2019 Baseball season (4 Viewers)

congrats Al...
that was a nail biter...
huge upset to knock LA out...
I don't want to hear you complaining about your bull pen anymore...^&grin...^&grin...^&grin

congrats Al...
that was a nail biter...
huge upset to knock LA out...
I don't want to hear you complaining about your bull pen anymore...^&grin...^&grin...^&grin
Thanks, Mike. Gotta give the pen their props tonight. Strasburg wasn't sharp but righted the ship and kept it close and the bullpen couldn't have been better. This is all very new and satisfying for a Nats fan.:wink2: -- Al

Congratulations Al. I know you’ve waited a long time for a win like this and they did it in dramatic fashion. Try to get some sleep: good luck with that! ^&grin

Congratulations Al. I know you’ve waited a long time for a win like this and they did it in dramatic fashion. Try to get some sleep: good luck with that! ^&grin
Thanks, Brad. I'll sleep later, maybe. Gonna enjoy this for a little while. -- Al

Congrats Al. The Nats played a great series and deserved to win. An epic disaster and choke job for my Dodgers. Talent wise they should have won easily. The decision to keep Kershaw in the game will go down in darkest LA history just behind the Black Dahlia. I think Roberts was trying to give Kershaw an opportunity for redemption from all his prior post season disappointments but it backfired in a huge way. The sea is really parting for the Yanks. If the Rays win out, then they might sweep their way to another WS. At least the Dodgers won't lose three in a row!. That is the only optimistic thought I can generate.

Congrats Al. The Nats played a great series and deserved to win. An epic disaster and choke job for my Dodgers. Talent wise they should have won easily. The decision to keep Kershaw in the game will go down in darkest LA history just behind the Black Dahlia. I think Roberts was trying to give Kershaw an opportunity for redemption from all his prior post season disappointments but it backfired in a huge way. The sea is really parting for the Yanks. If the Rays win out, then they might sweep their way to another WS. At least the Dodgers won't lose three in a row!. That is the only optimistic thought I can generate.

Condolences Doug. As a fan, I know that's tough to take. To every happy fan on one side, there's a very unhappy fan on the other. The way the Braves lost is infinitely better; they knew it was over immediately. As the old Brooklyn saying goes, "wait till next year."

Thanks, Doug, I appreciate it. If it matters, I would rather it had been someone other than Kershaw who got burned. I just don't understand managers. Roberts had a bullpen all set with great matchups, but he got sentimental. -- Al

Congrats to Al and sorry about the loss Doug.

They got beat by a guy who I thought died 5 years ago; Howie Kendrick.

Holy smokes.

And yes, if the Astors lose today, might as well just hand the trophy to the Gashouse Gorillas and they won another WS going through the Twins, Rays/whoever survives the NL, quite a gauntlet.

Twenty years from now, Gashouse Gorilla fans like Costas, Crystal and Spike Lee as well as Louie/Vinnie/Sal/Joey bag of donuts will remember it as going through the 27 Yankees, 75 Reds and 86 Mets.

OTOH, how tremendous would it be if they gag and get knocked off...……………..I'll hope for the latter but expect the former.

I went to bed when the Nats scored their first run to make it 3-1. My wife woke me up around 1 I guess to tell me what I already knew, the Dodgers lost. It's easy to put the loss on Kershaw, and admittedly, there are sound reasons to, but in the end, the Dodgers just do not separate. They don't put teams away. They have a tendency to get up early and then cannot stay strong though out a game. They did the same thing a couple times last season in the Series with Boston- would go up by 4 runs and it just wasn't enough. By the sixth, things were starting to crack and baserunners weren't there and the opposing defense and pitching would just tighten up and that was it. There is something there with them where they just don't finish teams off. They got two homers in the first and second and then hibernated.

I'm reading that Strasburg did not get the win- is that correct??? If so, why???

Nats fans gotta be loving this- the irony of doing this without Harper has got to be fun. The Nats are making these playoffs interesting no doubt.

The Dodgers will be feeling this sting for a long time. Worse than even the WS losses that can at least be attributed to playing the best team. This pretty much sums it up:

"Never in the regular season had Kershaw given up home runs on back-to-back pitches, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. This was the second time he had done it in the postseason."

I went to bed when the Nats scored their first run to make it 3-1. My wife woke me up around 1 I guess to tell me what I already knew, the Dodgers lost. It's easy to put the loss on Kershaw, and admittedly, there are sound reasons to, but in the end, the Dodgers just do not separate. They don't put teams away. They have a tendency to get up early and then cannot stay strong though out a game. They did the same thing a couple times last season in the Series with Boston- would go up by 4 runs and it just wasn't enough. By the sixth, things were starting to crack and baserunners weren't there and the opposing defense and pitching would just tighten up and that was it. There is something there with them where they just don't finish teams off. They got two homers in the first and second and then hibernated.

I'm reading that Strasburg did not get the win- is that correct??? If so, why???

