2019 Baseball season (1 Viewer)

The Mets are not that far behind. Last Wednesday, they had a three lead going into the ninth inning against LA; they lost the game. Thank goodness, I didn't stay up to see the end; it ended at 150am. On Saturday, they had a four lead against the Dbacks going into the bottom of the 8th. They let them score all four runs and lost in extra innings. They turned what could have been a successful 4-3 road trip into a disastrous 2-5 trip. There is not one plus out of that pen. The GM, who should have stayed as an agent -- none of his signings have panned out -- signed Familia to a three year deal and he's been terrible (6.50 ERA as an 8th inning setup man).
I feel your pain. The Nats pen is not GM Rizzo's finest job, either. It's Doolittle in the 9th, but no bridge to get there. A terrible situation. -- Al

I wonder how the position players or the starting pitchers feel when they see the pen blow another one. It's expected or logical that during the course of the season this will occasionally happen. However, this has happened three times in a week. Forgot to mention yesterday; Mets and Giants headed to extra innings tied, both Bumgarner and Syndergaard had pitched reasonably well. Mets gave up 6 runs in the 10th. Some questionable defense didn't help.

I should have been born a Yankee fan {eek3}

Ever since the series in NY when the Mets swept the Nats 4 straight, the Nats seem to have woken up. At least they have started to win some games, at long last. They have gone 9-2 since the NY disaster but it is indicative of just how far down they were that even going 9-2, they are still 5 games below .500. The Nats dug a huge hole to crawl out of but they are trying, despite a bullpen that tried, once again, to throw the game away. Nats led 4-1 after 7 when the pen imploded, blew the lead and the Nats had to rely on a walk-off Hr to win 6-4. I think the Nats need to DFA a couple of the bullpen pitchers just to set an example for the others. It is hard to believe that these same guys continue to be so predictably bad game after game and still have a job. :mad: -- Al

Ever since the series in NY when the Mets swept the Nats 4 straight, the Nats seem to have woken up. At least they have started to win some games, at long last. They have gone 9-2 since the NY disaster but it is indicative of just how far down they were that even going 9-2, they are still 5 games below .500. The Nats dug a huge hole to crawl out of but they are trying, despite a bullpen that tried, once again, to throw the game away. Nats led 4-1 after 7 when the pen imploded, blew the lead and the Nats had to rely on a walk-off Hr to win 6-4. I think the Nats need to DFA a couple of the bullpen pitchers just to set an example for the others. It is hard to believe that these same guys continue to be so predictably bad game after game and still have a job. :mad: -- Al

Conversely, the Mets seemed to have gone downhill from there. After the Nats left they faced the Tigers and that was a struggle, even though they won the series 2-1. Although they went 6-1 on the home stand, it just didn't feel like a successful home stand.

I wonder how the position players or the starting pitchers feel when they see the pen blow another one. It's expected or logical that during the course of the season this will occasionally happen. However, this has happened three times in a week. Forgot to mention yesterday; Mets and Giants headed to extra innings tied, both Bumgarner and Syndergaard had pitched reasonably well. Mets gave up 6 runs in the 10th. Some questionable defense didn't help.

I should have been born a Yankee fan {eek3}

Excellent post. Whenever there are blown saves/games the starters are often forgotten. With no win or lose for them the no decision almost makes it feel like the start didn't happen.

I don't think the emphasis of the win/loss stat is very important in ranking a pitcher...
of course it looks and feels better to be 10-0...instead of 5-5...

baseball is such a game of recorded stats...
you can find a lot of more relevant stats to grade a pitcher's performance by...
era...walks...hits allowed...
I think the era and whip are the best definers of a performance...
regardless of his win/loss record...
with that being said...

a blown save is a loss...
each game is a team effort...
and that's a team loss...

and if you let your team down...
they know that you didn't do it on purpose and gave your best effort...
but I'm sure the thought goes through the teammates heads that the relief pitcher blew it...
just as it goes through the relief pitchers head that he knows he blew it...

I'm sure it's the unspoken code that teammates don't say anything...
but yea...they can sure feel it without saying anything...

