2019 Baseball season (4 Viewers)

Ok, now I can say it:

Congrats Mike and Al for getting to the World Series.

An electric way to win!

the WS starts Tuesday Oct 22nd...

would the Astros start Cole...then JV...then Grienke?

wouldn't Verlander be fully rested by then?

Congratulations, Mike and also to the Astros.^&grin Absolutely terrific game and series. Like everyone else, couldn't believe the 9th and 10th innings but that's why you gotta love baseball. Would anyone believe me if I said that I called the end of this game? Sitting by myself, I predicted the NY HR and then said to myself, not to worry, Altuve would win it next inning anyway. Swear by Zeus. I mean, just how else could this game have ended? I LOVE THIS GAME! On to the WS. Can't wait to see the matchups...Scherzer/Cole...Strasburg/JV...Corbin/Greinke...it's going to be a great ride. Mike, make sure you check your Rx supplies. I have everything ready. See you in Houston on Tuesday (well, not in person, but certainly in spirit), and finally, good luck to the Astros and Nats. They are both already winners to me. ^&cool -- Al

Well, one thing is for sure, in about 10 days time, someone is going to be happy and someone not so happy. Yes, I know what you're all going to say but when you get there you have to win it.

Two things, actually. The season will be over and my daily watching of the games, my ritual -- our ritual -- and all that goes with it will be over. It will also mean that (for most of us) winter will be just around the corner, with all that signifies.

Well, one thing is for sure, in about 10 days time, someone is going to be happy and someone not so happy. Yes, I know what you're all going to say but when you get there you have to win it.

Two things, actually. The season will be over and my daily watching of the games, my ritual -- our ritual -- and all that goes with it will be over. It will also mean that (for most of us) winter will be just around the corner, with all that signifies.
It is the major reason I don't especially love the WS as it means baseball draws to a close for 5 months... a long 5 months.:wink2: And yes, I want the Nats to win and will be suitably thrilled if they manage to.^&grin -- Al

I don't bet, never have, so I don't understand the way odds are set, or what some of the odds mean. I see the Nats are huge underdogs and I read that the Nats are +180 and the Astros are -225 as far as the odds are concerned. What does that mean? -- Al

I don't bet, never have, so I don't understand the way odds are set, or what some of the odds mean. I see the Nats are huge underdogs and I read that the Nats are +180 and the Astros are -225 as far as the odds are concerned. What does that mean? -- Al

I'm with you. I have no idea what this means.

Since we're on betting, in this state, sports betting is legal. As a result, on sports radio, at least a third of the ads are for betting. I have never bet and think it's a total waste of money. At the end of each ad, they say, betting problem, call 1-800 etc. Talk about hypocrisy. Betting in my view is a scourge, like any disease.

In NY on WFAN, there was a morning show called Boomer and Carton, hosted by Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton. A very successful show. They each made a ton of money. Unfortunately, Carton liked to gamble and he lost millions. To get out from under his debt, he ran a Ponzi scheme. He was arrested and convicted and is now in jail. Boomer was his good friend. He lied to him and lied to his family. Boomer ceased to have anything to do with him and his wife divorced him. Who knows if he will ever see his kids again. He threw away his career and millions, I mean millions, for gambling. It's a sad story. On top of that he overcame many disabilities -- ADD and Tourette's -- to become successful and he threw it all away. I was never a big fan of his because I thought he crossed the line on taste too much but his fall was tragic, all due to gambling.

Al...

it's all based on $100...

if you bet $100 on the Nats...you win $180...

if you bet on the Astros...

you have to bet $225...
to win $100...

so the Astros are a favorite...

those are "opening odds"...

the money line will change as bookies get overloaded on one side...
and they will try to make the other side more attractive by lowering or raising the payout...

Al...

you have to bet $225...
to win $100...

and they will try to make the other side more attractive by lowering or raising the payout...
Thanks, Mike. Never understood the + or - aspect. Odds like 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 are more my speed. Neither of the + or - odds seem very attractive to me, certainly not enough payout to tempt my money out of me. Never understood the fascination of such risk. -- Al

Al...

you have to bet $225...
to win $100...

So, are you betting on the series? :wink2:

So, are you betting on the series? :wink2:

no Brad...
"my guy"...is booking it...
but I'm not betting on it...
I do bet on football though...
but to risk $225 on the Astros...
to win $100 seems like bad pay to me...

I don't know if you have seen or are following this story...
but Mattress Mac, a furniture salesman in Houston...
has placed a substantial bet (3.5 million) on the Astros in Las Vegas...
to win the WS paying +2.20...
it would pay out about 7.7 million if the Astros win...

it's a from of insurance...
as no insurance company would sell him a policy again for this..
to cover a promotion he had...
that if the Astros win it all...
he will refund all the store purchases for the time the promotion started...

his bet was made in the early stages of the playoffs...
when the odds on the Astros were better...
he has done this about 3 years in a row...

I hope he wins his bet....^&grin

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/...places-35-million-bet-astros-win-world-series

Jose Altuve is a freak of nature...
he boggles the mind...
at a minute 5' 6"s tall...and 165 lbs....
he hits well above what one would expect someone would with his small stature...

he had 31 HR's regular season this year...
and now has 5 HR's post season...
he missed about 25 regular season games due to injury...
so he probably would have had more than 31 HR's regular season...

it's always been amazing to me that he held several batting titles...
for such a little guy to have so much power is pretty crazy...

Yordan Alvarez (Houston's DH)...has been a complete bust in post season...
regular season...he played only 87 games...
but had 27 home runs and 78 RBI's...
he was crushing the ball...
I think he has 1 hit in his last 23 at bats currently...
now that's a slump!
Hinch finally pulled him last night and put in Diaz to DH...
the Astros offense has been terrible in the post season...

Yes, Altuve is an amazing player. They have many fantastic players, so many that they could afford Maldonado’s bat in the lineup as he is a fantastic catcher. There is no doubt that they are the best team.

Aside from the first game the Yankees never hit in this series. Obviously, the Astros had something to do with that.

Boone tried to put a good face on it but Judge was honest and I’m sure summarized how most Yankee fans feel: the season was a failure. Expectations are always high over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back