2019 Baseball season (4 Viewers)

I think Rendon is much happier with the hardware he got aka a Championship as opposed to little MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^&grin
I suppose he'll just have to be. He'll cash in big time, even without the MVP. I just hope he stays in DC. -- Al

I suppose he'll just have to be. He'll cash in big time, even without the MVP. I just hope he stays in DC. -- Al

The Nats are looking at Donaldson, as a fallback. Since the trend on these big free agents is not to sign until spring training starts, you have to wonder how long the Nats will wait before they move on.

Maybe MLB can hire Ted Wells and spend 5 million so he can tell them "Well I found no smoking gun, no real evidence of anything, but I think their manager was 'generally aware' that something was going on."...….maybe death firing squad then, would that be a good punishment?

How about poison darts at 40 paces.

Handing Brady a 4 game suspension to start the year-Handing him the Lombardi to finish it...……...that worked out well for me and the rest of the Patriots fans out there.

But hey, I digress...…………….let's talk about real cheating that affected the outcome of games with sign stealing vs underinflated footballs...………………………(remember; supposedly underinflated)…………….

There I go digressing again.

Gee, sorry...………………………..

Here's an idea; vacate that 2017 WS win and give it to the Dodgers...…….probably the only way they are ever going to actually win a WS...……….I can see it now, they hand the WS trophy to Kershaw, who then throws it to Dave Roberts and it gets hit out of the park for a three run home run...………………….

Or they could just punish the folks caught red handed cheating. This is not just gamesmanship but a sophisticated, premeditated system that the Astros used to gain a substantial competitive advantage. So those involved should be banned. Like Belichick should have been banned years ago for a similar and ongoing pattern of conduct. Pretty simple. If you cheat and get caught, there should be consequences. Sounds like the Red Sox are caught up in this as well. Funny how those teams that have cheated came out on top.

Last edited:
Ah, the beauty of the long-term contract. From CNN:

It's July 1, which for New York Mets fans means it's Bobby Bonilla Day.
The former slugger retired in 2001 with the St. Louis Cardinals, but he has been collecting a check of nearly $1.2 million from the Mets every year on July 1 for almost a decade.
The deal is part of a contract negotiated by Bonilla's agent Dennis Gilbert, which will pay Bonilla $1,193,248.20 every year until 2035. Bonilla, a former All-Star who last played with the Mets in 1999, will be 72 when his contract with the team expires.

Ah, the beauty of the long-term contract. From CNN:

It's July 1, which for New York Mets fans means it's Bobby Bonilla Day.
The former slugger retired in 2001 with the St. Louis Cardinals, but he has been collecting a checkof nearly $1.2 million from the Mets every year on July 1 for almost a decade.
The deal is part of a contract negotiated by Bonilla's agent Dennis Gilbert, which will pay Bonilla $1,193,248.20 every year until 2035. Bonilla, a former All-Star who last played with the Mets in 1999, will be 72 when his contract with the team expires.

I want that contract, that Agent should get some kind of award. Just incredible.
TD

I want that contract, that Agent should get some kind of award. Just incredible.
TD

I had forgotten about this, but when you go back and read it, well, the Mets got the use of money they thought was worth more to them at the time, so now they are basically paying off a loan financed at 8% interest. Bonilla received a pension out of his last contract. When you read about it and all the details, it is really not a bad deal either way time value of money wise. It just so happens that money got cheaper over the years so Bonilla is making out on the return side and it literally is a pension. Likewise Bobby could have taken the money up front and invested it on his own and made a larger return. Long story short, it is not as incredible as it seems via headlines, but it certainly proved to be a very good deal for Bobby. It provided an pro athlete financial security by creating a savings pension. He basically created his own 401k by contributing all of his earnings to an 8% annuity. Good for him.

TD

I had forgotten about this, but when you go back and read it, well, the Mets got the use of money they thought was worth more to them at the time, so now they are basically paying off a loan financed at 8% interest. Bonilla received a pension out of his last contract. When you read about it and all the details, it is really not a bad deal either way time value of money wise. It just so happens that money got cheaper over the years so Bonilla is making out on the return side and it literally is a pension. Likewise Bobby could have taken the money up front and invested it on his own and made a larger return. Long story short, it is not as incredible as it seems via headlines, but it certainly proved to be a very good deal for Bobby. It provided an pro athlete financial security by creating a savings pension. He basically created his own 401k by contributing all of his earnings to an 8% annuity. Good for him.

TD

Tom:

Spoken like a true accountant. ^&grin

-Jason

I see more and more MLB players being interviewed and saying they are considering not playing based on the “pro rated” salaries along with the dangers of The Vid.

While I understand they have every right to speak their mind, they need to realize that there are millions of essential workers who have persevered through this pandemic at minimum wage, desperate to feed their families.

As always, it is very difficult to feel sorry for millionaires whose job is to play a game no matter what the circumstances.

I see more and more MLB players being interviewed and saying they are considering not playing based on the “pro rated” salaries along with the dangers of The Vid.

While I understand they have every right to speak their mind, they need to realize that there are millions of essential workers who have persevered through this pandemic at minimum wage, desperate to feed their families.

As always, it is very difficult to feel sorry for millionaires whose job is to play a game no matter what the circumstances.

I wonder how much they get paid if they decide not to play?

I think for a lot of them it's worrying about bringing it home to their families.I can't really fault them for that. I've been working since the beginning but believe me if I didn't have to I wouldn't be.
Mark

I wonder how much they get paid if they decide not to play?

So I ran my mouth about players opting out and sure enough, Buster Posey of the Giants announced yesterday that he is not going to play in order to take care of his newly adopted twin daughters that were born prematurely.

With that new information, I want to amend my post.

When a player on a team that I don’t like (or a rival to the Giants) says he isn’t playing because of the pandemic he is a coward. When a Giant does it he is a hero. ^&grin

they have gone to beating on trash cans to steroid abuse...

Attachments

• 73095014_2275947552532176_381356906490363904_o.jpg
    73095014_2275947552532176_381356906490363904_o.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 114
I think for a lot of them it's worrying about bringing it home to their families.I can't really fault them for that. I've been working since the beginning but believe me if I didn't have to I wouldn't be.
Mark

Mark:

A huge tip of the cap to you and your dedication.

It is so easy to forget the sacrifices of the “everyday people” who have continued to work throughout the dangers of this pandemic. We all owe a huge debt to you and the countless others who have refused to quit.

-Jason

Yes.It's been hard as I don't work in a climate control area.So we had to make an an agreement that we didn't have to wear the masks if we are in our own areas which is good for me as I don't have anyone around me.I just can't breathe right with it on.I have emphysema.
Mark

I am not knocking the Dodgers for signing Betts to a $360 mil contract, after all the Giants were able to go on their recent World Series run thanks to a top 3 payroll.

On the other hand, within the next 6 years LA will be paying a player in his mid-30’s $27 mill a season.

I am not knocking the Dodgers for signing Betts to a $360 mil contract, after all the Giants were able to go on their recent World Series run thanks to a top 3 payroll.

On the other hand, within the next 6 years LA will be paying a player in his mid-30’s $27 mill a season.

The Red Sox offered him 10/300, his agent declined, saying he wants to test the free agent waters, also mentioned he's from Atlanta and would like to play for a warm weather team like the Braves, apparently here in Boston it's too cold in April when it's 60 degrees out.

They he gets traded and instead of testing the waters like he claims he was going to, he signs this contract.

Who cam blame him, you can buy a lot more with 360 million than you can with 300 million.

The back end of that contract is being to be wonderful.

But if the Dodgers win one or two WS titles, who cares...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back