I'm not trying to be an arm chair manager...
but I feel like the managers make a lot of mistakes in managing the mound...

who they put in to get the save...
how long they keep them in...
why did they pull the starter in the first place...
back to stats as a guide...
right or wrong...
that's what they make most decisions on...

I think the relief pitcher is the most stressful position on the team...
we got the deal...the deal is almost done...
now you're put in to close the deal...
lot of pressure that you don't blow a lead late in the game...

teammates to some degree probably...and more so fans...
blame the entire loss on them when they blow a save...
by the same token...
they get the a lot of the lion's share of the credit when they're successful...

I think relief pitcher is the most stressful job in baseball...

I don't think the emphasis of the win/loss stat is very important in ranking a pitcher...
of course it looks and feels better to be 10-0...instead of 5-5...

baseball is such a game of recorded stats...
you can find a lot of more relevant stats to grade a pitcher's performance by...
era...walks...hits allowed...
I think the era and whip are the best definers of a performance...
regardless of his win/loss record...
with that being said...

a blown save is a loss...
each game is a team effort...
and that's a team loss...

and if you let your team down...
they know that you didn't do it on purpose and gave your best effort...
but I'm sure the thought goes through the teammates heads that the relief pitcher blew it...
just as it goes through the relief pitchers head that he knows he blew it...

I'm sure it's the unspoken code that teammates don't say anything...
but yea...they can sure feel it without saying anything...

I'm not trying to be an arm chair manager...
but I feel like the managers make a lot of mistakes in managing the mound...

who they put in to get the save...
how long they keep them in...
why did they pull the starter in the first place...
back to stats as a guide...
right or wrong...
that's what they make most decisions on...

I think the relief pitcher is the most stressful position on the team...
we got the deal...the deal is almost done...
now you're put in to close the deal...
lot of pressure that you don't blow a lead late in the game...

teammates to some degree probably...and more so fans...
blame the entire loss on them when they blow a save...
by the same token...
they get the a lot of the lion's share of the credit when they're successful...

I think relief pitcher is the most stressful job in baseball...
All I have to say about relief pitching is this... Babe Ruth is dead, throw strikes. {eek3} -- Al

okay Al...
you had a good day...^&grin

Nats make history with four straight HRs in 8th...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26937050/nats-make-history-four-straight-hrs-8th
Mike, it was rather interesting. Prior to that uprising, I figured this would be another typical Nats game...anemic offense with the bullpen blowing another game. This is the second time the Nats have done this, the other time was in 2017. They are the only team to do it twice of the nine times it has been done in MLB history. A telling stat is that the 4 consecutive Hr's being hit was accomplished 3 times in the 1960's and has been done 6 times since 2000.:rolleyes2: -- Al

This may seem strange coming from me but I am a little bit fed up with Bumgarner's antics.

He argued with the home plate umpire about strike calls, even though the replays clearly showed that he was missing the plate. Then, after Max Muncy homered off of him he yelled at him telling him to run rather than watch his HR. Muncy did turn after hitting the ball out of the park (literally) but there was no bat flip or long drawn out watch party. He hit it, looked at it for 1 second and then began to run, as a baseball and Giants fan I saw nothing wrong with what he did.

It is time to move on, I hope the Giants trade Madbum soon.

Been a rough 2019 season for my teams. The O's have been horrible, as expected, but have actually improved very slightly on last year's record. O's are 2 games ahead of last season's win pace. They were 19-49 after 68 games in 2018 and they are now 21-47 in 2019. Every little bit helps. Now on to the real disaster, the Nats. After 68 games in 2018, the Nats were 38-30. They have regressed, big time, this season and are currently 31-37, in 4th place, showing little sign of pulling out of their troubles. Just no consistency. It's just one of those year's for my teams.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Been a rough 2019 season for my teams. The O's have been horrible, as expected, but have actually improved very slightly on last year's record. O's are 2 games ahead of last season's win pace. They were 19-49 after 68 games in 2018 and they are now 21-47 in 2019. Every little bit helps. Now on to the real disaster, the Nats. After 68 games in 2018, the Nats were 38-30. They have regressed, big time, this season and are currently 31-37, in 4th place, showing little sign of pulling out of their troubles. Just no consistency. It's just one of those year's for my teams.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Al-

I am right there with you. The Giants are just plain terrible. Worse than losing they are simply not exciting as they do not have a superstar to speak of. To top it all of there is no young talent on the horizon.

