What else do you collect beside toy soldiers (6 Viewers)

A few shots of some of the WWI period children's uniforms I have obtained, on display with the WWI uniforms their fathers would have worn:

Attachments

• 1 1914 Child's French Artillery Uniform 1.jpg
    1 1914 Child's French Artillery Uniform 1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 1 1914 Child's French Artillery Uniform 2.jpg
    1 1914 Child's French Artillery Uniform 2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 1 1914 Child's French Cavalry Officer Uniform 1.jpg
    1 1914 Child's French Cavalry Officer Uniform 1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 1 1914 Child's French Cavalry Officer Uniform 2.jpg
    1 1914 Child's French Cavalry Officer Uniform 2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 1 1914 Child's French Cavalry Officer Uniform 3.jpg
    1 1914 Child's French Cavalry Officer Uniform 3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 254
A few more . . .

Attachments

• 1 1914 Child's British Officer Uniform 1.jpg
    1 1914 Child's British Officer Uniform 1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 1 1914 Child's Junior Marine Scout Uniform 1.jpg
    1 1914 Child's Junior Marine Scout Uniform 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 1 1914 Child's Junior Marine Scout Uniform 2.jpg
    1 1914 Child's Junior Marine Scout Uniform 2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 1 1914 Child's Zouave Uniform 1.jpg
    1 1914 Child's Zouave Uniform 1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 1 1914 Child's Zouave Uniform 2.jpg
    1 1914 Child's Zouave Uniform 2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 234
I took my Garand out to the shooting range Saturday, and had such a good time that I called the gun store I bought it from and grabbed myself an M1 Carbine that I had looked at when I bought it. Photos to follow when I pick it up this weekend.:salute::

Attachments

• 1 1 Calvarton Range 1.jpg
    1 1 Calvarton Range 1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 1 1 Calvarton Range 2.jpg
    1 1 Calvarton Range 2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 227
That range looks awesome !! Have fun with the carbine. Might not be able to reach out to those far targets though...lol

Louis, if you continue to go to the range with your Garand, get a sling. It will stabilize your rifle even more. Very nice range. How far can you shoot at targets?

Louis, if you continue to go to the range with your Garand, get a sling. It will stabilize your rifle even more. Very nice range. How far can you shoot at targets?

There are targets at 50 meters, 100 meters and 200 meters, but my favorite is picking a random object on the hill beyond the 200 meter targets and "plinking" at it with pistols as well as rifles.{sm4}

Picked up my WWII M1 Carbine. Because I don't yet have a 1903 Springfield, I have it displayed with my grandfather's doughboy uniform:

Attachments

• 1 1914 M1 Carbine 1.jpg
    1 1914 M1 Carbine 1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 1 1914 M1 Carbine 2.jpg
    1 1914 M1 Carbine 2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 239
Found this Child's WWI Doughboy Uniform Tunic sold by Marshall Fields in 1917:

Attachments

• 1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 1 (2).jpg
    1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 1 (2).jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 2 (2).jpg
    1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 2 (2).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 3 (2).jpg
    1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 3 (2).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 4 (2).jpg
    1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 4 (2).jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 242
  • 1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 5 (2).jpg
    1 1914 Child's Doughboy Tunic 5 (2).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 242
I have 8 M1s and 4 carbines which I shoot at a local range from time to time. I'm also a GCA member and look fwd to reading your article Scott. :salute:: Chris

Hi mate, did you see the article?😃😎

Scott

Hi mate, did you see the article?😃😎

Scott

Yes, good article Scott. Your enthusiasm for the M-1 came thru very well. But as a Garrand collector, it pains me to see such historical firearms butchered into non-firing condition if you know what I mean. Chris

I figured it was about time to add some rifles that are not older than I am, so I picked up a modern Browning Automatic Rifle (which I am in the process of choosing a scope for) and a Ruger Carbine, to which I added a red-dot scope. I had a ball with the Ruger at the range. Firing at a target at the far end of the range I marveled at the ease and accuracy of using a red dot scope instead of firing over open sights (when my eyes are so bad all I can see is a blurry white rectangle with a blurry black dot) like I had been doing. Next time I go to the range I'll take some photos of the new additions.

