2019 Baseball season (9 Viewers)

The Mariners are a mess. Their GM, since he’s been there, has made trade after trade, but the team seems to have gotten worse, with little to show for it. Now, he’s going crazy again, making this move, now another mood. I believe their farm system is one of the worst.

For good or ill, MLB favors the big market teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox. Those teams have enormous fan bases and generate most of the ticket, merchandise, and TV revenue. Everyone else is the Washington Generals to the Harlem Globetrotters. Someone for them to play. I honestly don't know how 90% of the other teams meet even their more limited payrolls with all the empty seats. I don't watch much baseball but sometimes pause when I come across a game to marvel at how many empty seats there are. It's like something out of a post-apocalypse movie. The TV money is the only thing keeping the league afloat.

To further your point, against my better judgement/out of sheer boredom I watched bits and pieces of the Red Sox/LET'S GO O'S!! game yesterday. First off, it was painful to watch, even one of the color commentators at one point said "This game is like a root canal"...…….the endless mound visits, pitching changes, commercials between half innings, batters in and out of the box fidgeting with their helmets, batting gloves, spitting, good Christ was it a long, drawn out exercise.

The stands were 3/4'ths empty, mostly Red Sox fans to be honest in Baltimore...……...and speaking of Baltimore; my God, what fire sale they've had. I literally recognized two names in their line up, Crash Davis and his robust .150 average and that pain in the nutbag Mancini, he hits a home run every time up it seems...…...other than that, a who's who of nobodies, that team has won exactly 9 home games so far this year.

They were loaded at one point, got to the ALCS vs the Royals and that was that.

I think their payroll is about $17.35...……….wow.

But naturally someone will chime in with how the league is awash in cash, all the owners are lining their pockets and the game itself is thriving.

These eyes tell a different story.

I'll follow the RS until mid July, then when NFL camps open, I'm out.

The one that gets me is when the attendance is announced and it is clear that there are no where near that many people at the game.

The one that gets me is when the attendance is announced and it is clear that there are no where near that many people at the game.

Attendance is based on tickets sold, not people actually at the game.

I can't believe the Dodgers lost Saturday night and can't believe they won yesterday. The common theme is our "closer"; Kenley Jansen.

He's far too exciting and I do not mean in a good way.

I love the guy but this is why it's too risky giving a large and lengthy contracts to closers!

The unfortunate reality is that you can't out hit your opponent to a WS crown without an effective bullpen and especially a dependable closer!

Carlos

The Braves are en fuego for the moment, whooping Philly 2 out of 3 at home, including a 15 to 1 mauling for the rubber game, then following that up the next day and crushing the Mets 12 -3.

To that I say, eaaaassssy fellas, it’s a long season, save some of that firepower for later!! If only it worked like that.

Currently leading the NL East by 3 but we all know how fortunes can and do change. I’ve seen them play twice and they lost both so apparently I’m not a barometer, harbinger or good luck talisman.

Baseball is a miserable affair when your team is miserable. I know this from lots of experience. 😁

Interestingly, the Braves are one of the few teams owned by a company that is publicly traded, Liberty Media (BATRA). Akin to Madison Square Garden without the idiots who control that organization.

So to folks down and out on their squad, why not purchase a few or more BATRA shares and REALLY join the bandwagon??!!

[Please Note: I’m not recommending the stock as an investment.]

Fun with numbers...Not quite at the halfway mark, the 21-55 O's have used 28 different pitchers this season, including 3 different position players (C, 1B, and SS). Even though 28 seems like a high number, and it is, the average number of pitchers used is running at about 22 to 23 per team so far. By comparison, back in pre-historic days, the 1971 Baltimore Orioles, (who had 4 20+ game winners), used a grand total of 13 pitchers the whole season. It's sure a different game.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Fun with numbers...Not quite at the halfway mark, the 21-55 O's have used 28 different pitchers this season, including 3 different position players (C, 1B, and SS). Even though 28 seems like a high number, and it is, the average number of pitchers used is running at about 22 to 23 per team so far. By comparison, back in pre-historic days, the 1971 Baltimore Orioles, (who had 4 20+ game winners), used a grand total of 13 pitchers the whole season. It's sure a different game.:rolleyes2: -- Al

If the LET'S GO O'S! go 85-1 the rest of the way, they have a good shot of taking the division over the gashouse gorillas.

If the LET'S GO O'S! go 85-1 the rest of the way, they have a good shot of taking the division over the gashouse gorillas.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing, only I figured 84-2.:wink2: -- Al

I read that Tampa wants to split their home games between Tampa and Montreal. Their eight fans must really be disappointed. Things must be getting desperate. Now they can play in front of two empty stadiums instead of just one.

