2019 Baseball season (5 Viewers)

One positive for this odd season had been the temporary end of all the fan safety issues in regard to batted balls, all the new netting being installed, and so on. Well, all that went bye-bye last night as there was a fan fatality in LA last night when a home run came down and knocked the head off of one of the cardboard cutout fans in the bleachers. An investigation is being held to determine if the accident could have been prevented and who is ultimately responsible for the safety of the cardboard cutout fans, because, well, you know MLB can't afford any problems from the SPCCF society. -- Al

My cousin texted me earlier today; "Have you been watching the Red Sox?"...................
my reply "I watched a couple of innings of the 'home opener' Friday night, that's it".........…
his reply "They won that game, got smoked yesterday and are getting shelled today too".......
my reply "If they can't beat the AAA LET'S GO O'S!!, then don't bother wasting your time."

People can say and think whatever they want, but with this virus spinning out of control, it's beyond idiotic to be playing any sort of professional sports at this stage, all it's going to take is an older manager/coach to catch the virus and pass away, or a prominent player to get it and die from it.

Risking your life to play a sport is fools courage.

I have to say I am on the other side of the last few posts, have I missed baseball, yes, but again, for me, kneeling for the National Anthem is a death knell. I don't care whether they play or not. I enjoy sports for entertainment, not a history lesson or a statement on "social justice". And furthermore, if they came up with a different tact than kneeling for the National Anthem, I think they might get a better result. How about a moment of silence or a moment of remembrance or a moment of reflection. Instead, I don't care, I find kneeling before our National Anthem disrespectful and I am not alone. Polls on this subject are pretty clear. There is not a middle ground.

From a financial perspective, they would have been better off not playing. Numbers don't lie. Again, we are thoroughly enjoying life without sports. There is so much more to read, watch and do, it has been enlightening.

TD

I agree with you 100% on the National Anthem. When players started kneeling in the NFL, I tuned out. But I came to realize that most of these athletes have no clue what they are doing. If it is in their interest to stand during the National Anthem, then they will stand. If it is in their interest to kneel, then they will kneel. They don't give a fig. Their only objective is to not be singled out by the media mob. And who could really blame them? They show up to play a game and find out they are at the center of a cultural war they don't understand. So who really cares what they do? I came to the conclusion to watch the games or not as I see fit and tune out the meaningless noise.

I enjoy watching the games but as far as the legitimacy of the season goes I am still undecided.

If the Giants somehow make a run in the playoffs (or even win the World Series) then this was a real MLB season, if the Giants do as poorly as is predicted then this season is a sham and should never be allowed in the record books. ^&grin

I enjoy watching the games but as far as the legitimacy of the season goes I am still undecided.

If the Giants somehow make a run in the playoffs (or even win the World Series) then this was a real MLB season, if the Giants do as poorly as is predicted then this season is a sham and should never be allowed in the record books. ^&grin

Jason...hahaha...spoken like a true fan!

Just about sums up my feelings regarding the Nats. I mean, if they bomb out defending their WS title, who cares, as it isn't a real season, right? Self-delusion can be a wonderful friend and comfort.:wink2::rolleyes2:{sm3} -- Al

The Giants already guaranteed failure by hiring Gabe Kapler.

Prost!
Brad

[FONT=&quot]Eight more players and two coaches have tested positive on the Marlins bringing the total number of cases to 14 so their opener in Miami has been postponed. The team has remained in Philadelphia.

It’s entirely possible that the season could be cancelled. [/FONT]

Eight more players and two coaches have tested positive on the Marlins bringing the total number of cases to 14 so their opener in Miami has been postponed. The team has remained in Philadelphia.

It’s entirely possible that the season could be cancelled.
It doesn't look good. It was a 'wing and a prayer' trying to get any part of the season in with the virus still uncontrolled. -- Al

My cousin texted me earlier today; "Have you been watching the Red Sox?"...................
my reply "I watched a couple of innings of the 'home opener' Friday night, that's it".........…
his reply "They won that game, got smoked yesterday and are getting shelled today too".......
my reply "If they can't beat the AAA LET'S GO O'S!!, then don't bother wasting your time."

People can say and think whatever they want, but with this virus spinning out of control, it's beyond idiotic to be playing any sort of professional sports at this stage, all it's going to take is an older manager/coach to catch the virus and pass away, or a prominent player to get it and die from it.

Risking your life to play a sport is fools courage.

Recent headline from the Babylon Bee (satirical newspaper ala The Onion):

"Orioles Sign Dr Fauci to Improve Bullpen" :) :) :)

My cousin is at it again today with the texts.

He asks me "who are Gosich and Hadley?"
Me; "no effing clue"
He says "They are the two guys pitching for the Red Sox today"
Me "Never heard of either of those two tomato cans"

It's staggering to me that a whopping two years ago, the Red Sox were the best team in MLB wire to wire and won the World Series, now they have two tomato cans pitching today who really should be doing contactless delivery asking if you want fries with that.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

On the bright side, considering I've been a fan since around 1966 or so and never thought in my lifetime after 67, 72, 74, 75, 78, 86 and 03 that they'd win ONE WS, nevermind FOUR, I guess I'll take the good...…………...four WS titles...………..with the bad...…………..a total dumpster fire of a team.

When is the trading deadline anyway, I'd clean house, salt the field and start over.

Just saw the headline; two games cancelled due to COVID, Phillies and Marlins having issues among the players.

Gee, starting a professional sports league during a pandemic; what could go wrong?

Just a boneheaded idea and baseball is not a contact sport, best of luck with basketball, hockey and football.

Just shut them alll down and reboot in the Spring of 2021..............if they are lucky, more like the Fall of 2021.

Live sports restarting should have been a reward for us successfully beating back the Coronavirus, but because we are a country of having your cake and eating it too, here we are.

I think basketball and hockey may be able to pull it off because they’re playing in bubbles. MLB wanted a bubble but the players rejected it. If baseball can’t do it, I can’t see how the NFL will.

Nats players have voted as a team to request that the weekend series in Miami not be played in Miami. It is not a demand, but a request. They don't want to go to virus central. MLB, it's your move. -- Al

Nats players have voted as a team to request that the weekend series in Miami not be played in Miami. It is not a demand, but a request. They don't want to go to virus central. MLB, it's your move. -- Al

An update:

Miami's games through Sunday have been postponed.

The Phillies-Yankees series (2 in Philly, 2 in NYC) through Thursday have been postponed as well. The Yankees will play the Orioles instead.

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-games-postponed-orioles-to-play-yankees

Just saw the headline; two games cancelled due to COVID, Phillies and Marlins having issues among the players.

Gee, starting a professional sports league during a pandemic; what could go wrong?

Just a boneheaded idea and baseball is not a contact sport, best of luck with basketball, hockey and football.

Just shut them alll down and reboot in the Spring of 2021..............if they are lucky, more like the Fall of 2021.

I was hoping for the best but if this is already starting so early in the short season it might mean they have to call it off soon. My guess is someone on just about every team will eventually have it. And then what?

The way the Nats are playing, maybe postponing the weekend series against Miami isn't the worst thing. Just fewer chances to add to the loss column.:rolleyes2: -- Al

I was hoping for the best but if this is already starting so early in the short season it might mean they have to call it off soon. My guess is someone on just about every team will eventually have it. And then what?

There were always going to be cases, that was inevitable, and it’s going to be a day by day approach. However, there is no reason to cancel it now. Aside from the Marlins situation, the number of cases are presently manageable.

My approach is to enjoy each game because you never know if it might be the last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back