I figured it was about time to add some rifles that are not older than I am, so I picked up a modern Browning Automatic Rifle (which I am in the process of choosing a scope for) and a Ruger Carbine, to which I added a red-dot scope. I had a ball with the Ruger at the range. Firing at a target at the far end of the range I marveled at the ease and accuracy of using a red dot scope instead of firing over open sights (when my eyes are so bad all I can see is a blurry white rectangle with a blurry black dot) like I had been doing. Next time I go to the range I'll take some photos of the new additions.
Here's the Ruger Carbine with the Red-Dot Scope and a photo of one of the targets I shot after I zeroed-in the scope:

Attachments

• 1 9mm Ruger Carbine 1.jpg
    1 9mm Ruger Carbine 1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 1 9mm Ruger Carbine 2.jpg
    1 9mm Ruger Carbine 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 259
My son Alec and I attended the Britain's Toy Soldier Symposium in Gettysburg this weekend. At the banquet on Saturday night, I was fortunate enough to be seated with a nice couple, the wife of whom, Juanita, mentioned she had a couple of real period children's uniforms she wanted to sell, a Civil War child's Zouave jacket and vest (gilette) and an 1876 Marine Band child's tunic made by a government contractor for the Centennial Celebration, because there was a child's honor band that marched with the Marine Band. I immediately paid her cash and she brought the uniforms Sunday afternoon. Erika Osen, an expert on antique textiles, had her eyes light up as soon as she saw the Zouave uniform. She recognized the fabric as being real Civil War period cloth that was used by military contractors to make these uniforms, thereby authenticating the Zouave uniform as actually being made during the war, or being cut from a real uniform and sewn for a child after the war. Either way, I am just blown away!

Attachments

• 1863 Child's Zouave Uniform 1.jpg
    1863 Child's Zouave Uniform 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 235
  • 1876 Child's Marine Band Uniform 1.jpg
    1876 Child's Marine Band Uniform 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 1876 Child's Marine Band Uniform 2.jpg
    1876 Child's Marine Band Uniform 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 234
As some of you may recall, my Uncle Joe, Tech Sergeant Joseph Amana, the radio operator on the B17 Rikki Tikki Tavi, flying from the RAF Airfield at Snetterton Heath, was killed in action on May 6, 1944, on his 21st mission, bombing Berlin. I finally found a flight jacket to go with the sheepskin coveralls and cap to complete a recreation of his uniform as it appears in this photograph of him taken at Snetterton Heath:

Attachments

• 1944 USAAC Flight Jacket 1.jpg
    1944 USAAC Flight Jacket 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 1944 USAAC Flight Jacket 2.jpg
    1944 USAAC Flight Jacket 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 1944 USAAC Flight Jacket 3.jpg
    1944 USAAC Flight Jacket 3.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 221
As several of you know I collect WW1/WW2 US Medic and Corpsman related items as well as toy soldiers. Not being too big headed :rolleyes2: but I bet there ain't too many US Navy memorabilia collectors have any part of their collections featured by the NATIONAL MUSEUM of the UNITED STATES NAVY, Washington, D.C. ^&grin

Several years ago I was lucky enough to get my hands on an original S14-075, Kit, Parachutist that were rigger made and used in WW2, I posted pictures of my set on the US MILITARIA FORUM and from there a single picture of it has appeared in CORPSMAN UP! a packet that has been produced by the NMUSN for Elementary schools to show how U.S. NAVY Hospital Corpsmen operated in WW2:cool:

Here are two screen shots taken from NMUSN CORPSMAN UP!
The third and fourth pictures show my pack again, the original pictures were taken on the patio in our rear garden.
I emailed the Museum to see if I could get a mention being the S14-075 owner but heard nothing back
{sm2}

