they had a 1:10 early start...
Verlander pitched...
Astros got a win...
I know how expensive it is to go...
I see large families there...
husband...wife...3-4 kids...
everybody has hats and jerseys...
economy must be good in Houston...
full capacity 42,000 on a Wednesday at noonish...
between the tickets and food...
it's gotta be $100 per person...minimum...
not counting $25 parking, gas and apparel...
I'm amazed...
big bucks for Average Joe...

Attachments

• 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 45
went to the game today...
they had a 1:10 early start...
Verlander pitched...
Astros got a win...
I know how expensive it is to go...
I see large families there...
husband...wife...3-4 kids...
everybody has hats and jerseys...
economy must be good in Houston...
full capacity 42,000 on a Wednesday at noonish...
between the tickets and food...
it's gotta be $100 per person...minimum...
not counting $25 parking, gas and apparel...
I'm amazed...
big bucks for Average Joe...

Mike:

Great picture.

I am eventually going to go to an Astro's game. I hear the stadium is very nice.

-Jason

The Gashouse Gorillas come to town this weekend vs the Red Sox.

I'll consider it a victory if they hit less than 47 home runs in the series.

Sanchez is out, so that's a good start.

Mike:

Great picture.

I am eventually going to go to an Astro's game. I hear the stadium is very nice.

-Jason

Jason...

it's a nice clean venue...with a really spirited fan base...Houston fans really support them in large numbers...it seems like they sell out every game...

like me (6'4")...you're a pretty big guy...and the seats are tiny...

I would suggest getting your tickets through astros.com as opposed to Stubbhub...they are so much more knowledgeable on the seating...

I like the ground level...first base side...I like to watch the catcher frame the pitch so I can estimate if it was a strike or not...but still...me and the Ump usually disagree on lots of pitches...^&grin...

I sat in ADA seats the other day...same section as always...and they are sooooooooo roomy...I could really stretch my legs out in them...they are happy to sell ADA seats to anyone regardless of having any disabilities or not...the downside...you can't see the big screen scoreboard...

let me know if you ever plan to go...I might join you...I know you're a long time huge baseball fan...and probably know every single rule...

it seems like every game I watch...something new happens that I need an explanation on...

at the game the other day...a high pop fly hit the rafters...the infield caught it...but it was reviewed...eventually confirmed an out by the review umpires...I just didn't know why they had a review...

George...
bet you enjoyed that game...
23 total hits...
5 walks...
19 runs scored...
12 runs charged against Tanaka in 3.1 innings...
kind of destroyed his ERA...
even though it doesn't count any more than a 1 run game...
those are fun to watch when it's your team doing it...

Jason...

it's a nice clean venue...with a really spirited fan base...Houston fans really support them in large numbers...it seems like they sell out every game...

like me (6'4")...you're a pretty big guy...and the seats are tiny...

I would suggest getting your tickets through astros.com as opposed to Stubbhub...they are so much more knowledgeable on the seating...

I like the ground level...first base side...I like to watch the catcher frame the pitch so I can estimate if it was a strike or not...but still...me and the Ump usually disagree on lots of pitches...^&grin...

I sat in ADA seats the other day...same section as always...and they are sooooooooo roomy...I could really stretch my legs out in them...they are happy to sell ADA seats to anyone regardless of having any disabilities or not...the downside...you can't see the big screen scoreboard...

let me know if you ever plan to go...I might join you...I know you're a long time huge baseball fan...and probably know every single rule...

it seems like every game I watch...something new happens that I need an explanation on...

at the game the other day...a high pop fly hit the rafters...the infield caught it...but it was reviewed...eventually confirmed an out by the review umpires...I just didn't know why they had a review...

Mike:

Thanks for the info on the park etc.

I'd love to take a game in with you!

Hopefully we can do it before the end of this season. I certainly would not mind going to a playoff game!

Best,
Jason

O's played a 16 inning, 6 hour & 19 minutes long marathon in LA last night. Ended up winning 10-8 and the O's OF Steve Wilkerson became the ONLY position player in MLB history to record a save. Wilkerson was the O's 10th pitcher of the game and his fastest pitch topped out at 56 mph. Wilkerson threw 14 total pitches in his perfect save. One of the reasons the game was so long is that there were 28 total strikeouts and 15 walks (11 by the O's!) along with 29 total hits. There were also 25 total stranded runners (13 by the Angels, 12 by the O's). I gave up watching about 12:30 am EST with the Angels ahead 4-2 after 7 innings figuring it was another O's loss. I hate west coast game start times.:rolleyes2: O's now 33-69 on the season, 4 wins ahead of last years pace. Go O's!^&grin -- Al

...One of the reasons the game was so long is that there were 28 total strikeouts and 15 walks (11 by the O's!)...

