2019 Baseball season (6 Viewers)

Couldn’t agree more with George and Al. This was the point I was making with the Rays, except this seems worse. Even if you’re down 3-2 going home, you’d have Verlander and Cole in full rest. I suppose he doesn’t want to let the Yankees back into the series when they’re smarting. You have to go with Greinke in one of the Yankee Stadium games but if you’re an Astros fan, you can’t be that confident.

For what it is worth, Greinke is not very good in the post-season.

In 13 career playoff games he is 3-6 with an ERA of 4.58.

His stats in this post-season are awful. He is 0-2 with an ERA of 9.62, giving up 12 hits, 5 of which were home runs.

ty George...

that was quick and concise...
you do know your sports!
you are an encyclopedia of sport's knowledge...

thank you!

Thanks Mike, I have a basic understanding of the sport, I don't have in depth knowledge as far as pitch types, defensive strategy, hitting approach...……….just the basics picked up by playing the sport from Little League to Babe Ruth League to High School to Legion ball to college to semi pro in my early 20's...………...

Mike, I agree that Houston wants to finish the series ASAP, win the last 2 games as soon as is practical. I do not condone conceding Game 4 in any way, shape, or form, I simply think that while having the advantage of a 1 game edge and a return home guarantee, it might be smarter to use the 'unsub' pitcher in Game 4 to allow proper rest and structure to the other Big 3 starters (but mainly JV and Cole) so that Houston would be in the best pitching shape possible in games 5,6, and 7. I know it is a conservative approach and is somewhat risky but it allows margin for error, ie., a Game 7 in Houston, with Cole on the mound, if it becomes necessary. If, for some reason, the current lineup fails to win the 2 games needed and a 7th game must be played, Houston will find itself having to patch together a pitching staff in desperation, with both JV and Cole working with no useful rest and even Greinke having only minimal rest. It's just my natural conservatism that is coming out. I understand the risks of going to a Game 7, but with Cole pitching, it is a risk worth taking. -- Al

For what it is worth, Greinke is not very good in the post-season.

In 13 career playoff games he is 3-6 with an ERA of 4.58.

His stats in this post-season are awful. He is 0-2 with an ERA of 9.62, giving up 12 hits, 5 of which were home runs.

I don't like his chances against Tanaka...

2019 post season Tanaka has been lights out...
11 innings...4 hits...1 run...2 BB...ERA of 0.82...

2019 regular season against the Astros at home he is almost as good...
5 innings...3 hits...1 run...1 BB...ERA of 1.80...

Las Vegas has the Yankees as a small chalk on the odds for both home games...

http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/las-vegas/

Mike, I agree that Houston wants to finish the series ASAP, win the last 2 games as soon as is practical. I do not condone conceding Game 4 in any way, shape, or form, I simply think that while having the advantage of a 1 game edge and a return home guarantee, it might be smarter to use the 'unsub' pitcher in Game 4 to allow proper rest and structure to the other Big 3 starters (but mainly JV and Cole) so that Houston would be in the best pitching shape possible in games 5,6, and 7. I know it is a conservative approach and is somewhat risky but it allows margin for error, ie., a Game 7 in Houston, with Cole on the mound, if it becomes necessary. If, for some reason, the current lineup fails to win the 2 games needed and a 7th game must be played, Houston will find itself having to patch together a pitching staff in desperation, with both JV and Cole working with no useful rest and even Greinke having only minimal rest. It's just my natural conservatism that is coming out. I understand the risks of going to a Game 7, but with Cole pitching, it is a risk worth taking. -- Al

Al...I see your point...and I kind of agree with it...but I think I would rather roll the dice with Grienke tomorrow...if they can somehow manage a win tomorrow...I feel real comfortable that JV or Cole can win one more game...Hinch has made his decision...I gotta trust him...

Hank Strom...the pitching coach must have had some input in this decision too...I'll know tomorrow right if they made the right decision...

I'll keep the defibrillator by my chair...^&grin

Listening to sports talk radio in the Bay Area today. The two hosts were discussing the whole rest vs. rust "issue" that the Nationals are facing. The final word was:

I wish the Giants had that problem right now.............^&grin

Listening to sports talk radio in the Bay Area today. The two hosts were discussing the whole rest vs. rust "issue" that the Nationals are facing. The final word was:

I wish the Giants had that problem right now.............^&grin
Indeed. It's also been a subject of discussion on the local Nats talk show. They showed 6 teams that had 6 or more days off until the WS started. The results were that 3 teams lost the WS and that 3 teams won the WS. BFD. All I care about is being there.:wink2: -- Al

Tonight will get colder; it will be in the high 40s. That may be a factor although probably not as much as tomorrow when it will be colder. I’ve sat through those kinds of games. Not a lot of fun; you drink a lot of hot cocoa or coffee. At any rate, I’m pretty sure the Yankees will win tonight. I just don’t see them going down 3-1.

Tonight will get colder; it will be in the high 40s. That may be a factor although probably not as much as tomorrow when it will be colder. I’ve sat through those kinds of games. Not a lot of fun; you drink a lot of hot cocoa or coffee. At any rate, I’m pretty sure the Yankees will win tonight. I just don’t see them going down 3-1.

Nope, they're not losing tonight...……….Greinke is already crapping himself, two walks and now the bases are loaded in the bottom of the first.

Good Christ is he awful in the playoffs.

AND...…………..he just walked in a run on four pitches.

Just pathetic.

Grienke looks like warm poo...
I guess I'm lucky...
only one run...
it had potential for a lot more...
he's not gonna last long tonight...

at least the Astros are getting wood on the bat tonight...

I can't figure out the strike zone with this umpire...
he's not consistent at all...
balls are strikes...strikes are balls...

Larry Rothschild is still the Yankees pitching coach; pretty sure he was Grant's pitching coach for the Army of the Potomac during the overland campaign in the Summer of 1864.

Larry Rothschild is still the Yankees pitching coach; pretty sure he was Grant's pitching coach for the Army of the Potomac during the overland campaign in the Summer of 1864.
Is he the one responsible for the curveball that Grant tried to throw at Cold Harbor? -- Al

Is he the one responsible for the curveball that Grant tried to throw at Cold Harbor? -- Al

Have to love Grant; after the Wilderness, Lee thought he'd do what all other Union commanders did after a battle...…...retreat back to Washington.

Nope.

Grant moved further south, forcing Lee to fight another battle.

At that point, Lee knew he was doomed.

That said; that charge at Cold Harbor...………..yikes...………..Grant regretted ordering that assault until the day he died.

when Pressly walked to the mound...
he had an ERA of 27.00 against the NYY's...
^&grin...^&grin...^&grin...

I may have to revise that prediction. People have been saying that the Yankees haven’t been hitting but I thought Houston pitching had more to do with that than Yankee bats. However, from what we’ve seen tonight it looks like the Yankee bats have gone cold.

Earl Weaver would love this Astors team tonight, two three run bombs...………………….

Astros are looking at 3-1 lead. Yankees have them right where they want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back