2019 Baseball season (1 Viewer)

Mike, I'm really hoping that Stras is just after a raise for services rendered and that he wants that raise from the Nats, say maybe another $50 mil ({eek3}) and that he wants to stay in DC. I know, there is that word again, hope. The opt-out was expected. One thing for sure, the WS title is going to cost the Lerner's some BIG bucks just to try and keep Rendon and Stras. The Nats have already declined the $4 million option on 1B Adams. So it begins. As for the ears, no one, as far as I know, has ever witnessed 'Dumbo' Stras flying around DC.:wink2: -- Al
Turns out the Nats were busy yesterday, despite the distractions of the Victory parade. The Nats also declined the $18 mil option on Ryan Zimmerman and the $9 mil option on Gomes. They did pick up the option on the closer, Doolittle and RF Eaton. I would expect the Nats to try and resign Zimmerman as a FA at a much lower price, but not Gomes. It never stops. :rolleyes2: -- Al

Al...that seems peculiar...are they gutting the payroll and starting over to some degree?
Mike, most of these moves were expected business moves. Several of the Nats were FA eligible or on 1-year contracts so all the activity was inevitable whether they had won the WS or failed to make the playoffs. There will be several surprises before all is said and done but Rendon and Stras are Job One for the Lerners. -- Al

I see Jake Arrieta has exercised the $20 mil option in his contract to remain with the Phillies in 2020. Considering the trend in Arrieta's numbers, the Phillies might be regretting that particular contract. Since winning 22 games and the Cy Young in 2015, Arrieta's win total has fallen every year since (18, 14, 10, and 8), while his ERA has risen every year since (3.10, 3.53, 3.96, 4.64). These are very disturbing trends. One wonders if Arrieta has anything left in the tank. -- Al

The Padres are said to be interested in Strasburg, but then again, who wouldn’t be.

The Padres are said to be interested in Strasburg, but then again, who wouldn’t be.
That's the fly in the ointment concerning Stras. SD is home for him. Sure hope he's grown accustomed to DC and won't want to pull up stakes.:wink2: -- Al

That's the fly in the ointment concerning Stras. SD is home for him. Sure hope he's grown accustomed to DC and won't want to pull up stakes.:wink2: -- Al

With what’s going on in California climate-wise, you have to seriously think about that choice. The East Coast seems a lot safer.

I know it doesn't matter when you are talking about this type of money, but $20.25 mil in state income taxes on a $150 mil contract in Cali, about $12 mil in taxes in DC.

I know it doesn't matter when you are talking about this type of money, but $20.25 mil in state income taxes on a $150 mil contract in Cali, about $12 mil in taxes in DC.
I hope Strasburg knows this.:wink2:^&grin -- Al

Good point! Florida, Texas, Tennessee and Washington (states) are among the 9 states that don’t tax earned income.

There are rumors in the Bay Area that Bumgarner might be going to Atlanta despite the Giant's qualifying offer.

Very few players accept qualifying offers. Such offers are usually made to preserve the right to compensation.

Joe Espada, Gabe Kapler and Matt Quatraro appear to be the 3 finalists for the Giants managing job.

Joe Espada, Gabe Kapler and Matt Quatraro appear to be the 3 finalists for the Giants managing job.

Other than the middle guy who was the teacher on Welcome back Kotter, I wouldn't know the two guys on either end if I fell over them.

Other than the middle guy who was the teacher on Welcome back Kotter, I wouldn't know the two guys on either end if I fell over them.

I forgot to say that this is per Jon Heyman. I never heard of Quatraro and I think Espada was an Astros coach. Why they would look at Kapler is beyond me. I think Espada is highly regarded.

I forgot to say that this is per Jon Heyman. I never heard of Quatraro and I think Espada was an Astros coach. Why they would look at Kapler is beyond me. I think Espada is highly regarded.

Farhan Zaidi, President of Baseball Operations for the Giants has always liked Kapler. Back in 2015 when Zaidi was with the Dodgers he lobbied for Kapler over Dave Roberts when that managerial position was open.

Why he likes Kapler is beyond me. He did a terrible job managing a decent Phillies team, I can’t image what he would do with the Giants and their current mediocre roster.

Sounds like the Astros are in deep trouble. Hopefully MLB brings down the hammer. Interested to see if MLB handle this better than the NFL did with the Pats.

Sounds like the Astros are in deep trouble. Hopefully MLB brings down the hammer. Interested to see if MLB handle this better than the NFL did with the Pats.

They are now reportedly looking at the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

Maybe MLB can hire Ted Wells and spend 5 million so he can tell them "Well I found no smoking gun, no real evidence of anything, but I think their manager was 'generally aware' that something was going on."...….maybe death firing squad then, would that be a good punishment?

How about poison darts at 40 paces.

Handing Brady a 4 game suspension to start the year-Handing him the Lombardi to finish it...……...that worked out well for me and the rest of the Patriots fans out there.

But hey, I digress...…………….let's talk about real cheating that affected the outcome of games with sign stealing vs underinflated footballs...………………………(remember; supposedly underinflated)…………….

There I go digressing again.

Gee, sorry...………………………..

Here's an idea; vacate that 2017 WS win and give it to the Dodgers...…….probably the only way they are ever going to actually win a WS...……….I can see it now, they hand the WS trophy to Kershaw, who then throws it to Dave Roberts and it gets hit out of the park for a three run home run...………………….

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back