What Toy Soldier items Have You Acquired in The Last 2 Weeks ? (1 Viewer)

CBG Mignot Box BBR03 Grenadier Hollandais

WR-DSC_0076.jpg

and 2 woodhouse for 54mm range

WR-DSC_0074.jpg WR-DSC_0075.jpg

Incoming last week.........:salute::

AmericanDDAYMedic1.jpg

Just in.... to go with above set {sm4}

AmbulanceJeep.jpg

This is to me a "prized" set I don't see everyday for sale - but the head gear is broken {sm2}

It is not so simply super-glue fix it job as the paint also chipped (getting a matching gold paint is the difficult part) - a pity else this piece is mint - sigh

View attachment 152879

PS: As I am no modeller, repairing this myself would be very very "challenging"

Small job with a pin vice - drill 2mm hole in either side of the break and insert pin and super glue. If the break was not clean, then the addition of a little 'green stuff' available from Games Workshop should fill any gaps. Then a touch up with a little paint should see it looking as good as new but stronger than new :)

Just in.......

38T.jpg

Got above Turret 202 in June 2013 - no crews until now ! Finally got these to go with it.....

PanzerTankCrews.jpg

Need to paint them first though - below is a mock-up (in Photoshop) what it should look like when completed (Officer, Officer and NCO) based on my research of panzer crew uniforms and ranks.

(If you spot any discrepancies or errors in the uniform rank, patches, etc. do let me know.)

PanzerTankCrews-2.jpg

Not sure I want to remove the side-arm of this NCO and paint the belt in brown as well - what do you think - it look better WITH or WITHOUT sidearm holster ?

Historically does German NCO Panzer crew carry sidearms ?

PanzerTankCrews-1.jpg (No sidearm holster)

PS: The 2 figures on the right I tested on the 38T - fits perfectly in the open hatch and the posture looks simply FANTASTIC ! The Officer on the left cannot fit as there is a sidearm holster in the side of the figure that makes it too "big" to go in the hatch

Mate they look great look forward to pics of them in there tanks,and without he took it off and left it hanging inside.

I refuse to comment on the basis that it may infringe on my 5th amendment collecting rights. However, my Toy Soldier Collecting Attorney MR. ZB LANG (Esquire) from Mass-a-Chew-sets can certainly release any and all information on the sets he out bid me on in the last weeks.

Humbly,

John from Texas

Haha! come come now - couldn't have been many! Once we get the stuff from the auction, we'll all have to post photos so we know who to be mad at for beating them up on the auction block! I wanna meet the guy who got the PLA set in a dark alley! hah {eek3}

Haha! come come now - couldn't have been many! Once we get the stuff from the auction, we'll all have to post photos so we know who to be mad at for beating them up on the auction block! I wanna meet the guy who got the PLA set in a dark alley! hah {eek3}

Yeah ZB I am with you on the PLA set. I really would like to "straighten him out" too. You let me know when the rumble in the PLA is going to be and I will be there.

Seriously though, who ever got the set (High Roller Brad...stop lying) congrats!

John from Texas

I very recently found these six castings at a Car Boot Sale - somewhere in the South of England. I found them on a Toy stall - in a cardboard box under the table (always worth poking around!). The guy selling them told me that he didn't know who made them - and I didn't say what I thought either. After the usual negotiations - I didn't pay a lot for them, but we were both happy with the transaction - I'm happy to tell.

I think that I know what they are - and who sculpted them - and for who - and have since ID'd several as individual Knights. I have asked a very knowledgeable friend of mine here, to either confirm my suspicions of what they are - and who made them - but until he confirms or denies my suspicions - anyone care to make a few guesses - for a bit of fun??:D

They are around 54mm size - and made from mostly white-metal with some soldered tin parts (rein guards and shields) and are on a tin-plate stand with clipped corners. They have no signature - or manufacturers marks anywhere. They are coated in a thin film of what looks like white primer - with some light rust spots on some tinplate parts. I'm guessing that they could have been made around the 1960's?? - and are in pretty good condition generally - so should eventually paint up well.

The second figure in from the left - has so far defied my identification - so could just be "A Knight with an Axe".

So..........just for fun...............Any ideas on:

Sculptor?

When Made??

TS Manufacturer/Supplier??

Identities of all six???

Hi Johnny,
I am very happy for you...these are gems Worth having a pro paint them....
See below my answers.
Cheers
Artillery_Crazy

I very recently found these six castings at a Car Boot Sale - somewhere in the South of England. I found them on a Toy stall - in a cardboard box under the table (always worth poking around!). The guy selling them told me that he didn't know who made them - and I didn't say what I thought either. After the usual negotiations - I didn't pay a lot for them, but we were both happy with the transaction - I'm happy to tell.

