2019 Baseball season (8 Viewers)

A little payback for 17 although Kelly wasn’t on the team. Probably Manfred will step in and warn the Western Division teams in both leagues.

cheated or not...purposely throwing at somebody...that's dangerous...I can't condone it...somebody is gonna get hurt...it's just wrong...

Not saying I agree with this but CBS Sports approved of Kelly:

I'm definitely not a fan of chucking 96 MPH fastballs up around a guy's head, even if he plays for the most-hated team in the league. Not something to sign off on. But the simple fact is we'd have one less thing to talk about this morning if Kelly struck Correa out and just walked back to the dugout silently like a scholarly gentleman. When hate is injected into sports it heightens emotions and makes for better entertainment, even when that entertainment comes in the form of a grown man chirping and making faces at another like he's 14 years old. Sports need heels, too.
So I'm gonna use this space to thank Joe Kelly for his service last night. Not only did he remind us not to forget about hating the Astros, but he provided a few laughs, some water cooler fodder and the first iconic moment of the 2020 MLB season. Hero.

Perhaps the point he’s trying to make is that talking about baseball is better than talking about how the pandemic affects baseball.

Brad...
whoever wrote that is pretty demented...

I have no idea who he is...
but he's irresponsible and he shouldn't have the ear of the public...
if he's a journalist...he should be accountable for saying this...
he probably enjoys watching the violent protests on tv every night...
bet he thinks it's entertaining to watch a person get knocked upside the head with a concrete brick or a baton...
gives him something to talk about around the water cooler the next day...
if you think about it for a bit...it's pretty sadistic...

to actually applaud Joe Kelly for doing this...
that's a poor commentary on this CBS employee as a human being
if he needs this type of entertainment to help him in his daily conversations...
which he refers to in his post as providing a few laughs...
he's a sad individual...
totally out of line with his applauding comments...
news media personnel have gotten fired for making less stupid comments...

this just smacks of "bounty gate" to me...
it may even be organized from management on down...who knows?
"lets pop an Astos player in the head...that will teach them to cheat"...

I am willing to bet that cheating is more prevalent in MLB than I know...
pine tar...doctored balls...corked bats...etc...
head hunting might have been acceptable years ago in "old school" baseball...
but it doesn't fly anymore...

I'm an Astro's fan...
I know they cheated...
nobody is denying that...
that doesn't give an individual the right to hurt them...

I don't hate or even dislike any MLB organization or player enough to condone being head hunted with baseballs hurled at over 90 mph at their heads...

the funny face that Kelly made after he struck out Correa...thats okay...
a funny look and a comment won't send you to the hospital or end your career...
but to purposely throw at a player is way out of line...
and this is not the first time it has happened...

even in preseason...
games that mean nothing...
they were getting smacked......

the Astros had been hit by pitches 7 times in a 5 game span in spring training...
the most in MLB and a significant increase from last year...

somebody is gonna get hurt...
somebody is gonna get sued...
MLB really needs another scandal to help it's image...

Mike, it’s Pete Blackburn who sends out the daily CBS Sports email.

hahaha...

Brad...

I actually thought his name might be "Hero"....

at the end of the post it says "Hero"...

I guess he means that Joe Kelly is his personal hero...

which now makes me dislike him even more...^&grin

It was a dumb statement that’s for sure.

Kelly received an eight game suspension. In a 60 game season that seems a little harsh. It will probably be reduced on appeal.

It was a dumb statement that’s for sure.

Kelly received an eight game suspension. In a 60 game season that seems a little harsh. It will probably be reduced on appeal.

That's idiotic, that works out to a 22 game suspension in a 162 game season.

.Knowing Kelly like I do as he pitched here for a few seasons, he's prone to fits of wildness where he literally has no clue where the ball is going.

The pitch he whistled behind Bregman was intentional, not sure about the other ones as again, he's prone to bouts of being wild.

That said; this idiotic "code' in baseball is well past it's prime, drilling a guy because his team cheated is as dumb as it gets.

Headhunting has no place in the game; drill a guy in the rear end, up and in is super dangerous and can end a guys career.

Or worse.

There is no crying in baseball. Somewhere the ghost of Ty Cobb is laughing his backside off at the hue and cry. When he came sliding in with his metal spikes raised he was out for blood. The players could take care of these things on their own. Now there are suspensions, appeals, rule changes, video reviews, the salty tears of outraged fans. Exhausting. There should be a team of lawyers in attendance.

