2019 Baseball season (2 Viewers)

It's June 27, and the Nats just played their 80th game, and shock of shocks, they have reached .500 for the first time since April 11 when they were 11-11. Half a season to reach the level of .500 when so much was expected may not seem like much of an achievement but on May 23, after losing 4 straight to the Mets, the Nats sat at a season worst 19-31, 12 games below .500 and in complete disarray, so the 21-9 record since that point is quite a turnaround. Another 82 games remain to see if the Nats can keep this turnaround going but the last month has sure been a lot more fun than the first 2 months.:rolleyes2::wink2: -- Al

Al...
watching your team win is a lot more fun that watching them lose...
lot of baseball yet to go...
the Astros are hard to watch lately for me...
going to the game Saturday night...
Verlander is scheduled to start...
good luck...

Al...
good luck...

No matter what the record, there is nothing like going to see your favorite team play in their home ballpark.

Al...
good luck...
Thanks, Mike. This season has been a trial, much like last season's under performing team, this year's team has just been disappointing in so many ways. It's good to see them start playing to their potential, at least for a while. Even the recent surge hasn't halted the boo-birds who keep calling for GM Rizzo's and Manager Martinez's heads. There have been high expectations for the Nats the last 2 years and they just haven't delivered. The second half of the season is going to be interesting in many ways... :wink2: Verlander should put the Astros back on track. He's got a Cy Young year going. Good pitchers are a joy to watch, as opposed to the 4 inning wonders that seem to be the norm these days. -- Al

Thanks, Mike. This season has been a trial, much like last season's under performing team, this year's team has just been disappointing in so many ways. It's good to see them start playing to their potential, at least for a while. Even the recent surge hasn't halted the boo-birds who keep calling for GM Rizzo's and Manager Martinez's heads. There have been high expectations for the Nats the last 2 years and they just haven't delivered. The second half of the season is going to be interesting in many ways... :wink2: Verlander should put the Astros back on track. He's got a Cy Young year going. Good pitchers are a joy to watch, as opposed to the 4 inning wonders that seem to be the norm these days. -- Al

Al...
they are in a major tail spin...:(
2-9 in their last 11 games...
that's pretty bad...
the Rangers are only 4.5 back as of last night...
last two games were a combined 24-2 losses...
those are pretty decisive scores...^&grin
Altuve and Springer both came back this week...
but they have been pretty ineffective...
Verlander has 1 win...1 loss...and 2 no decisions in his last 4 stats...
he is so prone to giving up early home runs...
good thing about him...
is that he doesn't walk too many batters...
so it minimizes the long balls he gives up...

Meanwhile the Giants are a meager 35-47.

All I can hope for now is a great haul of prospects for Madbum.

The gashouse gorillas bludgeoned the Red Sox yesterday 17-13 in an outstanding pitchers duel...………...:rolleyes2:

I hope the folks in the UK don't think that shitshow is a true example of the sport.

I heard they interviewed Gardner after the game; Fox must have brought an extra wide angle camera lens to fit his bulbous dome into the shot.

He looks like a cross between Egghead from Batman and those large domed aliens from Star Trek...………………..

The gashouse gorillas bludgeoned the Red Sox yesterday 17-13 in an outstanding pitchers duel...………...:rolleyes2:

I hope the folks in the UK don't think that shitshow is a true example of the sport.

I heard they interviewed Gardner after the game; Fox must have brought an extra wide angle camera lens to fit his bulbous dome into the shot.

He looks like a cross between Egghead from Batman and those large domed aliens from Star Trek...………………..

MLB probably juiced the balls to put on a show. I didn't watch it. Are the dimensions of the field a factor?

that was a strange one...
30 runs scored on 37 hits and 12 walks...
the box score reads like War and Peace...

last night...
brother in law...sister and me went to see Verlander pitch...
he looked less than average...
100 pitches in 5 innings with 2 dingers...
he sure does give up a ton of HR's...
Astros squeaked out a 6-5 win in extra innings...
as they did the night before...
with Guriel producing the winning RBI...
was surprised 35,000 raucous fans drove through a biblical downpour to watch that game...

