2019 Baseball season (5 Viewers)

Classic case of The Grass Isn't Always Greener: From 2009 thru 2015 the Nats had one of baseball's better RH pitchers, Jordan Zimmermann. His record with the Nats was 70-50 with a 3.32 ERA, other good numbers as a reliable 200 IP and a no-hitter to his resume. Then came FA and Zimm decided to take a flyer and signed with Detroit. It has been a disaster of a deal for Detroit and Zimm. In the 3+ seasons with Detroit, Zimm has pitched as many as 160 innings once, has a record with the Tigers of 24-36 with an ERA approaching 5.60. He lost today, making his 2019 record 0-8 with a 7.57 ERA! He has had injury problems since going to Detroit but the rapid and total decline in his effectiveness is shocking. He was one of my favorite pitchers, which is why I still follow him. I hope he can get his act together but at 33 years of age and with such tragic numbers in the last 4 years, I would think his rope is running out. -- Al
Obviously, I should have posted this a lot sooner as Jordan must have been motivated by it.:rolleyes2: He won last night, his first start since my post, but more importantly, his first win in 14 starts going back to Sept. 2018. He is now 1-8. Hey, it's a good sign for him, if nothing else. Keep it up, Zimm!^&grin -- Al

In a year of uncertainty for the O's, the one thing that seems obvious is that RHP David Hess will not be a solution to their SP problems. After winning his first start of the season on April 1, Hess has lost 10 straight starts in 13 attempts. Tellingly, he has pitched 64.1 innings in those 13 games, allowing 59 earned runs and an almost unbelievable 25 Hrs! His record on the season, 1-10 with a 7.31 ERA, are not the kind of numbers that foretell a long career. At 26 years old, maybe he can turn it around, if this disaster hasn't messed with his head too much, and, of course, if he has more talent than he has shown so far. A rough evaluation, for sure, but the guy is now 4-20 in his career and has allowed 47 Hrs in only 176 total innings. Whatever he's doing sure isn't working. -- Al

O's beat SD today to end July with a 12-12 record, a modest achievement perhaps, but it breaks a run of 10 straight months of losing baseball for the O's. They are now 36-71 on the year, still 4 wins ahead of last year's pace at 107 games played. Baby steps. -- Al

Pirates finally won last night after drought since I was there in person last week!! And they literally kicked the Reds behind, full on riot of a fight! The manager of the Reds is an utter disgrace - Bell - no business being in baseball. Crybaby ahole. He literally tackled and swung at the Pirates Mgr (Clint Hurdle who is 62 years old with 2 replaced hips). What a piece of garbage, he needs to endure a long suspension.

TD

Astros pulled off a last minute trade to get Zack Greinke from Arizona...this will help fill out their starting rotation with a high quality pitcher...since Kuechel and Morton left this year...they have not been as dominant...but they have been fortunate with Miley...this is really a big deal to add Greinke...

Congratulations to the Houston Astros, the 2019 World Series Champions. While the rest of the AL contenders sat on their hands they picked up Zach Greinke to be their number 3 starter.😡 I think George needs to come up with a nickname for them like the gas house Gorillas.

Congratulations to the Houston Astros, the 2019 World Series Champions. While the rest of the AL contenders sat on their hands they picked up Zach Greinke to be their number 3 starter.😡 I think George needs to come up with a nickname for them like the gas house Gorillas.

Yup, totally agree, the Astors just won themselves a trip to the WS, beating the NL representative will be another kettle of fish, but with that staff, they are loaded and as we all know, pitching wins championships.

The Red Sox have a barren farm system, so whatever little is left was not enough to make a deal for another arm.

Their starting pitching is in shambles, their bullpen is a mess, I can't see them getting into the playoffs...…….hey if nothing else, Astors/Gashouse Gorillas will be a nice ALCS...……………..

hope you're both right...
but Greinke hasn't even put on a uniform yet...^&grin

I hope he can help...
Urquiday and Armenteros both can't be the 4th and 5th in the rotation...
neither is ready for prime time...

glad to get Maldonado back too...
never thought much of Stassi...

weren't the Gashouse Gorillas the team Bugs Bunny played against?

the big, unshaven, burly guys in pin stripes?

