2019 Baseball season (6 Viewers)

When the Giants' recent World Series run ended I thought I would just ride the wave of those championships forever.

I have started to realize that winning it all only made me hungrier for more. I actually craved the titles less when the Giants had not won it yet.

Winning is great, mainly in the moment, you soak it all in, ready stories, watch videos, go to championship rallies, buy the gear, you bask in it.

Then it's just a memory, a new season starts and you're back to square one.

Again, it's great to win, but like a great meal, a good movie, reading a good book, or......…….or...………...hmmm...………….well anyway, again, it's great in the moment, then it fades.

The Giants got swept by the Yankees this weekend. They are now in last place, 7 games out. It might as well be 70 games out at this point.

the predominantly Hispanic comprised team of players on the Astros...
excluding the pitchers and Bregman/Reddick (non Hispanic)...
really seemed to like traveling to Monterrey, Mexico for their 2 game sweep of the LA Angels......
7 home runs...one of them a grand slam...
they racked up 24 runs in those 2 games...

I wish they played all their games there...^&grin

instead of that 40 degree 4 game series before that in Minnesota...

A stat for the current game of baseball: Joey Gallo has become the first player in MLB history to reach the 100 Hr mark before reaching the 100 singles mark.{eek3} -- Al

Miami has a first place team and is averaging just over 13,300 fans per game, better than only the other Florida team, the Marlins, who are under 10,000 a game. Pitiful. -- Al

O's lost a tough 2-1 game to the Red Sox tonight in 12 innings. The remarkable thing is, out of 36 total outs, the O's struck out 22 times. 22 completely wasted outs, thus their 13-24 record. :rolleyes2: -- Al

Many thanks to the SF Giants, who DFA'ed Gerrado Parra, allowing the injury riddled Nats to sign him. Parra's first base hit for the Nats quite possibly will save their season. Trailing the Dodgers 2-0 in the 8th, Mad Max having pitched well but once again on the short end of the score, and the Nats facing the reality of going 9 games under .500, Parra got to the plate with the bases loaded. With 2 out and the count at 3-2, Parra crushed the pitch into the right field bleachers, giving the Nats a 5-2 lead and a possible springboard from which to start their season anew. Talk is that if the Nats had lost the last 2 games in LA and come home 10 games under .500, that Dave Martinez could have been fired by Monday. Parra's game winning GS qualifies as a big moment in the Nats disappointing season but only time will tell if the moment will be a turning point. If the Nats revert to form, continue losing series and playing like crap, Martinez is history (and not too far down the road), but I prefer to believe the Nats will seize the moment and start playing the games they are capable off. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for another dozen or so games.:wink2: -- Al

The above post could be adapted to the Mets. Callaway is on thin ice and probably on thiner ice than Martinez because Brodie didn't hire Callaway and has no attachment to him. It's not all Mickey's fault but if he wants to save his job, he won't play Frazier, who is shot. Again, another person Brodie has no attachment to, except as a former client.

On the recent disastrous road trip, when they played the Brewers, it was clear that at the present time the Brewers are better than the Mets.

Curious . . . I was at my neice's in the LA area and saw much of the Dodgers - Nats game on TV Friday mainly because I wanted to get the Bosox score. Never got it as the announcers NEVER gave the scores for other games and the camera NEVER showed the scoreboard in the stadium. Seemed awfully parochial! Is this true in other cities or is this simply LA? Pretty sad, IMHO.

Bosun Al

Al...

on Direct TV...
they have a full scoreboard button of all the daily sports on the remote...

if you don't have Direct...
watch for a glimpse of the outfield scoreboard...

if that doesn't work...
you can always flip to ESPN to see their scoreboard ticker on the bottom...

I know that's cheesy and doesn't explain why those announcers don't do updates on other games...
but...:rolleyes2:

actually now that I think about it...
the announcers on the Astro's channel rarely give updates on MLB games in progress...

Both the Astros and Giants broadcasts (radio and TV) usually announce out of town scores in the 7th inning.