Had high hopes for the Phils this year but I was worrying about the pitching not holding up and I was right about that.Also Harper not playing like Harper can,hopefully he will have a second half like last year's.I think this is it for Franco in Philly,same with Herrera.McCutcheon out for season doesn't help. Hoskins,Segura,Realmuto and Kingery playing well,Jay Bruce seems to be a good addition.Bench is weak though.
Mark

Had high hopes for the Phils this year but I was worrying about the pitching not holding up and I was right about that.Also Harper not playing like Harper can,hopefully he will have a second half like last year's.I think this is it for Franco in Philly,same with Herrera.McCutcheon out for season doesn't help. Hoskins,Segura,Realmuto and Kingery playing well,Jay Bruce seems to be a good addition.Bench is weak though.
Mark
The NL East is giving several of the TFer's headaches on a daily basis. My Nats and Brad's Mets are both underperforming compared to pre-season predictions. Rutledge is the only happy fan as his Braves are playing really well and have the lead. I still expect the race to tighten up as the Nats, Phillies, and Mets are all capable of catching the Braves but must start playing better ball to do so. Nats missed a great opportunity to close on the Phillies and Braves last night when their horrible bullpen once again imploded and blew a 4-run lead against the Braves. If I had any hair, I would have torn it out.:wink2::rolleyes2: -- Al

I read that Tampa wants to split their home games between Tampa and Montreal. Their eight fans must really be disappointed. Things must be getting desperate. Now they can play in front of two empty stadiums instead of just one.
Hair-brained scheme from the get-go. I mean, which city gets the play-off home games when Tampa makes their World Series run?^&grin -- Al

What a sad sack franchise.

That stadium they play in is a dump, zero atmosphere...……."If the ball hits off the catwalk and drops down into play and is caught, it's an out"...…………..brilliant idea putting a catwalk up there.

I'll never understand why teams move to areas where former teams tanked support wise.

Tampa is a good team this year and they still can't draw flies.

Vegas has a prop bet. You can take the Dodgers, Yankees and Astros or the field to win the World Series. Right now, it would be hard to take the field.

The Astros are in the midst of their longest losing streak in four years, all of those injuries are catching up to them.

Looks like the gashouse gorillas are going to have a 2019 like the Red Sox did in 2018 and once again it will probably be the Dodgers standing in the way, will the third time be the charm for LA or will the gashouse gorillas win yet another WS title?

Gee, I can't wait to find out............…:rolleyes2:; what a sports year for me...………..Bruins lose the SC, Warriors lose the NBA title and the gashouse gorillas win another WS......…...thank God for the Patriots beating the Rams.

It's probably an effort to prod the city to help fund a stadium, which they need desperately. There is nothing concrete yet; ownership has been given a chance to explore the possibility. Stu Sternberg is one of the most creative and smartest owners in baseball so I'm sure he has a plan in mind.

The NL East is giving several of the TFer's headaches on a daily basis. My Nats and Brad's Mets are both underperforming compared to pre-season predictions. Rutledge is the only happy fan as his Braves are playing really well and have the lead. I still expect the race to tighten up as the Nats, Phillies, and Mets are all capable of catching the Braves but must start playing better ball to do so. Nats missed a great opportunity to close on the Phillies and Braves last night when their horrible bullpen once again imploded and blew a 4-run lead against the Braves. If I had any hair, I would have torn it out.:wink2::rolleyes2: -- Al

Braves bats are hot which is generating excitement in the ATL. Pitching is holding up well enough.
No one stays hot all season. Or at least it’s very rare. Expect the Braves will do what all/most Atlanta teams do, eventually, which is stumble and fall.

Well all you lucky folks in London are in for a treat this weekend; you get to watch the gashouse gorillas bludgeon the Red Sox to death over the weekend.

Let us all know how it turns out, I'm thinking a combined score over the two games of 141-2.

The gashouse gorillas...……………...

I have a couple of English friends who are going and they’re pretty excited.

I wonder what the players think about these international games? I know the Rams cancelled a game in Mexico City last year because the field was all churned up. They are grumbling about the London game this year. The travel, time change, disruption during the season must be pretty significant. Particularly when a team has to fly home and play a more rested team. Kind of a gimmick. I understand why leagues are doing this to attract a broader audience but the time difference alone precludes building much a fan base for US sport leagues in most international locations. Not many people are going to stay up until the wee hours of the night to watch US baseball and football games on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back