Your 1st car..model, make year (1 Viewer)

My first set of wheels Sam was a 1980 Toyota Corolla very similar to the pic below that I got off the net. It wasn't a chick magnet but it was reliable, cheap on fuel and got me from A to B.

Tom

Yellow cars were fairly common in the 1980's, plenty of Yellow Toyotas and Datsuns, etc around back then, one of the rarer car colours these days.

1971 Mk3 Cortina gt , cost me $2000 was an ex taxi so had done plenty of km,s .
Closely followed by a mk 4 zephyr , bench seats front and back so heaps of fun as a teenager.

First car was in 1979 and was a white Triumph Spitfire. Can't remember the year but probably 71/72.

HK$5,000 which was about 2 months pay for a Police Inspector in Hong Kong. Paid for with overtime money. Was considered a good buy at the time. Only realised a few months later why the seller had to leave the Police suddenly. He was one of the first in Hong Kong to try the "fax directory" scam (ie. sell space in a directory that never gets published). Not a good look for a Commercial Crimes Detective Inspector who had got legal advice that difficult to prove such cases. He then went and did same thing himself and lost promising career and pension.

Was the officer in charge of a small drugs squad at the time and used to drive around late at night with top off and three squad members perched up on the back with their feet on the seats. Not exactly undercover but we did look cool :cool:

2nd car was a canary yellow Mazda 323.

If I was a criminal of some kind, and wanting to avoid surveillance, I would be driving a grey SUV as every 2nd car now seems to be one. Oops, that is what I am driving now ! Seems most of the colour gone from cars now and sometimes gets confusing in the car park.

Someone posted this question on Facebook and had a lot of laughs with it!!!

My 1st car was a puke brown 74 Dodge Dart Swinger!!!!! couldn't have gotten any uglier a design if they'd tried, loved pulling into the High school parking lot in the mid 80's in that baby!!! but it became a good dependable party ride, put in a great stereo, drove like a tank, many a fun night was had in the ol gal.
Oh my God! Sammy my first car was a 1973 puke Brown Plymouth Valient, the only difference from a Dodge Dart being the tags! The same reliable flat six engine, the same butt ugly design. I got mine in 1986, with almost 200,000 miles on a car old enough to be bar mitzvahed. And let me tell you, it sure beat walking!

Sammy, Louis, granted the Dodge/Plymouth designs may have lacked a certain sleekness, but they are beautiful when compared to the Terrible Trio offered by AMC back in the day, possibly the 3 ugliest cars ever built, the Pacer, the Gremlin, and the Matador. To this day, I have no idea how these 3 abominations got into production and got sold to the American public. Apologies to anyone who may have owned and loved one of these, but they sure were butt ugly.{eek3} -- Al

Oh my God! Sammy my first car was a 1973 puke Brown Plymouth Valient, the only difference from a Dodge Dart being the tags! The same reliable flat six engine, the same butt ugly design. I got mine in 1986, with almost 200,000 miles on a car old enough to be bar mitzvahed. And let me tell you, it sure beat walking!

Good to hear there was at least one another member here that didn't own a Corvette, MG, etc. :) Don't know how you guys afforded such nice cars!! my piece of junk was 100.00 a month and between playing sports, bagging groceries I barely could do the 100.00!!!! ^&grin

2 CV Citroën 1955. It looked like this one but was not in such good shape :rolleyes2: My younger sister totaled the car during my military service...

2631380citroen-2cv-1955-2.jpg

a 1971 Mercury Comet...

black...with a low hp six cylinder...

I loved that car...spent all mt free time and money on add ons...

glass pack muffler...wide back tires...new radio/stereo/8 track and speakers...'

I loved cleaning it and waxing it...

based on the Ford Maverick...it was a real turd...but I loved that car...

to this day...

I will never buy another black car...I loved that car...but one cruise down the Seawall and it was dirty...

whenever I think of it...it reminds me of the Gino Vannelli song...

"Black Cars Look Better In The Shade"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m39piBT2vE

Attachments

• 1971MercuryComet02.jpg
    1971MercuryComet02.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 187
1978 Chrysler LeBaron Sport 2 door - V8 - white with a red top! Stylin and Profiling, had fun burning rubber!

TD

My first car was supposed to be a 1971 Mercury Cougar XR7 but then a school bus totaled it on a snowy day!

This is a great thread.

The first car I had never went on the road. My mom bought me a 53 Chevy coup to fix up when I was 17. It was a stick 3 speed column shift. I used to back it all the way up to the back fence and kick it in - get to 2nd gear and slam on the brakes before I got to the sidewalk. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was a menace. Too bad I didn't do something with it because it was cute car. The first car I bought was a '68 Camaro RS with the smaller V8 block automatic when i got back from the Navy. It was yellow with black vinyl roof. What a cream puff. But 9 months later I traded it in for a '68 Triumph GT6 fast back hardtop 6 cylinder with 4 speed. That was a ton of fun. It fit the bill for semi competitive fun road rallies that i got involved in on LI. I wish I had pics of these cars.

Joe

Last edited:
Carlos, Go For Broke and Ed E.

The MGB, Alfa Romeo, and Volkswagon Gia I also remember fondly - great little sports cars. Though the one that I really wanted but couldn't afford was the 67 and 1/2 Austin Healy. I thought that was the sweetheart of sports cars in those latter 60s. It was all good.

Joe

In 1960, my first car was a 1955 Ford Fairlane, light blue in color. I only had it for a year. When I enlisted in the Army in 1961, I gave it to my mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back