World Cup (1 Viewer)

You play both periods. No sudden death. I think both teams were trying to win. Colombia was better in the first extra period, England in the second.

Disappointing. Colombia had it and blew it.

None of the four remaining teams in this bracket has been impressive. Any of the teams in the other bracket could beat them.

The Colombia England match is a fight until the death. Vamos muchachos!

Football quality against football quality displayed in today's game, Colombia IMHO deserved to win, but if you don't do it in 120 min, the penalty kicks are like playing the lottery...

Carlos, you might find this brief article interesting.

Neymar Fools Mexico.

Yes, very interesting, and certainly paints one of the many true facets of Neymar. Anyway, despite the fact that he is hard hit in most games he plays, I’m among those who criticize him for his ridiculous acting... not what you’d expect from a 26 year old professional football star :rolleyes2:

A predictable result. France continues its march up South America ^&grin

Beginning to look like a bad day for South America. -- Al

Another disappointment. Brasil had many chances, more than Belgium, but couldn’t find the equalizer.

I have little interest in any of the remaining teams.

Beginning to look like a bad day for South America. -- Al
A little surprised that Brazil couldn't at least tie it up. They bombarded the Belgian goal, outshooting them 25-8. Had some really good shots in the last 10 minutes but couldn't get them to go. So, EuroCup it is. -- Al

France overcame Argentina (great game in the second half from the "bleus" with splendid goals)

th

France will play Belgium and this should be a great game (of course I hope that France will win :wink2:)

Another disappointment. Brasil had many chances, more than Belgium, but couldn’t find the equalizer.

I have little interest in any of the remaining teams.

A bad day for South America... I also have little interest in those left; I must say, however, that to me the two best remaining are France and Belgium, so for me the final will be next Tuesday.

One of the other four will be on the final, but frankly I see little merit so far, (in terms of quality of their football), in any of their campaigns.

This is definitely a “different” WC, and as so maybe a turning point in terms of what has been up to today “traditional” football and its superpowers...

Carlos,

I wasn’t sure you’d post as I know how difficult this must be for people in Brasil. In some ways, losing a tough close game is tougher than a blowout.

Tough day for South America to be sure. I knew that without Cavani, Uruguay would have a tough time. Both goals were preventable as was the own goal.

Latin America has had not much success lately. Here’s an article about why that might be case, https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/...lights&contentPlacement=5&pgtype=sectionfront

Did you get the email I sent you about Machado de Asís?

Brad

Sweden is putting me to sleep. Conversely, England is shooting Sweden to pieces, so how aren't they leading by 3 or 4 goals? They sure blew some great scoring chances. -- Al

Sweden is putting me to sleep. Conversely, England is shooting Sweden to pieces, so how aren't they leading by 3 or 4 goals? They sure blew some great scoring chances. -- Al
England to the semis. Good job. -- Al

You have to feel bad for the Russians but they had a very good tournament.

The Croatian manager looks like a Shemp Howard look alike winner.

The Russian manager would look good in the turret of a T34/85.

As far as the game; after the first 90 minutes, it should be 2 fifteen minute periods with sudden death; ie, the first team that scores wins.

If no one scores in those two fifteen minute periods, then go to the shoot out, or as I call it, the choke out as the team that chokes loses; they either score, the shot whistles wide of the goal or they kick the ball right to the goalkeeper.

So that's my .02...……………….

A few world cups back it was sudden death as you described it but then they changed it back to the old system, which I like better.

Now we have France x Belgium and England x Croatia. Both England and France have one WC championship each. It will be interesting if the final goes Belgium x Croatia; it would be the cherry on top of this one-of-a-kind WC {sm4}{sm4}{sm4}{sm4}
Frankly I’ll love to see that final!

As of today’s games England won fair and square. The other game, just as Brad said, yes, you have to feel sorry for the Russians, it was clear that they gave it their all...

Well, France is in with a 1-0 win over Belgium. Kind of like to see England get in to continue the oh so ancient rivalry between the two nations.:wink2:
Rookie soccer question: I see stats posted during the games that post the number of shots and the number of shots on goal. What is the difference? Aren't all shots taken at the goal? What else would you shoot at? Shouldn't it just be one stat? -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back