2019 Baseball season (2 Viewers)

Mike, I usually just switch over to the Nats when things get too bad, but there is a certain fascination watching a disaster unfold... -- Al

hahaha...
I know that feeling...
it's called watching a train wreck...
probably the only reason I ever watched Evil Kneevil...

I was shocked to see that the Giants have DFA'ed Joe Panik. I remember how well he played his first few seasons and the clutch hits he always seemed to get against the Nats. Someone will pick him up. -- Al

Even more fun with numbers: O's have added to their MLB record of games with 5 or more Hrs allowed in a game as the NYY's have hit 5 in tonight's game (still in progress), giving the O's 14 such games. They have also managed to set the record for consecutive games giving up multiple Hrs in a game. Former record was 9, O's own the new record at 10.:rolleyes2: NYY's have also hit 32 Hrs in their 8 games at Camden this season, also a record. Jeesh, the hits just keep on coming.{eek3} -- Al

Hey Al!!! :eek:

I took my family and two friends to the O's/Yanks game Monday night- man alive what a FANTASTIC experience it was!!! Beautiful night, great seats (Section 58). My son loves baseball and I have wanted to get him to a game for years now- mainly to see his favorite player Andrew McCutcheon. With all stars and other commitments, I haven't been able to make it happen till Monday night. So I treated him to a very late Birthday present as he wanted to see Judge play and my wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary next Tuesday so I got a two for one deal here!!! For the win!!! {sm3}{sm3}

I was UTTERLY SHOCKED at the swarms of Yankee fans in the stands!!! There were a little over 20k people there and like 16k were wearing Yankees garb. I told everyone to leave that stuff at the house but they wore it anyway and I was more the minority rooting for the O's and wearing a Dodgers T Shirt. If the O's could get some pitching, they could really make a mark- To be there and watch Villar go the Cycle was fantastic!!! The sad thing was when he did it, you could almost hear a pin drop in the stadium. I said to everyone after he got his double (making Judge look like a slacker), that he could go the Cycle- and then he did.

But yeah, the O's kept pace last night and Monday night with the best offensive team in baseball. They really didn't make any fielding errors- their pitchers are just suspect I guess.

Hey Al!!! :eek:

I took my family and two friends to the O's/Yanks game Monday night- man alive what a FANTASTIC experience it was!!! Beautiful night, great seats (Section 58). My son loves baseball and I have wanted to get him to a game for years now- mainly to see his favorite player Andrew McCutcheon. With all stars and other commitments, I haven't been able to make it happen till Monday night. So I treated him to a very late Birthday present as he wanted to see Judge play and my wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary next Tuesday so I got a two for one deal here!!! For the win!!! {sm3}{sm3}

I was UTTERLY SHOCKED at the swarms of Yankee fans in the stands!!! There were a little over 20k people there and like 16k were wearing Yankees garb. I told everyone to leave that stuff at the house but they wore it anyway and I was more the minority rooting for the O's and wearing a Dodgers T Shirt. If the O's could get some pitching, they could really make a mark- To be there and watch Villar go the Cycle was fantastic!!! The sad thing was when he did it, you could almost hear a pin drop in the stadium. I said to everyone after he got his double (making Judge look like a slacker), that he could go the Cycle- and then he did.

But yeah, the O's kept pace last night and Monday night with the best offensive team in baseball. They really didn't make any fielding errors- their pitchers are just suspect I guess.
Hi Chris. Glad you had such a good experience with your family at the game. With O's attendance being down, it's not too hard for opposing teams like NY, Boston, Philly, to pull large numbers of their fans into town with them and then dominate Camden. That will change once the O's improve and get back into the race, whenever that may be. O's have some good hitters and are fun to watch for a rebuilding team, but as you say, the pitching needs big time help. -- Al

I was shocked to see that the Giants have DFA'ed Joe Panik. I remember how well he played his first few seasons and the clutch hits he always seemed to get against the Nats. Someone will pick him up. -- Al

Al:

There is a lot of shock among Giants fans as well. Even with his at best average numbers I thought the Giants would keep him for the rest of the year.

-Jason

Yuli is crushing the ball today...
all of July and now August really
7 RBI's in todays early game and it's not in the 5th inning yet...

Dustin Pedroia had yet another procedure on his knee, this one is a quality of life issue vs a ever playing again issue.

Pedroia would forgo the remainder of his contract if he retired and the Red Sox would no longer be on the hook for it from a luxury tax standpoint. That's very unlikely to happen. More likely is that he and the team will negotiate a buyout of his contract, like the Mets and David Wright did, which won't give the team much if any relief from a luxury tax standpoint but might change how they pay out the deal in real dollars. It would probably also involve giving him a position within the organization.

I would expect the main reason to do this instead of simply riding out the deal is that official retirement starts the clock on Hall of Fame eligibility and probably has implications for the MLBPA pension/retirement plan too. The team also gets the benefit of his spot on the roster being freed up. During the season it's not a big deal since he can be placed on the 60-day DL, but there is no 60-day DL in the off-season, so they'd have to carry him on the 40-man through the winter.

So basically, they have been paying him his full salary under the terms of his contract even though he hasn't stepped foot on a field in two years.

Look; I get it, the average career is short, these guys have to make all the money they can while they can, but guaranteed contracts in baseball are a complete and utter joke, this is example #1.

The Red Sox have been hamstrung the past two years, not the players fault he got hurt, I guarantee you the MLBPA has been hounding him NOT to retire, but it is a farce.

Whoever the union representative was who conned the owners into going along with guaranteed contracts should be worshiped by every former and current player who has profited thanks to him.

In football, you sign a contract, it's front loaded with signing bonuses and 95% of the players never see the money on the back end as they either get cut or renegotiate and they roll some of that money into the new deal.

