Your 1st car..model, make year (4 Viewers)

I don't like four wheeling. Its stressful as I do not like to get stuck and it requires a certain amount of skill. The less talented create holes in the road and make its harder for stock trucks like mine, which reminds me to get an entrenching tool.

Go for Broke, being a Hawaii lad and subject to stress when getting stuck you might appreciate this story:

In December 1965 while serving in the Navy in a Fighter Squadron on the Ranger, we stopped in Oahu, Hawaii for Christmas. On the last day 4 of us rented a 2 wheel drive PINK SURREY FRINGED TOURIST JEEP. It was cool to have wheels and take in a majestic landscape as we headed out to Diamond Head and nearby sights. Then knowing that the surfing championships were going on at Makaha we went out that way, stayed for a while and continued on in that direction. What we didn't know is that at that time(may be different now) the paved hwy stops and turns into a dirt road. As we continued on this dirt road of which was going upward and narrowing, it also started to rain as happens in tropical places and it was getting dark. There were many potholes that were filling with water and every time we went into one and the tailpipe went under water, the engine would stall out.{eek3} We had to keep getting out soaking wet to push it to get started again. All along we kept convincing ourselves that it must turn into a paved hwy again someplace. What was completely disturbing was we found ourselves on this narrow dirt road with a cliff on our left down to the ocean, and a mountain straight up on our right with no way to turn around.{sm2} When we finally came out on the other side onto a paved roadway we were never so glad in our lives.{sm3} We and the jeep were filthy, but luckily found a self car wash that we cleaned ourselves as well as the car. When we finally got back to the rental place it was closed so all we could do is leave jeep. But because we were leaving for Japan early the next morning we ended up forfeiting our deposit. So 4 goofy tourist sailors had quite an experience.:redface2: But no harm, no foul.............{sm4}^&grin:D

Joe

My back bumper arrived!^&cool^&cool I can't wait to get it put on!!{sm4}

Dan and Morgan are available Friday, so the rear bumper with D-rings, light bar, and "Willy's" "4 Wheel Drive" and American Flag decals should all go on Friday!^&cool^&cool

Dan and Morgan are available Friday, so the rear bumper with D-rings, light bar, and "Willy's" "4 Wheel Drive" and American Flag decals should all go on Friday!^&cool^&cool

Second round of upgrades installed: light bar, rear bumper with D-rings and new rims and tires - looks like a new Jeep!^&cool

Attachments

• Black Beauty 2nd Round of Upgrades 1.jpg
    Black Beauty 2nd Round of Upgrades 1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Black Beauty 2nd Round of Upgrades 2.jpg
    Black Beauty 2nd Round of Upgrades 2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Black Beauty 2nd Round of Upgrades 3.jpg
    Black Beauty 2nd Round of Upgrades 3.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 114
Next I'm going to have blacked-out front lights, LED tail lights, a cool muffler with twin exhausts, and a 2 inch lift kit installed . . . ^&grin

Last edited:
I have to say, it's one great lookin' beast Louis, and can't wait to see it in March.........................Joe

I have to say, it's one great lookin' beast Louis, and can't wait to see it in March.........................Joe

Joe,

You won’t just see it. When we go to the American Armor and AirPower Museums and Rich’s Collection I will be chauffeuring you gentlemen around in it.😎

I just ordered some black aluminum diamond plate covers for the cowling (the area behind the hood where the wind shield wipers are located. The Jeep is really starting to pop!!😎😎😎😎

Bright and early tomorrow Dan, Morgan and I will be installing some goodies on my Jeep . . . 😎

Third group of modifications are on the Jeep . . . 2 inch lift kit, high-performance Cooper duel exhaust muffler, and grill inserts:

Attachments

• Black Beauty 3rd Round of Upgrades 2.jpg
    Black Beauty 3rd Round of Upgrades 2.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Black Beauty 3rd Round of Upgrades 3.jpg
    Black Beauty 3rd Round of Upgrades 3.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Black Beauty 3rd Round of Upgrades 4.jpg
    Black Beauty 3rd Round of Upgrades 4.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Black Beauty 3rd Round of Upgrades 1.jpg
    Black Beauty 3rd Round of Upgrades 1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 69
Looking good Louis; when the zombie apocalypse hits, you'll have no problem running down to the local supermarket to fight your way through the horde for milk......................

Looking good Louis; when the zombie apocalypse hits, you'll have no problem running down to the local supermarket to fight your way through the horde for milk......................

Just wait until stage 4, when I mount the Ma Deuce . . . 😆☠️

My first "car" - which I learned to drive on - and Passed my driving test as one of the three vehicles I had to take the test with ( the other being a 3 ton Bedford Truck and a motor-cycle), was this one:

PIC_4677.JPGPIC_4679.JPG

It was the British Army's answer to the Jeep - and was called "The Austin Champ". Lovely vehicle to drive, especially off-road - and I often tell people that I learned to drive and passed my test - in a Rolls Royce, because that was the engine under the bonnet (Hood).