I think that I know what they are - and who sculpted them - and for who - and have since ID'd several as individual Knights. I have asked a very knowledgeable friend of mine here, to either confirm my suspicions of what they are - and who made them - but until he confirms or denies my suspicions - anyone care to make a few guesses - for a bit of fun??:D

They are around 54mm size - and made from mostly white-metal with some soldered tin parts (rein guards and shields) and are on a tin-plate stand with clipped corners. They have no signature - or manufacturers marks anywhere. They are coated in a thin film of what looks like white primer - with some light rust spots on some tinplate parts. I'm guessing that they could have been made around the 1960's?? - and are in pretty good condition generally - so should eventually paint up well.

The second figure in from the left - has so far defied my identification - so could just be "A Knight with an Axe".

So..........just for fun...............Any ideas on:

Sculptor?.....C.STADDEN

When Made??.....Late 70´s or even earlier...." Trooper" most likely knows a lot more on the when....

TS Manufacturer/Supplier??

Identities of all six???

Hi Luiz - I think you are correct as to the sculptor of these wonderful finds that I made. I could hardly believe my luck.

I too, think that they were originally sculpted by Charles Stadden. I think they are from around mid sixties. I have asked an expert - and am waiting for a reply to conform what I think. The name of Charles Stadden was almost synonomous with the Tradition Company around that time - and I think these could have been produced for them. Here are a couple more pics below - showing the first three I have been stripping of the quite badly applied thin coat of decaying flat white paint - which I think was applied as a priming coat - quite some time ago. The following pic. is one from an old Tradition brochure - and is of Bertrand du Guesclin - a prominent Breton Knight who was Constable of France from 1370 until his death in 1380.

The horse pose is slightly different and the weapon/arm has changed from the picture to my casting - from a mace to a lance - but I think they are clearly by the same hand.

I think that I now have ideas on the identities of the others too - but I'll leave those for now - to see if anyone else has any ideas on the rest.

As to painting - I bought them to paint myself - so I'll have a go at these first. If I mess them up - they can always be stripped off again, for someone else to try later.

Well done:D - jb

Hi Luiz - I think you are correct as to the sculptor of these wonderful finds that I made. I could hardly believe my luck.

I too, think that they were originally sculpted by Charles Stadden. I think they are from around mid sixties. I have asked an expert - and am waiting for a reply to conform what I think. The name of Charles Stadden was almost synonomous with the Tradition Company around that time - and I think these could have been produced for them. Here are a couple more pics below - showing the first three I have been stripping of the quite badly applied thin coat of decaying flat white paint - which I think was applied as a priming coat - quite some time ago. The following pic. is one from an old Tradition brochure - and is of Bertrand du Guesclin - a prominent Breton Knight who was Constable of France from 1370 until his death in 1380.

The horse pose is slightly different and the weapon/arm has changed from the picture to my casting - from a mace to a lance - but I think they are clearly by the same hand.

I think that I now have ideas on the identities of the others too - but I'll leave those for now - to see if anyone else has any ideas on the rest.

As to painting - I bought them to paint myself - so I'll have a go at these first. If I mess them up - they can always be stripped off again, for someone else to try later.

Well done:D - jb

Okay - no more guesses received - so I'll tell you what I have found out.

Firstly, my old pal has confirmed that they are Staddens - and that they are a modular experiment which took place at Tradition of London - in that the heads, arms weapons etcetera were made to be interchangeable. This was discontinued later - and not transferred to any figures other than the knights. They could be older than 1960 - as they were in production this way, when my friend joined the Company in 1960 - so could date from the Fifties. They are therefore well over 50 years old.

From the left of my first pic. I think I have:

Harry Hotspur - wearing the cap of maintenance on top of his helm.
"A Norman Knight" - this figure is really the odd man out - as he has the typical long shield and is clad in chain mail with no plate armour. (see in background above).
Bertrand du Guesclin, Constable of France ( see above).
Thomas de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick - in jousting helm with swan ornament.
William de Clinton - with head atop his helm. ( I think this is a good example of a modular figure - as the helm with head ornament is clearly a different colour metal to the rest of the figure - once the paint was removed. Again - see in background above.
King Henry V.

Delighted with them all - but especially the last figure - as I had been considering making a mounted version of Henry V - by conversion - for my "Agincourt" collection. I now have one - and he's a Stadden!!! Doesn't get much better than that.:cool:

Cheers all "likes" - glad you like 'em too. I'll be painting these up - rather carefully, in due course. :D jb

Last edited:
The drop zones have been secured.... I was able to pick up some missing sets from a fellow treefrogger.... dam fog in England must have held them up lol

Attachments

• treefrog.JPG
    treefrog.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 261

Users who are viewing this thread

Back