I’m not as pessimistic as some Yankee fans are. Yes, it would have helped big time had they gotten a starter but their SP is not terrible and if they get Severino back, it will be like acquiring a starter. Moreover, they don’t need their starters to go seven because of their bullpen and if they get Betances back, it will that much better. Obviously, I’d like to have three terrific starters like the Astros do but although good, they’re not Gibson, Koufax and Drysdale. I wouldn’t count the Yankees out.

Brad...
well...
I'm not as optimistic as some Astro's fan...
or Louis and George's...
I wish I could be...
but I'm used to disappointment as a Cowboy's fan...
still...there is reason not to expect improvement with Grienke in the rotation...

don't know if you have looked at Wade Miley's 2019 stats...
I don't think he gets the attention he deserves with both Verlander and Cole hogging the spotlight...
kind of over shadowed...
but he is having a very good year...
probably now ranked the 4th best pitcher in their rotation...

Wade Miley...2019 Regular Season...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/31094/wade-miley

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/year/2019/seasontype/2/league/al

Brad...
well...
I'm not as optimistic as some Astro's fan...
or Louis and George's...
I wish I could be...
but I'm used to disappointment as a Cowboy's fan...
still...there is reason not to expect improvement with Grienke in the rotation...

don't know if you have looked at Wade Miley's 2019 stats...
I don't think he gets the attention he deserves with both Verlander and Cole hogging the spotlight...
kind of over shadowed...
but he is having a very good year...
probably now ranked the 4th best pitcher in their rotation...

Wade Miley...2019 Regular Season...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/31094/wade-miley

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/year/2019/seasontype/2/league/al
Miley is on pace to have his 'career year'. After watching him in Baltimore for 2 seasons and seeing him have a different type of 'career year' in 2017 (8-15, 5.61 ERA), I keep waiting for the bubble to burst but I wish him good luck with Houston. He seems to have figured it out the last 2 seasons. -- Al

Michael, I would much rather be in Houston's position than not and they should and will be the favorites but all I'm saying is don't count the Yankees out; they might actually relish the underdog role.

When I am in Texas I listen/watch the Astro's broadcasts.

When I first moved there they were terrible. However management kept telling the fan base to be patient, they would develop prospects, eventually spend money and make deals when the time was right. I rolled my eyes at that and thought they were just another franchise shinning their fans on.

Fast forward ten years and they have won a World Series, they have one of the best farm systems in MLB, they have signed players to big contracts and made huge deals for Verlander, Greinke etc.

I am not saying that they are the greatest team ever, nor am I sure that they can beat the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers this year. However I have a ton of respect for their franchise because they followed through on their promises to the their fans and turned a downtrodden team in to a contender that continues to strive to be the best in baseball.

Miley is on pace to have his 'career year'. After watching him in Baltimore for 2 seasons and seeing him have a different type of 'career year' in 2017 (8-15, 5.61 ERA), I keep waiting for the bubble to burst but I wish him good luck with Houston. He seems to have figured it out the last 2 seasons. -- Al

Yup, the Red Sox traded for him and he was a complete bum here too; moves on to Houston and becomes Sandy Koufax...…………….unreal.

When I am in Texas I listen/watch the Astro's broadcasts.

When I first moved there they were terrible. However management kept telling the fan base to be patient, they would develop prospects, eventually spend money and make deals when the time was right. I rolled my eyes at that and thought they were just another franchise shinning their fans on.

Fast forward ten years and they have won a World Series, they have one of the best farm systems in MLB, they have signed players to big contracts and made huge deals for Verlander, Greinke etc.

I am not saying that they are the greatest team ever, nor am I sure that they can beat the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers this year. However I have a ton of respect for their franchise because they followed through on their promises to the their fans and turned a downtrodden team in to a contender that continues to strive to be the best in baseball.