I wonder how many of those strikeouts were at-bats with 5 or more foul balls with 2 strikes. That's the real place MLB needs to look, to speed up the game. Limiting mound visits, taking away the manager's freedom to make tactical decisions by bringing different pitchers in, implementing the pitch clock-those things don't really contribute to reducing the length of the game. It's the 15-to-20-pitch at-bats, where a batter fouls off ball after ball, that takes the longest amount of time.

We're approaching a new norm for starters, too, in which 20 to 25 pitches an inning are normal, and consequently, a starter will last 5 innings, roughly. Just a couple of seasons ago, you could say that a pitcher was working economically if he threw 10 pitches an inning. A good starter made it through the 7th inning.

Former pitcher Larry Anderson routinely says that this all goes back to the inconsistent way the umpires call the strike zone. Few call it as defined. And batters swing at questionable pitches because of it. I agree that if the strike zone were called more consistently, called as defined, that would lead batters to develop better plate discipline, and shorten the at-bats. But if the umpires won't, or can't, I see a time when we will have technology for reading the strike zone. Not "robot umpires" in the sense of calling other plays on the basepaths or in the field. But the technology already exists to detect objects passing through a defined space. It'll just take someone adapting it to the game.

That, or change the rules and call the third-strike foul. The American Softball Association recognizes that rule; ASA leagues can choose to use it or not. But it means an at-bat is 6 pitches at the most.

I know many fans enjoy seeing a batter foul off pitch after pitch. "He's wearing the pitcher down, it's good strategy!" I disagree. It's as exciting as watching a football team huddle. It's more exciting to see the ball get put in play, or, to watch a really good pitcher strike out the batter with fire or with finesse.

We now return you to "Rain-Delay Theater" and the colorized version of "Bomba the Jungle Boy".

Prost!
Brad

I wonder how many of those strikeouts were at-bats with 5 or more foul balls with 2 strikes. That's the real place MLB needs to look, to speed up the game. Limiting mound visits, taking away the manager's freedom to make tactical decisions by bringing different pitchers in, implementing the pitch clock-those things don't really contribute to reducing the length of the game. It's the 15-to-20-pitch at-bats, where a batter fouls off ball after ball, that takes the longest amount of time.

We're approaching a new norm for starters, too, in which 20 to 25 pitches an inning are normal, and consequently, a starter will last 5 innings, roughly. Just a couple of seasons ago, you could say that a pitcher was working economically if he threw 10 pitches an inning. A good starter made it through the 7th inning.

Former pitcher Larry Anderson routinely says that this all goes back to the inconsistent way the umpires call the strike zone. Few call it as defined. And batters swing at questionable pitches because of it. I agree that if the strike zone were called more consistently, called as defined, that would lead batters to develop better plate discipline, and shorten the at-bats. But if the umpires won't, or can't, I see a time when we will have technology for reading the strike zone. Not "robot umpires" in the sense of calling other plays on the basepaths or in the field. But the technology already exists to detect objects passing through a defined space. It'll just take someone adapting it to the game.

That, or change the rules and call the third-strike foul. The American Softball Association recognizes that rule; ASA leagues can choose to use it or not. But it means an at-bat is 6 pitches at the most.

I know many fans enjoy seeing a batter foul off pitch after pitch. "He's wearing the pitcher down, it's good strategy!" I disagree. It's as exciting as watching a football team huddle. It's more exciting to see the ball get put in play, or, to watch a really good pitcher strike out the batter with fire or with finesse.

We now return you to "Rain-Delay Theater" and the colorized version of "Bomba the Jungle Boy".

Prost!
Brad
I hate colorized films.:wink2: -- Al

George...
bet you enjoyed that game...
23 total hits...
5 walks...
19 runs scored...
12 runs charged against Tanaka in 3.1 innings...
kind of destroyed his ERA...
even though it doesn't count any more than a 1 run game...
those are fun to watch when it's your team doing it...

The last time the Red Sox lit a team up, it was the LET'SGOO'S!!, 17 runs I think.

Then the next game they got exactly one hit off of some washed up no name tomato can.

So I'm going out on a limb and predicting tonight they'll lose 1-0 to the gashouse gorillas.

The last time the Red Sox lit a team up, it was the LET'SGOO'S!!, 17 runs I think.

Then the next game they got exactly one hit off of some washed up no name tomato can.

So I'm going out on a limb and predicting tonight they'll lose 1-0 to the gashouse gorillas.

OR, they could hit three absolute bombs and be up 5-0 after three innings.