Attachments

• Me.jpg
    Me.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Me (2).jpg
    Me (2).jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Me (3).jpg
    Me (3).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 79

Read that yesterday's 'pitcher's duel' was 2 minutes short of the longest 9 inning game in MLB history. Anyway, the Sox are ahead in today's game, 4-2 after 3. -- Al

Read that yesterday's 'pitcher's duel' was 2 minutes short of the longest 9 inning game in MLB history. Anyway, the Sox are ahead in today's game, 4-2 after 3. -- Al

I've only been to one baseball game in the last twenty years. And it tied the record the record for the longest 9 inning game. The Phillies and Pirates last year. I left after the fifth inning and it was close to ten PM.

The season has been a completely forgettable one for the O's, until Cleveland came to town. The O's have won the first 2 games in the series by identical 13-0 scores. It is their first series win since April and the first time in MLB history that a team has won back to back shutouts while scoring at least 13 runs in each game. It didn't hurt the O's that they had their two aces pitching those games. Means won the first game to get to 7-4 and Cashner won the second to get to 8-3. Those two have 15 of the O's 24 total wins. Cleveland must be wondering what the heck is happening here, and how did they end up in the Twilight Zone instead of Baltimore? ^&grin -- Al

After a 3-8 road trip where the Mets had the lead late in five of those games but the worst bullpen in MLB blew the lead, I was hoping the Braves would sweep the Mets this weekend so the manager could be fired. So far, so good 😊. It’s not all his fault but he’s simply terrible. However, the majority of the blame goes to the rookie GM, who has no business being one; none of his off-season moves have worked out. Not one. Had the bullpen performed somewhat competently, they might be having a decent season.

Not for long.

I checked the score awhile ago; gashouse gorillas 12, Red Sox 8.

So they scored 21 runs in two games and have nothing to show for it.

But hey, they held the gashouse gorillas to under 30 runs.

Here's hoping for the next international series, the Yankees play the Cardinals in Chernobyl.

Gardner would fit right in.

What a joke.

Last edited:
MLB probably juiced the balls to put on a show. I didn't watch it. Are the dimensions of the field a factor?

The gashouse gorillas petitioned the league to install the same dimensions as at Yankee Stadium, specifically 200 feet to right, I guess MLB went along with it.

After a slow start to his season, Mad Max of the Nats is on a tear. Over his last 8 starts, he is 6-0, has allowed only 6 ERs in 57 innings while striking out 83 and walking 8. Max raised his record to 8-5 in today's 2-1 win over Detroit, while lowering his season ERA to 2.43. No coincidence that the Nats surge has mirrored Max's. -- Al

After a slow start to his season, Mad Max of the Nats is on a tear. Over his last 8 starts, he is 6-0, has allowed only 6 ERs in 57 innings while striking out 83 and walking 8. Max raised his record to 8-5 in today's 2-1 win over Detroit, while lowering his season ERA to 2.43. No coincidence that the Nats surge has mirrored Max's. -- Al

Didn't he also recently strike out 10 a day after breaking his nose in batting practice?

Didn't he also recently strike out 10 a day after breaking his nose in batting practice?
Jason, he sure did. Had two black eyes because of the broken nose, looked like a PO'ed raccoon. The man is a competitor with few equals. -- Al

Jason, he sure did. Had two black eyes because of the broken nose, looked like a PO'ed raccoon. The man is a competitor with few equals. -- Al

Two black eyes and a broken nose and he still went out and pitched? I know people who stay home from work when they have the sniffles.

Two black eyes and a broken nose and he still went out and pitched? I know people who stay home from work when they have the sniffles.
Yep, Max is a beast. He's pitched 3 games since breaking his nose (not missing a start) and has fanned 10, 10, and 14 in those games. In fact, he has fanned 10+ in 5 of his last 6 games and the 6th game he had 9 K's. He is on a real tear. His intensity reminds me of Bob Gibson. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back