2019 Baseball season (8 Viewers)

Kendrick gets the series MVP and well deserved. As a point of interest, well, to me anyways, is that my abode is located on land that used to belong to Walter Johnson's farm here in Germantown. No wonder the karma felt right tonight.:wink2: -- Al

Al...
congrats on the win...
you're a good fan...
you deserve it...

I couldn't have said it better Mike!

Congratulations you die hard fan Al!! {sm3}{sm3} My pops is going crazy too- this is perfect timing as he and my mom are moving into an assisted care facility during all of this so it has given him something to take his mind off all that.

Warmest regards and you'd better believe I'm pulling for the Nats in the Series

Your buddy
CC

Mike and Chris, thanks very much. It has been a real roller coaster as a baseball fan in DC. Like anything else worthwhile, the wait makes it sweeter. Chris, I'm glad to hear your dad is such a huge fan. I'll bet he is thrilled. It is a good day. -- Al

First the Blues, now the Expos; I wonder if it's too late to lay 50 large on the Lions winning the Super Bowl...……...can't wait for all the fraud politicians in DC getting their opportunity pictures/videos wearing Expos hats...…………...what a great look to go along with their mom jeans and rolled up button down shirts; you know, the regular guy look.

First the Blues, now the Expos; I wonder if it's too late to lay 50 large on the Lions winning the Super Bowl...……...can't wait for all the fraud politicians in DC getting their opportunity pictures/videos wearing Expos hats...…………...what a great look to go along with their mom jeans and rolled up button down shirts; you know, the regular guy look.
Oh, the bandwagon fans are in full bloom in DC. All of a sudden, EVERYONE loves the Nats. Sort of like when EVERYONE loved the Caps. I guess it's all part of winning, but most of these new fans will find something else to latch onto by Halloween.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Oh, the bandwagon fans are in full bloom in DC. All of a sudden, EVERYONE loves the Nats. Sort of like when EVERYONE loved the Caps. I guess it's all part of winning, but most of these new fans will find something else to latch onto by Halloween.:rolleyes2: -- Al

All it took for them to get to the WS was getting rid of Harper; who knew?

All it took for them to get to the WS was getting rid of Harper; who knew?

Interesting discussion point isn't it???

I'm hearing around here that Philly is talking to Dusty Baker about coming on board...Perhaps Nationals V 2.0 is in the making??

Lots of interesting talking points on Harper though- was he too expensive? Did he attract the talent that ultimately led them to where they are now?

Nats 1B Ryan Zimmerman was asked about the Harper connection in a post-game interview last night. His response was typical of him, all class. He said that Harper was one of the best players he'd ever played with, that the Nats would have loved to keep him, but that was the business part of the game, that you can't keep everyone. Credited Harper as one of the reasons that the Nats were where they now were. I am extremely happy that the Nats were able to win with Zimmerman being a major contributor after all his years here and all the disappointments the Nats had suffered. He has been a class act the whole time. -- Al

good news for the Astros...
Game 4 has been officially postponed due to rain...
this lets their rotation rest up...
they will start Grienke in Game 4 Thursday...
then JV in Game 5
and Cole in Games 6...

good news for the Astros...
Game 4 has been officially postponed due to rain...
this lets their rotation rest up...
they will start Grienke in Game 4 Thursday...
then JV in Game 5
and Cole in Games 6...
Which brings up the question...who goes if there is a Game 7? That leaves the Astros with Urquidy or Miley in the elimination game? Think it would be smarter to hedge the bet by starting Urquidy in Game 4 and lining up Greinke, Verlander, and Cole behind him (and all on full rest). Even if the Astros drop Game 4 they then have Greinke in 5 and Verlander back home for 6. If disaster strikes they then have Cole for 7. If the Astros win and don't need to go to 7, Cole is then lined up for the WS in Game 1. Maybe I'm reading this wrong and I realize the Astros want to finish the NYY's ASAP, but maybe they should rethink the pitching lineup a bit. Just my 2 cents. -- Al

Which brings up the question...who goes if there is a Game 7? That leaves the Astros with Urquidy or Miley in the elimination game? Think it would be smarter to hedge the bet by starting Urquidy in Game 4 and lining up Greinke, Verlander, and Cole behind him (and all on full rest). Even if the Astros drop Game 4 they then have Greinke in 5 and Verlander back home for 6. If disaster strikes they then have Cole for 7. If the Astros win and don't need to go to 7, Cole is then lined up for the WS in Game 1. Maybe I'm reading this wrong and I realize the Astros want to finish the NYY's ASAP, but maybe they should rethink the pitching lineup a bit. Just my 2 cents. -- Al

I thought the same thing; first off, Miley if I am not mistaken was left off the ALCS Astors roster.

That said, concede game 4, then line up Greinke, Verlander, Cole, but imagine the blowback if they lose game 4, 5 and 6 without Cole getting the ball as you are "saving" him for a potential game 7, the Astors manager would get roasted for that.

You're screwed either way; "Game 7, the Astors start some no name tomato can for all the marbles"...………..that's just as bad.

I say throw Greinke, Verlander and Cole out there and go for the throat and finish the Yankees off in 6 if it gets that far, it will be all hands on deck for game 7 then...…………………...