You could even drive it underwater - as it had a snorkel fitted ( see lowered on right front wing - in this Dinky Model, which I repaired, stripped, re-painted - and re-shod with new tyres at 5 pence a pop, from the Dinkyclub ). 1/43 scale.

The one I drove was a tad larger, and was made during the 1950's - and I passed my driving test in her, and the other two vehicles in 1961. I was in The Royal Signals back then - and often used it on "The Signals Despatch Service" to deliver sealed messages - as the old "Motor-Cycle Despatch Rider Service was being phased out. Good job too - as if you dropped the old BSA side-valve bike - you had to get help to pick the darned thing up again - they were so heavy!

The Champ was in it's turn replaced with the familiar Land Rover - as used in various forms since then.

jb

Last edited:
My first "car" - which I learned to drive on - and Passed my driving test as one of the three vehicles I had to take the test with ( the other being a 3 ton Bedford Truck and a motor-cycle), was this one:

View attachment 227688View attachment 227689

It was the British Army's answer to the Jeep - and was called "The Austin Champ". Lovely vehicle to drive, especially off-road - and I often tell people that I learned to drive and passed my test - in a Rolls Royce, because that was the engine under the bonnet (Hood).

You could even drive it underwater - as it had a snorkel fitted ( see lowered on right front wing - in this Dinky Model, which I repaired, stripped, re-painted - and re-shod with new tyres at 5 pence a pop, from the Dinkyclub ). 1/43 scale.

The one I drove was a tad larger, and was made during the 1950's - and I passed my driving test in her, and the other two vehicles in 1961. I was in The Royal Signals back then - and often used it on "The Signals Despatch Service" to deliver sealed messages - as the old "Motor-Cycle Despatch Rider Service was being phased out. Good job too - as if you dropped the old BSA side-valve bike - you had to get help to pick the darned thing up again - they were so heavy!

The Champ was in it's turn replaced with the familiar Land Rover - as used in various forms since then.

jb

That is a sharp little vehicle!^&cool^&cool My real dream vehicle would be a 1941 Willy's Jeep in the original U.S. Military Markings . . . but I would settle for a Vietnam Era Jeep Kaiser Pick-up truck in the original military markings, which would be much more affordable! I wonder what your Austin Champ would go for if one could be found?:wink2:

That is a sharp little vehicle!^&cool^&cool My real dream vehicle would be a 1941 Willy's Jeep in the original U.S. Military

Markings . . . but I would settle for a Vietnam Era Jeep Kaiser Pick-up truck in the original military markings, which would be much more affordable! I wonder what your Austin Champ would go for if one could be found?:wink2:

I was fortunate enough to be offered a drive of a Willey's jeep - during the 60's in Germany, where I was serving with a combined operations exercise - with some very nice Americans - one of whom, owned one, as his personal run-around. He let me take it for a belt down a runway and back. Very nice too - but not quite so nice a drive as our Rollers!!

As with Toy Soldiers Louis, condition means everything. You can buy a "scrap only" Champ for £1k - or a fully restored runner for somewhere North of £20K.

I just took a peek at a website, where the lowest priced "Barn Find" wanted just £5K - and a restored runner was £20k. Here's one for £12K. This is how we drove them in winter - with the hood on - but doors off! Brrrrrr!{sm4}

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-C...498776?hash=item2f0f8f1758:g:OCgAAOSwovNaGSyl

I was fortunate enough to be offered a drive of a Willey's jeep - during the 60's in Germany, where I was serving with a combined operations exercise - with some very nice Americans - one of whom, owned one, as his personal run-around. He let me take it for a belt down a runway and back. Very nice too - but not quite so nice a drive as our Rollers!!

As with Toy Soldiers Louis, condition means everything. You can buy a "scrap only" Champ for £1k - or a fully restored runner for somewhere North of £20K.

I just took a peek at a website, where the lowest priced "Barn Find" wanted just £5K - and a restored runner was £20k. Here's one for £12K. This is how we drove them in winter - with the hood on - but doors off! Brrrrrr!{sm4}

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-C...498776?hash=item2f0f8f1758:g:OCgAAOSwovNaGSyl

That is sharp! If I lived in the UK, I might have to think about getting one. Willy's Jeeps are way beyond my means, but there are dozens of the Vietnam Era Jeep Kaisers available for under $6,000. A buddy of mine wants me to buy one so he, our friend Dan and myself can restore it together, but I think my wife would draw the line in the sand if I drove home a beat up old military truck . . . {sm2}

We have a TV programme over here Louis, - with the host Henry Cole and his sidekick Sam Lovegrove as the hosts.

They search around the UK for lost treasures in peoples sheds and barns - looking to buy old stuff to do up - and sell on. Mostly lighthearted stuff.

They found an old civilian jeep in a barn - and decided to do it up as a lookalike American Wartime jeep. They bought it for £5K - and spent another £3k doing it up as a lookalike.

So...............£8k could get you ( and your chum), something that looks VERY like the real thing.

Have a look at the short clip - which shows you what it looks like. jb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KowqKJGOCgw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back