Nats fans gotta be loving this- the irony of doing this without Harper has got to be fun. The Nats are making these playoffs interesting no doubt.
Chris, Strasburg did not get the win because he was long out of the game when the winning runs were scored in the 10th inning. The pitcher of record was the reliever Hudson who was on the mound in the 9th. Strasburg left after 6 with the Nats trailing 3-1. The only way Strasburg could have gotten the win is for the Nats to have scored the go-ahead runs in the top of the 7th and held that lead to the end. And, yes, love the irony of Harper getting to watch all this on the tube.:wink2: -- Al

The Dodgers will be feeling this sting for a long time. Worse than even the WS losses that can at least be attributed to playing the best team. This pretty much sums it up:

"Never in the regular season had Kershaw given up home runs on back-to-back pitches, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. This was the second time he had done it in the postseason."

The first one was bad, the second one was a room service meatball right down the pipe, just awful.

What a way to lose...……………...today on sports talk radio they were talking about running into a hot team in the playoffs, destiny is on some teams side, etc, etc.

There is truth to that, but also, there is truth to choking too.

The Bruins ran into a team in the Blues with a horseshoe up their ***, but they strait up choked in game 7 at home, laid a gigantic egg.

The Patriots ran into a hot team twice in 2007 and 2011 in the Giants, they did not choke, they lost a one game elimination.

The Red Sox in 1986 were up 2-0 on the Mets, proceeded to lose 4 of the next 5, game 6 was the all time biggest choke in professional sports history, up two runs with two outs, no one on base, two strikes on the batter, then base hit, base hit, base hit, base hit, wild pitch, error, ballgame. That was a choke of epic proportions, if they played that inning 1,000 times, they get the final out 999 times.

Teams, aka managers make bad decisions when the spotlight is brightest, they also choke. In the 2003 ALCS, with Timlin and Williamson ready to go, Grady left a gassed Pedro in the game and it cost them the game and the series.

The Yankees returned the favor the following year, up 3-0 in the ALCS, they proceeded to **** themselves and blew the lead and the series. That IMO is the second biggest choke in professional sports history, how on earth to you blow a 3-0 lead with games 6 and 7 at home, inexcusable.

The Gashouse Gorillas can win the WS this year and in all honesty, I could give a rats ***; if the Astors choke tonight (and sorry, blowing a 2-0 lead with your best pitcher on the mound if it happens is a monumental choke), the Gashouse Gorillas will waltz to a WS title.

Good for them, two more to go this century and they will catch the Red Sox.

Congrats to Al and sorry about the loss Doug.

They got beat by a guy who I thought died 5 years ago; Howie Kendrick.

Holy smokes.

And yes, if the Astors lose today, might as well just hand the trophy to the Gashouse Gorillas and they won another WS going through the Twins, Rays/whoever survives the NL, quite a gauntlet.

Twenty years from now, Gashouse Gorilla fans like Costas, Crystal and Spike Lee as well as Louie/Vinnie/Sal/Joey bag of donuts will remember it as going through the 27 Yankees, 75 Reds and 86 Mets.

OTOH, how tremendous would it be if they gag and get knocked off...……………..I'll hope for the latter but expect the former.
George, although Kendrick had a really rough series in the field, he has been one of the big reasons the Nats are where they are. Coming off the bench and playing several positions all year, he hit .344 with 17 Hrs and 62 RBI's. He was a crucial cog for the team. His veteran bat was there all season in all sort of clutch situations. -- Al

The first one was bad, the second one was a room service meatball right down the pipe, just awful.

What a way to lose...……………...today on sports talk radio they were talking about running into a hot team in the playoffs, destiny is on some teams side, etc, etc.

There is truth to that, but also, there is truth to choking too.

The Bruins ran into a team in the Blues with a horseshoe up their ***, but they strait up choked in game 7 at home, laid a gigantic egg.

The Patriots ran into a hot team twice in 2007 and 2011 in the Giants, they did not choke, they lost a one game elimination.

The Red Sox in 1986 were up 2-0 on the Mets, proceeded to lose 4 of the next 5, game 6 was the all time biggest choke in professional sports history, up two runs with two outs, no one on base, two strikes on the batter, then base hit, base hit, base hit, base hit, wild pitch, error, ballgame. That was a choke of epic proportions, if they played that inning 1,000 times, they get the final out 999 times.

Teams, aka managers make bad decisions when the spotlight is brightest, they also choke. In the 2003 ALCS, with Timlin and Williamson ready to go, Grady left a gassed Pedro in the game and it cost them the game and the series.

The Yankees returned the favor the following year, up 3-0 in the ALCS, they proceeded to **** themselves and blew the lead and the series. That IMO is the second biggest choke in professional sports history, how on earth to you blow a 3-0 lead with games 6 and 7 at home, inexcusable.

The Gashouse Gorillas can win the WS this year and in all honesty, I could give a rats ***; if the Astors choke tonight (and sorry, blowing a 2-0 lead with your best pitcher on the mound if it happens is a monumental choke), the Gashouse Gorillas will waltz to a WS title.

Good for them, two more to go this century and they will catch the Red Sox.

