2019 Baseball season (4 Viewers)

About 2 hours ago I got an email inviting my 13 year old to the University of Virginia college baseball showcases this fall and spring 20 (he's 14 in January).

I'm utterly speechless right now. I enlisted in the army 4 days after I turned 17- about 3 weeks before I got any contact from any colleges about playing football. I don't regret it one single bit it's just exciting as a dad to see your kid get on the road to achieve their own dreams. When my daughter was going through the softball recruiting process last year (she plays at Wilkes U now), I got to attend her showcases at Pitt- Bradford and really enjoyed myself. She said I needed to dial it back a bit lol but I told her "Victoria- I never got this- I've waited 29 years to experience something like this so let me have today." She smiled and agreed.

Virginia won the college world series in 2015. I cannot even put in words how proud I am right now.

As excited as I am about this, there is a part of me that is utterly terrified to be that young with that kind of pressure on you to perform. I'm split on whether or not we as parents (collectively) are doing right by our kids as it seems these things just scoop up younger and younger athletes.

Sorry, there isn't a college baseball thread lol so I put it here to share with my friends.

CC

Tale of 2 Franchises last night:

New York:
Yankees fans taunted Zack Greinke as he warmed up in the bullpen with chants digging at Greinke’s battles with a social anxiety disorder and depression. Fans also leaned over the concrete barrier between the stands and the bullpen and shouted insults about Greinke’s mother.

Houston:
Astros players went to the top step of their dugout and tipped their caps and cheered as CC Sabathia exited the game as it might be his final MLB appearance.

New York:
Yankees fans taunted Zack Greinke as he warmed up in the bullpen with chants digging at Greinke’s battles with a social anxiety disorder and depression. Fans also leaned over the concrete barrier between the stands and the bullpen and shouted insults about Greinke’s mother.

Houston:
Astros players went to the top step of their dugout and tipped their caps and cheered as CC Sabathia exited the game as it might be his final MLB appearance.

Taunting someone who has anxiety and depression issues is a low as it gets, it's beyond pathetic, classless and bush league, disgusting is more like it.

His wife is a total smokeshow and he's a millionaire, so who's shitting who here.

that is a cheap seats shot...

but Houston Astro's fans are no bargain either...

https://people.com/sports/houston-astros-fan-arrested-slapping-new-york-yankees-fan-game/

I read some related articles that James Dinkens is a life long season ticket holder and has a habit of bullying even Astro's fans in his seating section...and this guy was a retired judge...for real!

his season tickets have been revoked and he was given a life long ban by the organization...

I hope the judge he sees busts his butt really good...

New York:

Houston:

Not equivalent. One is fans, the other players.

I’m not going to defend the behavior of a few fans, probably the Bleacher Creatures but the vast majority of New York fans (both Yankees and Mets fans) are good and knowledgeable fans so that bullshit crap elsewhere.

In my experience fans from city to city are not that much different: passionate and they have their share of idiots.

that is a cheap seats shot...

but Houston Astro's fans are no bargain either...

https://people.com/sports/houston-astros-fan-arrested-slapping-new-york-yankees-fan-game/

I read some related articles that James Dinkens is a life long season ticket holder and has a habit of bullying even Astro's fans in his seating section...and this guy was a retired judge...for real!

his season tickets have been revoked and he was given a life long ban by the organization...

I hope the judge he sees busts his butt really good...

Exactly. Every franchise has them. One of my most embarrassing moments as a fan came when I attended a game between the Yankees and the Blue Jays. I was sitting with some Canadian fans and when they played the Canadian national Anthem, some fans booed. It was humiliating and I felt I had to apologize to them, which I did. They were very gracious.

Not equivalent. One is fans, the other players.

I’m not going to defend the behavior of a few fans, probably the Bleacher Creatures but the vast majority of New York fans (both Yankees and Mets fans) are good and knowledgeable fans so that bullshit crap elsewhere.

In my experience fans from city to city are not that much different: passionate and they have their share of idiots.

Mike/Brad:

I definitely get it, fans of any team have a few bad apples.

A few years ago I went to an inter league game with some friends when the Red Sox were playing the Giants. A group of 4 Sox fans sat 2 rows in front of us. We we talked trash back and forth for few innings, most of it good natured with some of it being borderline insulting. In the 3rd inning the food server brought us some beers and said they were compliments of the Sox fans seated in front of us. A couple of innings later we returned the favor. The back and forth verbal barrage continued the whole game, but after the game ended as we all walked up the stadium steps we shook hands and had a good laugh as we left the stadium together.