I don’t see a lot of their games, except at playoff time but their pitching coach is top tier and their manager seems unflappable. I suppose you could say a lot of managers are like that. I suppose it’s a job requirement.

Yup, the Red Sox traded for him and he was a complete bum here too; moves on to Houston and becomes Sandy Koufax...…………….unreal.

George...
sometimes a change of scenery invigorates the player...
gives him new life...
a second chance...
Amari Cooper didn't do squat with the Raiders...
he has excelled in Dallas...

George...
sometimes a change of scenery invigorates the player...
gives him new life...
a second chance...
Amari Cooper didn't do squat with the Raiders...
he has excelled in Dallas...

Understood, but he was a bum in Baltimore, a bum in Boston, now he's having a career year.

Maybe the Astors have a brilliant pitching coach who gets the most out of guys.

It's like the Patriots offensive line coach; he's an incredible coach, he takes guys who have underperformed elsewhere and coaches them up...….I read a story that the Patriots interior line (center, left and right guard) graded out as the top interior line in the NFL...…...........he retired afew years ago and the line dropped off, so they begged him to come back and he did, three strait Super Bowls/two wins later, here we are….so there is something to say about coaching.

Regardless, what the Astors have done the past several years is pretty special, if they win another World Series, that would be quite a run they've been on lately.

Time will tell, but they're looking very good right now.

Understood, but he was a bum in Baltimore, a bum in Boston, now he's having a career year.

Maybe the Astors have a brilliant pitching coach who gets the most out of guys.

It's like the Patriots offensive line coach; he's an incredible coach, he takes guys who have underperformed elsewhere and coaches them up...….I read a story that the Patriots interior line (center, left and right guard) graded out as the top interior line in the NFL...…...........he retired afew years ago and the line dropped off, so they begged him to come back and he did, three strait Super Bowls/two wins later, here we are….so there is something to say about coaching.

Regardless, what the Astors have done the past several years is pretty special, if they win another World Series, that would be quite a run they've been on lately.

Time will tell, but they're looking very good right now.

well...
I like Hinch...
he has a good rapport with his players...

still...
a couple of weeks ago...
Miley had a shut out going through 8...
the Astros were up 2-0...
he had a pretty low pitch count...around 90 pitches...going into the 9th...
instead of bringing in Osuna...the closer...
he let Miley try to get a complete game...
which is pretty rare now days...
Miley walked the first 2...
Hinch pulled him and put in Osuna...
Osuna immediately gave up a home run with 2 on...
Oakland 3...Astros 2...
the Astros managed to score in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game...
but eventually lost it in extra innings...
Hinch caught hell for that...

I watch every game...
never miss a single game...
the Astros seem to get a lot of close calls...
stolen bases...tags not made at home...errors by the other team...lots of flukey breaks...
they are good from top to bottom...but they seem exceptionally lucky to me...

they brought up some Cuban kid from the minors named Yordan Alvarez...
"El Hombre Nino"...
big guy built like Aaron Judge...
he's breaking tons of records in rookie hitting...
has played 37 games and has 36 RBI's...
broke Albert Pujos long standing rookie record...
12 home runs...mostly long ones...one 475 ft. 2 weeks ago...
11 doubles...
326 avg...
413 OBP...
19 Base on balls...good eye for strike zone...
674 slugging...
1087 OPS...

he has really helped them score...

the team is streakish...
but maybe all MLB teams are...
one night they look awesome...
the next night not so much...^&grin

so many players have been out this year...
Altuve missed 29 games...
Correa missed...50 games
Springer missed...27 games
Diaz...missed 45 games...

this is the first time in a long time they have all their starters back...
so give Hinch credit for staying near the top with substitute players...

McCullers also has been out for the year with TJ surgery...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...hing-baseballs-and-setting-records/ar-AAEM7bi

Fun with numbers: The O's have yielded double figure runs in 20 games this season, the most in MLB. They are 1-19 in those games. Hardly shocking. The O's are 6-0 in games that they scored in double figures. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back