There is no crying in baseball. Somewhere the ghost of Ty Cobb is laughing his backside off at the hue and cry. When he came sliding in with his metal spikes raised he was out for blood. The players could take care of these things on their own. Now there are suspensions, appeals, rule changes, video reviews, the salty tears of outraged fans. Exhausting. There should be a team of lawyers in attendance.
LOL. Cobb is rolling over. He was, by all accounts, the fiercest competitor that baseball has ever produced. Legend has it that he used to sit in the dugout and make a visible production out of sharpening his spikes with a file in full view of the other team. Cobb made intimidating use of the spike-high slide. And I doubt that he would have been unduly disturbed by any complaints from the other team. :wink2: -- Al

That's idiotic, that works out to a 22 game suspension in a 162 game season.

.Knowing Kelly like I do as he pitched here for a few seasons, he's prone to fits of wildness where he literally has no clue where the ball is going.

The pitch he whistled behind Bregman was intentional, not sure about the other ones as again, he's prone to bouts of being wild.

That said; this idiotic "code' in baseball is well past it's prime, drilling a guy because his team cheated is as dumb as it gets.

Headhunting has no place in the game; drill a guy in the rear end, up and in is super dangerous and can end a guys career.

Or worse.

I watched the tape that Jomboy showed on Twitter and Kelly looked wild, couldn’t locate his pitches. My theory is that after awhile he said, screw it, I’m going to be a bad boy.

Got my first taste of the new extra inning rule in last nights Nats/Blue Jay game and I didn't hate it. Sure, it's not traditional in any way, but it does seem appropriate for the 2020 season. Nats and Jays went to the 10th tied 0-0 in what had been a beautifully pitched game from both starters and bull pens. The 'we can't hit' Nats managed to load the bases with no out in the 10th and still almost blew it. Got down to bases loaded, 2 out, before a scratch hit and an incredibly close play at 2nd, led to a 1-0 lead. Then a down the right field line triple cleared the bases and the Nats held on for the 4-0 win in 10. I found the rather quick end after 3+ hours of baseball to be perfect for my attention span. Now to see if I feel the same when the Nats blow a game in the 10th.:rolleyes2: -- Al

LOL. Cobb is rolling over. He was, by all accounts, the fiercest competitor that baseball has ever produced. Legend has it that he used to sit in the dugout and make a visible production out of sharpening his spikes with a file in full view of the other team. Cobb made intimidating use of the spike-high slide. And I doubt that he would have been unduly disturbed by any complaints from the other team. :wink2: -- Al

I'm old enough to remember guys like Conrad Dobler in the NFL who would gouge his thumb in an opponent's eye or Deacon Jones with his famous crunching head slap. Or Pete Rose barreling for home and knocking any catcher blocking the plate into the stands. Dave "the Hammer" Schultz in the NHL who spent most of his career in the box. Those guys were tough as nails in the good old days.

Got my first taste of the new extra inning rule in last nights Nats/Blue Jay game and I didn't hate it. Sure, it's not traditional in any way, but it does seem appropriate for the 2020 season. Nats and Jays went to the 10th tied 0-0 in what had been a beautifully pitched game from both starters and bull pens. The 'we can't hit' Nats managed to load the bases with no out in the 10th and still almost blew it. Got down to bases loaded, 2 out, before a scratch hit and an incredibly close play at 2nd, led to a 1-0 lead. Then a down the right field line triple cleared the bases and the Nats held on for the 4-0 win in 10. I found the rather quick end after 3+ hours of baseball to be perfect for my attention span. Now to see if I feel the same when the Nats blow a game in the 10th.:rolleyes2: -- Al

When I watched it on Opening Day in the game between the As and the Angels, I didn’t hate it either. Sort of reminds me of how overtime is played in college football.

I'm old enough to remember guys like Conrad Dobler in the NFL who would gouge his thumb in an opponent's eye or Deacon Jones with his famous crunching head slap. Or Pete Rose barreling for home and knocking any catcher blocking the plate into the stands. Dave "the Hammer" Schultz in the NHL who spent most of his career in the box. Those guys were tough as nails in the good old days.

yea...in the good old days...those tough guys probably contributed to more than their fair share of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy...causing thinking and memory disorders...memory loss...confusion...impaired judgment...and eventually progressive dementia...basically destroying the long term health of their targets...things that the leagues are trying to avoid to some degree today...

Yesterday John McNamara passed away at the age of 88.

He was the skipper of the 1986 Red Sox team that lost the WS to the Mets.

