2019 Baseball season (6 Viewers)

George, Jason, Mike, many thanks. It's been a rough spring but I'm on the mend and feeling better. Now, if only the Nats and O's weren't so depressing...:wink2: -- Al

Glad to hear you’re feeling better although your teams aren’t. Notwithstanding how the Nats are playing, it’s a very competitive division so things could turn around.

Glad to hear you’re feeling better although your teams aren’t. Notwithstanding how the Nats are playing, it’s a very competitive division so things could turn around.
Thanks, Brad. Last night's game indicates to me that the only thing the Nats are turning around are their fan's stomachs. :rolleyes2: -- Al

It is aggravating. It’s surprising they’re in this position.

I wish the Giants would stop with the "re-load" and just admit that they need a complete rebuild.

It seems to be working for the Astros.

It is aggravating. It’s surprising they’re in this position.
And the beat goes on as once again the Nats choke an 8th inning lead. I've had it for a while. When the Nats can Martinez and fire the bullpen, I might check in to see the results but enough is enough of the same old thing. At least the O's had no expectations (or delusions, as it were) of being a contender. The Lerner family must be banging their heads against a wall. -- Al

A tough one for sure. The idiot who masquerades as the Mets manager just about gift wrapped it for the Nats. The one thing about baseball is that fortunes can change quickly so don’t give up hope. Just four days ago, the Mets had lost five in a row and things looked grim but now things are looking up slightly. Just takes a small winning streak to turn things around.

A tough one for sure. The idiot who masquerades as the Mets manager just about gift wrapped it for the Nats. The one thing about baseball is that fortunes can change quickly so don’t give up hope. Just four days ago, the Mets had lost five in a row and things looked grim but now things are looking up slightly. Just takes a small winning streak to turn things around.
True enough, except for this year's Nats, it would seem. They have not won more than 2 games in a row all year, and that only 4 times. There is no consistency, unless we're talking how bad the bullpen has been, so my hopes for this team are really low at this point. Won't give up yet, but they need to do something or it's all over but the crying. Boy, this season has been a huge disappointment, and I won't be surprised to see a managerial 'adjustment' in the near future. -- Al

True enough, except for this year's Nats, it would seem. They have not won more than 2 games in a row all year, and that only 4 times. There is no consistency, unless we're talking how bad the bullpen has been, so my hopes for this team are really low at this point. Won't give up yet, but they need to do something or it's all over but the crying. Boy, this season has been a huge disappointment, and I won't be surprised to see a managerial 'adjustment' in the near future. -- Al

Al:

It seems like the Nat's front office never had a problem parting ways with managers with winning records and playoff appearances but now they won't do it with one who is losing and did not make the playoffs?

-Jason

Al:

It seems like the Nat's front office never had a problem parting ways with managers with winning records and playoff appearances but now they won't do it with one who is losing and did not make the playoffs?

-Jason
Jason, it's a puzzle. The clamor for Martinez's head grows by the day and GM Rizzo sort of gave him the 'kiss of death' today in a news conference saying that they had no intention of changing managers with only a third of the season gone. The Nats are playing so miserably, with no spark or enthusiasm, and have been in these doldrums since Opening Day, I have no idea why Martinez is still employed, other than the obvious answer that it will make Rizzo look worse than he already does. The bottom line is, Martinez has continued to bungle his job and seems to learn nothing, repeating the same mistakes and taking a contender of a team to a 101-111 record over his tenure as manager. Time for him to go. I hear Joe Girardi or Buck Showalter might be available...I don't think Dusty Baker would come back.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Fun with numbers: After having no decisions in the O's first 46 games this season, relief pitcher Michael Givens has taken the loss in 3 of the last 5 games for the O's. Just for the record, the O's are 2-14 over their last 16 games and are now 15-36 on the season, a pace that would equal or surpass last season's disaster. :rolleyes2:
Just as a matter of interest, former long-time Oriole Adam Jones, who signed a team friendly 1 year contract with the Diamondbacks (bargain of the year for them), is batting .279 with 10 Hr's and 31 RBI's. O's could sure use those stats right about now. Adam should have retired an Oriole.:mad: -- Al

Last edited:
Jason, it's a puzzle. The clamor for Martinez's head grows by the day and GM Rizzo sort of gave him the 'kiss of death' today in a news conference saying that they had no intention of changing managers with only a third of the season gone. The Nats are playing so miserably, with no spark or enthusiasm, and have been in these doldrums since Opening Day, I have no idea why Martinez is still employed, other than the obvious answer that it will make Rizzo look worse than he already does. The bottom line is, Martinez has continued to bungle his job and seems to learn nothing, repeating the same mistakes and taking a contender of a team to a 101-111 record over his tenure as manager. Time for him to go. I hear Joe Girardi or Buck Showalter might be available...I don't think Dusty Baker would come back.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Managers like Girardi and Buck no longer seem to be in vogue. GMs want young managers who can "relate" to the players like Aaron Boone of the Yankees, plus managers that won't be too independent. Managers don't even make out the lineup card anymore; they're told whom to play. That's not Girardi. The Yankees said that even if they had won the World Series in 2017, they were going to make a change.

Managers like Girardi and Buck no longer seem to be in vogue. GMs want young managers who can "relate" to the players like Aaron Boone of the Yankees, plus managers that won't be too independent. Managers don't even make out the lineup card anymore; they're told whom to play. That's not Girardi. The Yankees said that even if they had won the World Series in 2017, they were going to make a change.
Understood. It's all about what the analytics say these days. Girardi and Showalter are dinosaurs in today's game but they are the kind of dinosaurs I wouldn't mind seeing as a manager. The Nats last 2 trendy choices, Williams and Martinez, haven't worked out at all. Maybe a T-Rex isn't a bad idea.:wink2: -- Al

Astros are poised to go into a bad tail spin...
with Altuve still out on IR...
Springer finally came back from his IR last night only to go out in the 8th inning with a stage 2 hamstring pull...
a stage 2 hamstring pull calls for a minimum of 4-8 weeks rest to recover...
they are gonna really miss his bat...
every game is gonna be a struggle for a long while...

it's gotten even worse this week...
not even the same team I was watching 2-3 weeks ago..

they have called up 3 new guys to make a line up...

Jose Altuve still out (18 days now) and his condition has worsened after being re-evaluated...
George Springer returned for 1 game...now again on IR...
Carlos Correa is now out with sore ribs...
Aledmys Díaz...the second baseman brought in to replace Altuve is now on IR...

they really have some kind of make shift line up out there tonight...

it's gotten even worse this week...
not even the same team I was watching 2-3 weeks ago..

they have called up 3 new guys to make a line up...

Jose Altuve still out (18 days now) and his condition has worsened after being re-evaluated...
George Springer returned for 1 game...now again on IR...
Carlos Correa is now out with sore ribs...
Aledmys Díaz...the second baseman brought in to replace Altuve is now on IR...

they really have some kind of make shift line up out there tonight...

And yet they still won! ^&grin

Jason...there are so many new guys out there now (3-4)...it doesn't even resemble the Astros...but just like any sport...make the playoffs healthy and you can do things...

this is unreal...
now Stassi and McHugh have been put on the IR...

this is not the same team with all of these new players they are bringing in...

Correa claims he got his fractured rib from a body massage he received at is home...
Whaaaaaaaaaat????
how does that happen?

should of gotten that crew from Jupiter, Florida to massage him...
they wouldn't have broken his rib...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back