I know it's not gonna last forever...
but right now the Astro's offense is in 6th gear...
everybody in their line up is crushing the ball...
the teams batting average is 288...
in the AL...
they are second place in the league with 82 home runs ...
lead in slugging and OBP and OPS...
Springer leads the league with 16 home runs...
they have 5 guys in the the top 21 with most home runs...
they have 4 guys in the top 21 with most RBI's...
they have the highest run differential of +83...
they are really fun to watch right now...

their starting line up rotation of pitching is a little suspect...
they just put McHugh in the bullpen and brought up Martin...
who won his first start the other day...
JV and Cole are both susceptible to giving up early home runs and leads...
but their batting has been carrying them on W's...

again...
while I know they can't sustain this tempo...
for an Astro's fan...
they are really fun to watch right now...

Springer had an in the park HR last night...
that was cool to watch...

I think the Giants are playing to expectations.

Their season can be summed up by the impending Bumgarner trade, Posey no longer being the player he once was and the lack of any young talent.

Haven't really been able to get into the season as I have in the past. Just as well, considering how the Nats and O's are playing.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Haven't really been able to get into the season as I have in the past. Just as well, considering how the Nats and O's are playing.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Ditto; so far this year, I watched the ring ceremony prior to the home opener...……...and that's about it.

Totally disinterested in baseball this year, the Bruins have grabbed my attention as have the Patriots, their draft and the free agents they've signed.

Just not into baseball this year...……………..

Ditto; so far this year, I watched the ring ceremony prior to the home opener...……...and that's about it.

Totally disinterested in baseball this year, the Bruins have grabbed my attention as have the Patriots, their draft and the free agents they've signed.

Just not into baseball this year...……………..

Attendance continues to plummet this year. Whenever I chance across a baseball game on TV, I'm astounded at the number of empty seats. In some places maybe 70% empty. I expect to see tumbleweeds blowing through the stands. How teams can afford a $300-400 million contract with one player is beyond me when no one is showing up for the games.

I always look forward to the season and so, yes, I’ve been watching the games as before.

Attendance is down and it seems to be bit of a problem but the weather has been awful — in this area it never seems to stop raining — and I’m sure that has contributed to the issue.

We’ve debated this before so I’m not sure we need to trot out this old sawhorse again.

I have really gotten into base ball the last couple of years...
I'm picking up some slack...
going to a few or watching them all...
looking forward to every one...
really enjoying it...

Didn't mean to imply that I'm not watching the games, I am. Just not with the enthusiasm of past years. My health has been an issue that has diverted my attention, but the main reason is the O's rebuilding, thus no expectations of winning, and the complete collapse of the Nats, who were supposed to be contenders. Nats are 10 games under .500 for the first time since 2011. Nats owners should be reaching for the panic button at this point. Martinez seems clueless and needs to go, but other reasons are underperformance by the #4 and 5 SP's, the absolutely awful bullpen, some sloppy fielding and baserunning, (all holdover problems from last season), and the inevitable injuries that have made playing inferior players necessary. With 30% of the season gone, it is no longer early and the margin to turn this season around is down to a very thin line. I think another 15-20 games of this under .500 crap and this season is toast, if it already isn't. -- Al

Didn't mean to imply that I'm not watching the games, I am. Just not with the enthusiasm of past years. My health has been an issue that has diverted my attention, but the main reason is the O's rebuilding, thus no expectations of winning, and the complete collapse of the Nats, who were supposed to be contenders. Nats are 10 games under .500 for the first time since 2011. Nats owners should be reaching for the panic button at this point. Martinez seems clueless and needs to go, but other reasons are underperformance by the #4 and 5 SP's, the absolutely awful bullpen, some sloppy fielding and baserunning, (all holdover problems from last season), and the inevitable injuries that have made playing inferior players necessary. With 30% of the season gone, it is no longer early and the margin to turn this season around is down to a very thin line. I think another 15-20 games of this under .500 crap and this season is toast, if it already isn't. -- Al

Sorry to hear about your health issues Al; above and beyond sports, naturally that is much more important, hope it's nothing serious and you're feeling better soon...………….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back