So far tonight, the highlight for me was watching Quasimodo butcher a fly ball to right into a triple...…………..he should wear a trash can lid on his hand instead of a glove, he'd have better luck.

The big oaf.

The Red Sox lit up the Gashouse Gorillas again last night, 10-5, outscoring them so far this series 29-8.

Sherman Klump goes today; too bad it wasn't last weekend when it was 98 here, he would have melted into a pile of goo on the mound.

I have no doubt the Gashouse Gorillas will go out at the deadline and steal the two best starters on the market for two boxes of baseballs, a bag of bats, Walt "no neck" Williams and a player to be named later.

Another day, another beat down on the gashouse gorillas, 9-5, that's 38 runs scored over the first three games of the series, today they slapped Sherman Klump around and sent him to the showers early, although in his case, they strap him to a flatbed and run him through a carwash.

The last time Yankees were beat this badly was Fredericksburg.

If the United States went to war with the gashouse gorilla starters in World War II, we'd all be speaking German.

Last edited:
they still have one more don't they?
isn't that a 4 game series...
with the Sox's help...
the Astros are only 1/2 game behind them now...
beat them again...

they still have one more don't they?
isn't that a 4 game series...
with the Sox's help...
the Astros are only 1/2 game behind them now...
beat them again...

Yup, one more tonight.

A reverse Boston Massacre circa 1978 would be nice...…………..as would a gashouse gorilla collapse.

It's a small snapshot, but I look at their line up 1-9 and can't wrap my head around how they have the best record in MLB, they've got AAA scrubs and washed up tomato cans up and down the line up.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about the "training regimen" the gashouse gorillas have in the Bronx.

Like them or not, they had a lot of injuries earlier this year, and they've played really well. Some of their substitutes like Urshella have excelled. To a certain extent, you can credit Boone. I think he's done a terrific job and I have to admit I was wrong about him. It also doesn't hurt to have the quality of the bullpen they have.

I don't think losing three of four or even being swept will have an effect on the divisional race, barring a total collapse and I don't think a total collapse is realistic. What I'm sure concerns Cashman more is not having very good starting pitching for the playoffs. He didn't do a good job in obtaining starters in the offseason. Of course, no one could have predicted Severino would be out this long. One thing is evident: obtaining a starter by Wednesday will be costly, probably more costly than it was before this series started.

I still think they're the team to beat in the AL but I don't think they can beat the Dodgers with this SP and the only thing that matters to them are WS championships.

Like them or not, they had a lot of injuries earlier this year, and they've played really well. Some of their substitutes like Urshella have excelled. To a certain extent, you can credit Boone. I think he's done a terrific job and I have to admit I was wrong about him. It also doesn't hurt to have the quality of the bullpen they have.

I don't think losing three of four or even being swept will have an effect on the divisional race, barring a total collapse and I don't think a total collapse is realistic. What I'm sure concerns Cashman more is not having very good starting pitching for the playoffs. He didn't do a good job in obtaining starters in the offseason. Of course, no one could have predicted Severino would be out this long. One thing is evident: obtaining a starter by Wednesday will be costly, probably more costly than it was before this series started.

I still think they're the team to beat in the AL but I don't think they can beat the Dodgers with this SP and the only thing that matters to them are WS championships.

"Like them or not"...….

I don't.

^&grin

After 106 games the Sox held an 8.5 lead over the gashouse gorillas in 1978.

The Sox were playing .632 ball then, they are playing .635 today and if they win tonight, the lead is down to 7.

I doubt there will be a repeat of 1978, that's a once in a lifetime choke job and there's no other word for it, the Red Sox choked.

Just make the playoffs and take it from there, which won't easy as they are fighting with two other teams for one spot, so two of them will be on the outside looking in.

What killed them is not signing Kimbrel, they have no real closer and they lead the AL in blown saves, maybe all of MLB for that matter, it's been a killer for them.

Last edited:
Have you seen Kimbrel's stats this year? Not pretty. Although he has converted 7 of 8 chances, his ERA is 6.75 and his WHIP is 1.68. His WHIP last year was under 1. Maybe Dombrowski knew what he was doing.

Have you seen Kimbrel's stats this year? Not pretty. Although he has converted 7 of 8 chances, his ERA is 6.75 and his WHIP is 1.68. His WHIP last year was under 1. Maybe Dombrowski knew what he was doing.

Understood, but he missed all of spring training, it's not easy to just walk out to the mound and pick up where you left off the season before.

The Red Sox tried this foolish "closer by committee" nonsense, that never works.

And a year after winning the World Series, the rumor is if the Red Sox do not make the playoffs with the highest payroll in baseball, Dombrowski will be shown the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back