And yet I keep watching them............

-Jason

Fun with numbers: On the way to their 21-48 record, the O's pitching staff, in addition to compiling a 5.72 staff ERA, has allowed 138 Hr's in their 69 games. That is a LOT of dingers.{eek3} -- Al

The gashouse gorillas got Encarnacion from the Mariners for a bag of chew, six bats and a case of balls.

Great, just what the gashouse gorillas need, someone else to hit 900 home runs at Williamsport East.

Can't wait to see this toolbag circle the bases with that one flap up in pinstripes...……...like I don't hate the guy enough already.

Go get Scherzer and Madbum while you're at it.

Hal channeling his inner George, I guess 10 years without a whiff of a WS title is enough.

The Yankees didn’t give up much so obviously the Mariners wanted to get rid of him following their descent in the standings and the Bruce trade to the Phillies.

However, the question is why make the trade. It sends Urshela to the bench, Frazier to the minors and Judge and Stanton will be re-joining the team soon. It doesn’t make a lot of sense other than the Yankees wanting to bludgeon the opposition in the regular season. I guess the answer is because they can.

The Yankees didn’t give up much so obviously the Mariners wanted to get rid of him following their descent in the standings and the Bruce trade to the Phillies.

However, the question is why make the trade. It sends Urshela to the bench, Frazier to the minors and Judge and Stanton will be re-joining the team soon. It doesn’t make a lot of sense other than the Yankees wanting to bludgeon the opposition in the regular season. I guess the answer is because they can.

I read online the Mariners are in fire sale mode; essentially anyone who's making decent money is going to get traded.

Baseball really is about the haves and have nots; you've essentially got 1 or 2 elite teams in each league, several wannabe's and everyone else is a dumpster fire.

Must be nice to be a fan of a dumpster fire team that continually looks to dump payroll and stick their hand out to get revenue as part of the sharing concept in MLB.

I'm not well versed on the subject, but in addition to a salary cap (and it needs to be a hard cap, none of this paying a luxury tax if you go over), that number should be a hard number for every team and they are required to spend to that number.

Again, for all I know, such a thing exists, but you'd never know it the way teams constantly make craptastic trades like this one, the sole purpose of which is to dump salary...………………….what a joke.

And yeah, I look forward to the gashouse gorillas blitzkrieging MLB from here on out like a beer league softball team full of ringers,, bludgeoning teams 17-3 night after night...………………...

I read online the Mariners are in fire sale mode; essentially anyone who's making decent money is going to get traded.

Baseball really is about the haves and have nots; you've essentially got 1 or 2 elite teams in each league, several wannabe's and everyone else is a dumpster fire.

Must be nice to be a fan of a dumpster fire team that continually looks to dump payroll and stick their hand out to get revenue as part of the sharing concept in MLB.

I'm not well versed on the subject, but in addition to a salary cap (and it needs to be a hard cap, none of this paying a luxury tax if you go over), that number should be a hard number for every team and they are required to spend to that number.

Again, for all I know, such a thing exists, but you'd never know it the way teams constantly make craptastic trades like this one, the sole purpose of which is to dump salary...………………….what a joke.

And yeah, I look forward to the gashouse gorillas blitzkrieging MLB from here on out like a beer league softball team full of ringers,, bludgeoning teams 17-3 night after night...………………...

For good or ill, MLB favors the big market teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. Those teams have enormous fan bases and generate most of the ticket, merchandise, and TV revenue. Everyone else is the Washington Generals to the Harlem Globetrotters. Someone for them to play. I honestly don't know how 90% of the other teams meet even their more limited payrolls with all the empty seats. I don't watch much baseball but sometimes pause when I come across a game to marvel at how many empty seats there are. It's like something out of a post-apocalypse movie. The TV money is the only thing keeping the league afloat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back