Couldn’t agree more with George and Al. This was the point I was making with the Rays, except this seems worse. Even if you’re down 3-2 going home, you’d have Verlander and Cole in full rest. I suppose he doesn’t want to let the Yankees back into the series when they’re smarting. You have to go with Greinke in one of the Yankee Stadium games but if you’re an Astros fan, you can’t be that confident.

The Yankees are going with Tanaka and his menu of meatball slop in game 4, then Paxton in game 5, Severino in game 6 and if it goes that far, who in game 7?

Are they going to wheel the corpse Sherman Klump out there on a dolley? Or are they going full bullpen game for game 7/Tanaka and Paxton in relief/all hands on deck?

Time will tell.

Al...George...

while I have enjoyed baseball since I was a kid...
you guys...(George...Al...Brad...Jason)...
have forgotten more about baseball than I will ever know...

a lot of the people you guys talk about...
games you guys talk about in the 70's...80's...90's...
I don't even know what or who you're talking about sometimes...^&grin
I ask questions all the time when I don't understand the why on something...
and you guys have always been cordial and politely indulged me...

I see advantages to both your strategies...
but I don't want to see Miley out there in any fashion...
period...
I have no faith in him anymore...
not sure he even has any faith in himself...

so 3 question please?

1)
there is an ALCS roster line up?
and it's not inter changeable like a daily regular season line up?
I didn't know that...is that right...

2)
and Miley was left off it?
I truthfully have not seen Miley's name on any version of a starting pitcher playoff rotation...
Urquiday was listed against TB as the Game 4 starter...
but was changed to JV...

Al...
I kind of feel I have to agree with George...
right or wrong...
I cannot subscribe to any theory of conceding Game 4...
I can't get on that page at all...
I want 2 wins as quick as I can get them...
regardless of who gets rest if they Astros win the ALCS...

one thing that really surprised me...
and I don't know if this is routine or because of the rain postponed game...
is that I thought there would somewhere be a day off traveling back to Houston...

3)
are 4 playoff games in a row where traveling is involved unusual?

the original schedule was to play Wednesday then Thursday in NY...
then travel to Houston...
take off Friday...
and then play Saturday then Sunday...

now it's scheduled to play Game 4 Thursday 7PM start in NY...
play Game 5 Friday 6PM start in NY...
then travel back to Houston that night after the game ends...
and get no days off...
where before they got a rest day on Friday...
then play Game 6 Saturday 7PM start in Houston...
and then play Game 7 Sunday 6:30PM start in Houston...

this screws both teams rotations...
eventually it won't matter to one team...the loser...
but to the winner it's a factor as they have to meet the Nats...

secondly...
the NYY's have drug both of these games out 4-5 hours each...
which means both teams won't arrive back in Houston til the early hours of the morning...

this kind of sucks...for both teams...

1)
there is an ALCS roster line up?
and it's not inter changeable like a daily regular season line up?
I didn't know that...is that right...…………………...For each series, whether it be ALDS, ALCS or WS, you declare a roster and you have to ride that roster out for that one series, you can add/drop players for the next series should you advance.

2)
and Miley was left off it?
I truthfully have not seen Miley's name on any version of a starting pitcher playoff rotation...
Urquiday was listed against TB as the Game 4 starter...
but was changed to JV...……………..From what I've read, he was left off the ALCS roster, as well he should be, he is a stiff.

Al...
I kind of feel I have to agree with George...
right or wrong...
I cannot subscribe to any theory of conceding Game 4...
I can't get on that page at all...
I want 2 wins as quick as I can get them...
regardless of who gets rest if they Astros win the ALCS...

one thing that really surprised me...
and I don't know if this is routine or because of the rain postponed game...
is that I thought there would somewhere be a day off traveling back to Houston...

3)
are 4 playoff games in a row where traveling is involved unusual?...…...……..the rain out screwed them, there is a day off in between games 2 and 3, then 5 and 6 for travel, but in the event of a rain out, the day off is out the window...…...…….the tickets are already printed for the next game, you can't ask folks "Hey, I know you paid for a ticket to game 6 on Saturday, but sorry, that game got pushed to Sunday"......……..

the original schedule was to play Wednesday then Thursday in NY...
then travel to Houston...
take off Friday...
and then play Saturday then Sunday...

now it's scheduled to play Game 4 Thursday 7PM start in NY...
play Game 5 Friday 6PM start in NY...
then travel back to Houston that night after the game ends...
and get no days off...
where before they got a rest day on Friday...
then play Game 6 Saturday 7PM start in Houston...
and then play Game 7 Sunday 6:30PM start in Houston...

this screws both teams rotations...
eventually it won't matter to one team...the loser...
but to the winner it's a factor as they have to meet the Nats...

secondly...
the NYY's have drug both of these games out 4-5 hours each...
which means both teams won't arrive back in Houston til the early hours of the morning...

this kind of sucks...for both teams...

And yes, no day off plus leaving NY late Friday night is going to be lousy for both teams, they will be gassed for Saturday, advantage Houston as they get to sleep in their own beds...………...

ty George...

that was quick and concise...
you do know your sports!
you are an encyclopedia of sport's knowledge...

thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back