This would appear to be a very rare pack, especially as each pocket has the correct unopened contents. Perhaps I should get in touch with Goldin Auctions, if they can flog an old bubble gum card for $500,000 I may get a few bob for this ^&grin^&grin

Attachments

• CORPSMAN UP! 1.jpg
    CORPSMAN UP! 1.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 168
  • CORPSMAN UP! 2.jpg
    CORPSMAN UP! 2.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 168
  • CORPSMAN & PARAMARINE S14.jpg
    CORPSMAN & PARAMARINE S14.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 172
  • CORPSMAN & PARAMARINE S14 OPEN.jpg
    CORPSMAN & PARAMARINE S14 OPEN.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 171
Wow that's an interesting none TS hobby Martyn, I have a few old surplus bits and bobs myself from Cadet and camping days but nothing as interesting as the unusual medic bag. only uncommon thing I have is a faded 1950's US canteen cover marked USMC instead of the usual US !

I sympathise with you on credit not being duly given even when not asking any financial recompense.
A few years ago I used to quite regularly get requests to use photos of mine in publications and when asked what fee I charged always just said to be credited and if they were feeling generous a copy of the book. Some kept their promise like the Folio Society in their three volume set Pagans and Christians and did both, others didn't do either !

As some of you may recall, my Uncle Joe, Tech Sergeant Joseph Amana, the radio operator on the B17 Rikki Tikki Tavi, flying from the RAF Airfield at Snetterton Heath, was killed in action on May 6, 1944, on his 21st mission, bombing Berlin. I finally found a flight jacket to go with the sheepskin coveralls and cap to complete a recreation of his uniform as it appears in this photograph of him taken at Snetterton Heath:

Hello Louis,

Don't know if you are familiar with the American Air Museum site(UK)
but there is some info about your uncle, his aircraft(B17-#42-3324), fellow crew members,
etc. here:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/person/joseph-j-amanna

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/aircraft/42-3324

BTW:here is the link about my uncle's plane-A-20, #43-9502, "Mopsy", including one

photo of its vertical stabilizer getting shot off on a (last)mission to Rouen, August 4, 1944-taken
by a crew member of another A-20 flying directly below.

My uncle and the other gunner ended up as POWs, the pilot was KIA.
The pilot, Lt. Thomas G. Walsh, did his best to keep the plane airborne so as to give his fellow crew members
enough time to bail out-my uncle was eternally grateful to Lt. Walsh:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/aircraft/43-9502

Hello Louis,

Don't know if you are familiar with the American Air Museum site(UK)
but there is some info about your uncle, his aircraft(B17-#42-3324), fellow crew members,
etc. here:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/person/joseph-j-amanna

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/aircraft/42-3324

BTW:here is the link about my uncle's plane-A-20, #43-9502, "Mopsy", including one

photo of its vertical stabilizer getting shot off on a (last)mission to Rouen, August 4, 1944-taken
by a crew member of another A-20 flying directly below.

My uncle and the other gunner ended up as POWs, the pilot was KIA.
The pilot, Lt. Thomas G. Walsh, did his best to keep the plane airborne so as to give his fellow crew members
enough time to bail out-my uncle was eternally grateful to Lt. Walsh:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/aircraft/43-9502

Roan,

Thank you very much for the links! I :salute::really appreciate it. The information I already had about my Uncle's death also came via a member of this forum, Zach Bogues, who himself was a FAC in Vietnam.

An article I worked with Ken Osen on about Patriotism & Propaganda in Childrens Toys from 1870-1918 has been published in the just released W.Britains "The Standard" Magazine. The photos in the article are almost all of some of the non-toy soldier items I collect, including real period WWI uniforms, Steiff and Harwin Soldier Dolls, and Children's Uniforms and Toy weapons.

Attachments

• Propoganda Article 1.jpg
    Propoganda Article 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Propoganda Article 2.jpg
    Propoganda Article 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 161
  • Propoganda Article 3.jpg
    Propoganda Article 3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Propoganda Article 4.jpg
    Propoganda Article 4.jpg