef. A classic show in every way. -- Al

I just got this 18 inch tall WWI Russian Imperial Guard Cavalryman Doll by Harwin (the company Steiff's Agent in Britain opened when WWI cut off trade with Germany) for about 1/5 of what they ordinarily go for.^&cool

Attachments

• Harwin Russian Soldier Doll 1.jpg
    Harwin Russian Soldier Doll 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Harwin Russian Soldier Doll 2.jpg
    Harwin Russian Soldier Doll 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 199
  • Harwin Russian Soldier Doll 4.jpg
    Harwin Russian Soldier Doll 4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 230
Here are photos of WWI Harwin Dolls of a British Infantryman and a French Soldier, unfortunately not for sale:

Attachments

• Harwin 1916 British Soldier Doll.jpg
    Harwin 1916 British Soldier Doll.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Harwin 1918 German or French Soldier Doll 1.jpg
    Harwin 1918 German or French Soldier Doll 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 211
I picked up something really neat for my Civil War New York Volunteer regiments collection: a set of epaulets in the original tin box from the 7th Albany Volunteer Heavy Artillery:

Attachments

• 7th Albany Epaulets 1.jpg
    7th Albany Epaulets 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 7th Albany Epaulets 2.jpg
    7th Albany Epaulets 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 7th Albany Epaulets 3.jpg
    7th Albany Epaulets 3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 7th Albany Epaulets 4.jpg
    7th Albany Epaulets 4.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 7th Albany Epaulets 5.jpg
    7th Albany Epaulets 5.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 238
I also picked up some nice drawings of the 5th New York and 14th Brooklyn during the Civil War:

Attachments

• 14th Brooklyn Drawing 1.jpg
    14th Brooklyn Drawing 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 252
I love the Russian cavalry doll, but those epaulets are really something. I recently bid on a pair of medical epaulets, but I chickened out when they got really high because I had some minor doubts they were not authentic. Yours certainly are, and they are in amazing condition to boot!

I’m currently in the process of considering buying something really, REALLY cool. Any experts on American Revolution period Native American items?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back