Painful for a lot of reasons. It felt like this was the Dodgers year after getting close for the last several years. They were the best team for much of the season. Kershaw is a good guy. When he was in his prime, he didn't have the team around him to win. Now that he does, he's lost it. Reminds me a bit of Jerry West. One of the greatest players in the NBA. In his prime, the Lakers lost over and over to the great Celtics team. Maybe the most dominant team in any era. Only after West was near the end of his career did he get a title against the Knicks. I don't think Kershaw will ever win one unless it is by chance when he is no longer relevant. In my opinion, as great as his stats, he is not a HOF player due to his postseason disasters which now border on the incredible. Roberts overplayed his hand trying to allow Kershaw to get some post season redemption. He was even talking about Kershaw before the game. Of course, if he pulled Kershaw and the Dodgers lost, a lot of folks would be howling about that. They are now the first team to lose in the first round when coming in with as many as 106 wins. They lost at home. Blew a three run lead. And were playing a team they should have swept. Brutal. Doesn't get much worse (unless maybe you are the Braves and lose 13-1).

Painful for a lot of reasons. It felt like this was the Dodgers year after getting close for the last several years. They were the best team for much of the season. Kershaw is a good guy. When he was in his prime, he didn't have the team around him to win. Now that he does, he's lost it. Reminds me a bit of Jerry West. One of the greatest players in the NBA. In his prime, the Lakers lost over and over to the great Celtics team. Maybe the most dominant team in any era. Only after West was near the end of his career did he get a title against the Knicks. I don't think Kershaw will ever win one unless it is by chance when he is no longer relevant. In my opinion, as great as his stats, he is not a HOF player due to his postseason disasters which now border on the incredible. Roberts overplayed his hand trying to allow Kershaw to get some post season redemption. He was even talking about Kershaw before the game. Of course, if he pulled Kershaw and the Dodgers lost, a lot of folks would be howling about that. They are now the first team to lose in the first round when coming in with as many as 106 wins. They lost at home. Blew a three run lead. And were playing a team they should have swept. Brutal. Doesn't get much worse (unless maybe you are the Braves and lose 13-1).

Welcome "Back to the Future". The time: Late 1940's & 50's. The place: Brooklyn, NY. The Team: The "Dodgers" (aka "The Bums"). WS Results: The best NL team looses again, but this time couldn't get of NL alive.

Not the kind of history worth repeating again, is it?

Who cares? Only Dodger fans, and "so it goes"...

The "Real Future"? Well, the Dodgers are still a great Team/ Franchise with a great core of prospects, youth and veterans under contract with few exceptions (e.g. Ryu).

So what will they do? They'll do very well and probably take the NL West again...The Playoffs? Who knows?

What is clear is that Baseball is "Entertainment" more than sports. The regular season games are played simply to determine playoff seeding. Therefore, team objectives should be to build the best playoff team at maximize profits, but make sure you make it in the MLB Tournament!

The MLB TV Plot: See which underdog team can knock off the BIG BAD teams and Teams. The exception is if you're a fan of one of those BIG BAD Teams (Dodgers, Yankees, etc.).

The REWARD: MLB & MLB Ownership maximizes there pocket book and world wide audience gets entertained. Yet, after the WS is over; you can hear in most of America say; "Hey Martha what time is SURVIVOR on CBS again?"

Well, we all know this already, yet I felt compelled to remind myself again.

Carlos

Welcome "Back to the Future". The time: Late 1940's & 50's. The place: Brooklyn, NY. The Team: The "Dodgers" (aka "The Bums"). WS Results: The best NL team looses again, but this time couldn't get of NL alive.

Not the kind of history worth repeating again, is it?

Who cares? Only Dodger fans, and "so it goes"...

The "Real Future"? Well, the Dodgers are still a great Team/ Franchise with a great core of prospects, youth and veterans under contract with few exceptions (e.g. Ryu).

So what will they do? They'll do very well and probably take the NL West again...The Playoffs? Who knows?

What is clear is that Baseball is "Entertainment" more than sports. The regular season games are played simply to determine playoff seeding. Therefore, team objectives should be to build the best playoff team at maximize profits, but make sure you make it in the MLB Tournament!

The MLB TV Plot: See which underdog team can knock off the BIG BAD teams and Teams. The exception is if you're a fan of one of those BIG BAD Teams (Dodgers, Yankees, etc.).

The REWARD: MLB & MLB Ownership maximizes there pocket book and world wide audience gets entertained. Yet, after the WS is over; you can hear in most of America say; "Hey Martha what time is SURVIVOR on CBS again?"

Well, we all know this already, yet I felt compelled to remind myself again.

Carlos

Well said...…………

America tunes in to see the underdog knock off the big dog, people were absolutely gleeful when the Giants knocked off the undefeated Patriots in 2008...……….yeah gee, isn't that just swell, good for Opie and the Giants.

Isn't it wonderful when a small market team like the Rays advance far in the playoffs; meanwhile, their fan base can fit in a clown car, but oh gee, what a swell story and the networks will bash us over the head with it "You know Joe, the Rays payroll is equal to what the Red Sox paid JD Martinez this year and they didn't even make the playoffs"...……..yeah, wow is that entertaining to watch a bunch of no name nobodies advance, so compelling...……….;)……….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back