2019 Baseball season (5 Viewers)

Fun with numbers: Although the season has been somewhat disappointing so far, several Nats have reached milestones. Strasburg and Sanchez have each recorded their 100th career victory this season, while Doolittle has recorded his 100th career save. Neat coincidence. -- Al

More Fun with Numbers: The O's have become the 2nd team in the history of MLB to lose 60 games before the All-Star break 2 years in a row. The only other team to accomplish this dubious feat is...wait for it...the Nats, who did it in 2008 and 2009. My teams...I'm so proud.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Fun with numbers: Although the season has been somewhat disappointing so far, several Nats have reached milestones. Strasburg and Sanchez have each recorded their 100th career victory this season, while Doolittle has recorded his 100th career save. Neat coincidence. -- Al

Things must be getting really desperate for the Nats. They are going to wear Montreal Expos uniforms this weekend and serving brickets. Those Expos unis were among the ugliest I can remember. So bad they are iconic. Hard to look away from them like a traffic accident. Kind of fun for the fans though. I remember Rick Monday hitting a blast in the playoffs during a late fall game in Montreal to take the Dodgers to the WS.

Things must be getting really desperate for the Nats. They are going to wear Montreal Expos uniforms this weekend and serving brickets. Those Expos unis were among the ugliest I can remember. So bad they are iconic. Hard to look away from them like a traffic accident. Kind of fun for the fans though. I remember Rick Monday hitting a blast in the playoffs during a late fall game in Montreal to take the Dodgers to the WS.
It may be a fun idea for some, but I can't imagine that most Nats fans give a crap about the Expo roots of the franchise. For me, the history of this team started with Opening Day 2005. I guess the 'throwback' stuff has it's place and may sell a few extra hats and the like, but this team is DC all the way, not Montreal.:wink2: -- Al

It may be a fun idea for some, but I can't imagine that most Nats fans give a crap about the Expo roots of the franchise. For me, the history of this team started with Opening Day 2005. I guess the 'throwback' stuff has it's place and may sell a few extra hats and the like, but this team is DC all the way, not Montreal.:wink2: -- Al

I honestly do not even remember what the Expos uniforms looked like.

I do remember Gary Carter, Tim Raines, Andre Dawson etc.

The Dodgers somehow won a game last night by getting five straight walks with two outs in the 9th. I've never heard of that before.

walked 5 in the 9th...
that's insane...
must be so frustrating for the fans...
a closer that can't throw a strike in the 9th...
and blows the lead...

Yeah, I remember too

Carlos

Yep, Max is a beast. He's pitched 3 games since breaking his nose (not missing a start) and has fanned 10, 10, and 14 in those games. In fact, he has fanned 10+ in 5 of his last 6 games and the 6th game he had 9 K's. He is on a real tear. His intensity reminds me of Bob Gibson. -- Al
Mad Max continues his unreal pitching. He went 7 scoreless today to beat KC and fanned 11. In his first 10 starts of the season, he was 2-5 with a 3.72 ERA. Then he threw the switch...his next 9 starts have resulted in a 7-0 record, with an ERA under 1.00. He has pitched 65 innings in those 9 starts, allowing 6 earned runs on only 40 hits and 9 walks and he has fanned 94 men over those 65 innings. He now has a 9-5 record on the season with an ERA of 2.30.
P.S.- who's Bryce Harper? Nats under the radar 3B Anthony Rendon is hitting .304 with 20 Hr's and 61 RBI's to this point. Harper is hitting .251 with 16 Hr's and 62 RBI's. Nats haven't missed Harper as they now have 7 men with 11 or more Hr's, and SS Turner would be the 8th man with double figure Hr's (he has 7) if he hadn't missed 30+ games with injuries. Certainly is the year of the Home Run. MLB must be using Superball cores in the balls.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Last edited:
We have reached the All-Star break and both my teams have played 89 games and both show a little improvement over their marks at the same point last year. The O's were 24-65 in 2018 and this year they are 27-62, a 3 game improvement. Nats are 47-42, 2 games better than last year's 45-44 mark. Small advances maybe, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. In addition, the Nats have managed to put themselves into 2nd place, in the race, after a very slow start. I'll take it and hope for continued improvement in the 2nd half for both the Nats and O's. -- Al

Some wild fights at the Cubs-White Sox game. The most excitement that I've seen in the stands this year. Given the brutal heat and beer, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I saw several fights at an LA Rams game last year. Fortunately, no one appears to have been injured. I particularly liked the idiots who were posing and flexing their muscles while filming one fight. It's all a big reality show.

Heck we still hear about the old Boston and Milwaukee Braves now and again - even though from what I understand both cities now have their own pro baseball squads . 😜

Check out the brawl at Disneyland. The kids will have some great memories.

wow!

that's gotta go viral...
I was laughing my rear end off til he knocked out the woman in the wheel chair...
then another girl...
then another girl...

the background music should of been Sly and the Family Stone...
"It's a Family Affair."

Heck we still hear about the old Boston and Milwaukee Braves now and again - even though from what I understand both cities now have their own pro baseball squads . 😜

Not a slight on Atlanta, but I wish the Braves had never left; imagine as a kid being able to see Yaz play for the RS and Aaron play for the Braves in Boston.

This town could support two teams, again it's too bad that they left.

Not a slight on Atlanta, but I wish the Braves had never left; imagine as a kid being able to see Yaz play for the RS and Aaron play for the Braves in Boston.

This town could support two teams, again it's too bad that they left.

There have been times, even years, when I’d have been quite happy to see them return! 😆

Of the major pro sports franchises in Atlanta, the Braves have had the most success. Ted Turner gets credit for that turnaround starting in the early 90s. They have now played in two new Ballparks just in the past ~20 years. That is a bit ridiculous. However the newest is Atlanta’s first ever baseball exclusive stadium. It is closer to where most fans live on the north side of the city, though it’s not actually in the city of Atlanta (just barely). The name Suntrust Field will go away later this year due to the bank getting merged away, but the park itself should be around for a very long time.

Interesting stories going around about the potential Bumgarner trade. The Giants front office is now saying he might be off the market while interested teams have now lowered their offers for him.

Fun with numbers, of the Twilight Zone variety: Last night, July 12, in their first home game since the untimely passing of teammate Tyler Scaggs and on the night the team payed tribute to Scaggs, two Angels pitchers threw a combined no-hitter in a 13-0 win over Seattle. This was the first combined no-hitter in the AL since the O's threw one on July 13, 1991 against the Athletics. July 13, 1991 is Tyler Scaggs birthday. {eek3} -- Al

Today, when O's SP pitcher Aaron Brooks throws the first pitch in the game against Tampa Bay, he will become the 32nd different pitcher the O's have used this year, breaking the team record of 31 pitchers used in a season by the 2018 team. Not an unusual stat considering where the O's are, but unusual in that it is only July 13, 90 games into the season! Don't think this record will last very long...:rolleyes2: -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back