-Jason

JV got tagged early early tonight...which he has a propensity to do...
especially home runs...he did this a lot this season...but not lately...

he has 23 postseason home runs in his career...
third-most all-time behind Andy Pettitte (31) and Clayton Kershaw (24)...

he seems to have settled down now...
lots of game left...
I'm hoping for a late rally...

well...
that sucked...
I really wanted to get this over with...
but maybe asking too much to sweep NY at their house...
maybe tomorrow night...

Paxton was TOUGH!

well...
that sucked...
I really wanted to get this over with...
but maybe asking too much to sweep NY at their house...
maybe tomorrow night...

Paxton was TOUGH!

Mike:

With game 5 less than 24 hours away in Houston, the Astros don't have much time to dwell on this loss. Maybe that is a good thing.

-Jason

Tough first inning but it turned into a fine pitcher's duel. Paxton just a little better tonight. Back to Houston and Cole. NY has a hard job ahead of it. -- Al

Mike:

With game 5 less than 24 hours away in Houston, the Astros don't have much time to dwell on this loss. Maybe that is a good thing.

-Jason

yea...maybe...

gonna be hard for NY to win 2 in Houston...I hope...^&grin

that's Game 6...right Jason?

It looks like both managers have made the right decision by saving their best pitchers for a possible game 7 as game 6 will be an opener or a bullpen game. This would appear to give NY the edge in game 6. However, based on past history of how bullpens actually perform in the post season, predictions can be risky.

Last edited:
It looks like both managers have made the right decision by saving their best pitchers for a possible game 7 as game 6 will be an opener or a bullpen game. This would appear to give NY the edge in game 6. However, based on past history of how bullpens actually perform in the post season, predictions can be risky.
I missed this. So Houston has decided to save Cole for a possible Game 7 after all? Smart move. -- Al

I missed this. So Houston has decided to save Cole for a possible Game 7 after all? Smart move. -- Al

I was looking on the MLB site for pitching probables and it was the TBD and after a little checking determined that Hinch and Boone had decided on Cole and Severino, respectively. During the regular season a team may send a pitcher ahead to the city in which they're going to play to get the maximum rest possible. Since this was impossible to do yesterday, giving them an extra day of rest in case of a game 7 should help them both.

Recovering from 3-1 deficit is rare but not unheard of in baseball (the last time in 2016 in the World Series) so I think the odds of it happening this year so soon again are not high; a little something to help Mike Miller :wink2:

I was looking on the MLB site for pitching probables and it was the TBD and after a little checking determined that Hinch and Boone had decided on Cole and Severino, respectively. During the regular season a team may send a pitcher ahead to the city in which they're going to play to get the maximum rest possible. Since this was impossible to do yesterday, giving them an extra day of rest in case of a game 7 should help them both.

Recovering from 3-1 deficit is rare but not unheard of in baseball (the last time in 2016 in the World Series) so I think the odds of it happening this year so soon again are not high; a little something to help Mike Miller :wink2:

Well not to get ahead of the situation, but a bullpen game for both teams is a 50/50 proposition, so it wouldn't shock me that it comes down to a game 7 and if that happens, granted Cole is going, but you just never know how a game 7 will turn out.

The Yankees extended the series thanks to two home runs that traveled a grant total of about 700 feet, that ballbag Lemahieu has a mug that looks like he belongs in an Archie's Comics, some stiff that did nothing until he got to NY, now he's another DiMaggio.

And speaking of stiffs, good God is Stanton a walking corpse. Imagine the Yankees are saddled with that contract...…………….no worries, they'll con someone into taking him in the offseason and the guy they get back will be a first ballot lock HOF candidate.

Well not to get ahead of the situation, but a bullpen game for both teams is a 50/50 proposition, so it wouldn't shock me that it comes down to a game 7 and if that happens, granted Cole is going, but you just never know how a game 7 will turn out.

I agree with that...hope home cooking is a factor...they are very good at home...

I agree with that...hope home cooking is a factor...they are very good at home...
I'd be happy, no, make that thrilled, if I had to take my chances in a Game 7 with Cole on the mound. The best in a game for all the marbles. Can't ask for a better shot than that. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back