Again, the players owe that guy in a major way.

Dustin Pedroia had yet another procedure on his knee, this one is a quality of life issue vs a ever playing again issue.

Pedroia would forgo the remainder of his contract if he retired and the Red Sox would no longer be on the hook for it from a luxury tax standpoint. That's very unlikely to happen. More likely is that he and the team will negotiate a buyout of his contract, like the Mets and David Wright did, which won't give the team much if any relief from a luxury tax standpoint but might change how they pay out the deal in real dollars. It would probably also involve giving him a position within the organization.

I would expect the main reason to do this instead of simply riding out the deal is that official retirement starts the clock on Hall of Fame eligibility and probably has implications for the MLBPA pension/retirement plan too. The team also gets the benefit of his spot on the roster being freed up. During the season it's not a big deal since he can be placed on the 60-day DL, but there is no 60-day DL in the off-season, so they'd have to carry him on the 40-man through the winter.

So basically, they have been paying him his full salary under the terms of his contract even though he hasn't stepped foot on a field in two years.

Look; I get it, the average career is short, these guys have to make all the money they can while they can, but guaranteed contracts in baseball are a complete and utter joke, this is example #1.

The Red Sox have been hamstrung the past two years, not the players fault he got hurt, I guarantee you the MLBPA has been hounding him NOT to retire, but it is a farce.

Whoever the union representative was who conned the owners into going along with guaranteed contracts should be worshiped by every former and current player who has profited thanks to him.

In football, you sign a contract, it's front loaded with signing bonuses and 95% of the players never see the money on the back end as they either get cut or renegotiate and they roll some of that money into the new deal.

Again, the players owe that guy in a major way.

George:

On a side note, like Rendon on the Nats, Pedroia has always been one of my favorite non-Giants.

Sad to see him go this way. He played the game the way it should be played.

-Jason

Lord, and it just keeps going...the Bombers shelled the O's again tonight, hitting 6 more Hrs, giving them 38 in the 9 Camden games. Unreal. Also runs the O's record for consecutive games giving up multiple Hrs to 11 and their other record of games yielding 5 or more Hrs in a game in a season to 15. How the heck does a team give up 38 Hrs in 9 games? :rolleyes2: -- Al
Un-freaking-believable. NY have shelled the O's, again. Currently leading 14-1 in the 9th, NY has hit another 5 Hrs tonight, the 3rd game in a row with 5 or more against the O's, 16 total in the 3 games, tying the MLB record for most Hrs in a 3 game series. O's record for consecutive games yielding multiple Hrs has now reached 12 while their record for yielding 5 or more Hrs in a game in a season has reached 16. NY have now hit 43 Hrs in their 10 Camden Yard games. NY has now won 12 straight against the O's this season, outscoring the O's 103-48 in those 12 games. NY is 13-2 against the O's overall. Fortunately, they don't come back this season.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Last edited:
Un-freaking-believable. NY have shelled the O's, again. Currently leading 14-1 in the 9th, NY has hit another 5 Hrs tonight, the 3rd game in a row with 5 or more against the O's, 16 total in the 3 games, tying the MLB record for most Hrs in a 3 game series. O's record for consecutive games yielding multiple Hrs has now reached 12 while their record for yielding 5 or more Hrs in a game in a season has reached 16. NY have now hit 43 Hrs in their 10 Camden Yard games. NY has now won 12 straight against the O's this season, outscoring the O's 103-48 in those 12 games. NY is 13-2 against the O's overall. Fortunately, they don't come back this season.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Al...
that is a depressing bevy of stats for the O's...
NYY's are smoking hot right now...
looking at the home/road stats for the AL leaders...
home field in the playoffs would seem a huge advantage...

Al...
that is a depressing bevy of stats for the O's...
NYY's are smoking hot right now...
looking at the home/road stats for the AL leaders...
home field in the playoffs would seem a huge advantage...
Indeed. O's still have 4 games against NY, but they are in NY where the Bombers have 'only' 9 Hrs in 5 games against the O's. Whatever happens in the last 4 games, I believe NY has set the record for Hrs in a season series against a given team. O's are simply shell-shocked at this point, having now given up 234 Hrs in 114 games.{eek3} -- Al

baseball wins/loses seem to go in streaks...
a team gets hot or cold and runs off a few games in either direction...
maybe your O's are about to change their luck...

baseball wins/loses seem to go in streaks...
a team gets hot or cold and runs off a few games in either direction...
maybe your O's are about to change their luck...
Hmm...I doubt it. The O's next 10 games are 3 with your Astros, 4 in NYY land, and 3 with Boston. I don't like the odds. :rolleyes2: -- Al

Hmm...I doubt it. The O's next 10 games are 3 with your Astros, 4 in NYY land, and 3 with Boston. I don't like the odds. :rolleyes2: -- Al

No worries, you might get swept by the Astors and the Gashouse Gorillas, but it's a lead pipe lock you'll at minimum take 2 out of 3 from the Red Sox, a sweep isn't out of the question, it's a lead pipe lock because that's what the LET'S GO O'S!! do, they torpedo Red Sox seasons.

No worries, you might get swept by the Astors and the Gashouse Gorillas, but it's a lead pipe lock you'll at minimum take 2 out of 3 from the Red Sox, a sweep isn't out of the question, it's a lead pipe lock because that's what the LET'S GO O'S!! do, they torpedo Red Sox seasons.
We'll see 10 games from now, but the O's haven't torpedoed anyone for a while. -- Al

Al...
great game...
really close...
a pitcher's duel...
we squeaked one out...
if Bundy didn't need 55 pitches to get through the first 2 innings...
he would of gone at least to the 7th...maybe the 8th...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back