A reporter interviewed John's wife, she told him "John never really got over losing that series to the Mets."

He's not the only one.

She went on to say Clemens 100% asked out of game six, Clemens claims he was pulled and did not want to come out.

Reading about it dredged up old memories and opened old wounds; I belong to a Boston sports fan forum and there is a lengthy thread going now about the 1986 World Series, everything from how Tom Seaver being injured cost them a quality start in game 4 to how McNamara should have went with Clemens in game 4 and Hurst in game 5 to go for the throat to how he should have pinch hit Don Baylor for Clemens and not Mike Greenwell to he should have gone with a rested Oil Can Boyd vs a cooked Bruce Hurst in game 7 to he should have put Dave Stapleton in as a defensive replacement for Buckner in game 6.

If its and buts were candies and nuts.......................regardless of all that; up TWO runs with TWO outs and NO ONE on base in the 10th inning...................if they played that inning 100 times, they close out the Mets NINETY NINE TIMES and win their first WS title in 68 years.

And my grandfather and my uncle Peter would have seen it, neither were alive in 2004.

And yeah, the Mets came back, it's not over until the final out, blah, blah, blah, but give me a break, a colossal gag job if ever there was one, a true example of the Mets did not win the game, the Red Sox lost it.

And yeah sure, that was only game 6, but it was over after that.

O-V-E-R.

That loss and the SB loss to the ****ing Giants that ruined the Patriots perfect season are two losses I will never, ever get over.

I cannot and refuse to watch highlights or replays of either game.

And Vince Scully calling that winning run in game six "Little roller up along the bag.........AND IT GETS BY BUCKNER, WHOEVER IT WAS SCORES AND THE METS WIN IT!"

I think he literally **** his pants.

I was at a house party for that game, about 20 people, we all had our jackets on and were standing around the TV watching, we were going to stampede out of the house down to the ballpark and celebrate; when the winning run scored, we all silently slithered out of his house, off to our cars and home we all went, no one said a single word.

The Red Sox played the Mets in a home and home series the past few nights, I'm surprised there were not 4,945 references to 1986.

I remember after they blew that WS, they had a "parade" for that team anyway, I was working in Boston at the time and during my lunch break, myself and several co workers watched it; the players were on three duck boats, they all had expressions on their faces like they were at a funeral.

THE dumbest thing ever...............................a parade for losers.

I hate the extra-innings rule. The "ghost man". I've gotten to see it the past couple of seasons as the minor leagues tested it. It's a dumb idea.

If you want to speed up the game, then ensure that the umpires call the strike zone as it is defined and consistently. Batters flail at questionable pitches and foul them off, and that's why at-bats wind up taking longer, and why pitchers now throw 20 to 25 pitches on average in an inning, where just a couple of years ago, they through around 15 to 20. It's not the mound visits, it's not the pitching changes. It's the inconsistent strike zone.

Replay doesn't help speed things up, either.

Yesterday John McNamara passed away at the age of 88.

He was the skipper of the 1986 Red Sox team that lost the WS to the Mets.

A reporter interviewed John's wife, she told him "John never really got over losing that series to the Mets."

He's not the only one.

She went on to say Clemens 100% asked out of game six, Clemens claims he was pulled and did not want to come out.

Reading about it dredged up old memories and opened old wounds; I belong to a Boston sports fan forum and there is a lengthy thread going now about the 1986 World Series, everything from how Tom Seaver being injured cost them a quality start in game 4 to how McNamara should have went with Clemens in game 4 and Hurst in game 5 to go for the throat to how he should have pinch hit Don Baylor for Clemens and not Mike Greenwell to he should have gone with a rested Oil Can Boyd vs a cooked Bruce Hurst in game 7 to he should have put Dave Stapleton in as a defensive replacement for Buckner in game 6.

If its and buts were candies and nuts.......................regardless of all that; up TWO runs with TWO outs and NO ONE on base in the 10th inning...................if they played that inning 100 times, they close out the Mets NINETY NINE TIMES and win their first WS title in 68 years.

And my grandfather and my uncle Peter would have seen it, neither were alive in 2004.

And yeah, the Mets came back, it's not over until the final out, blah, blah, blah, but give me a break, a colossal gag job if ever there was one, a true example of the Mets did not win the game, the Red Sox lost it.

And yeah sure, that was only game 6, but it was over after that.

O-V-E-R.

That loss and the SB loss to the ****ing Giants that ruined the Patriots perfect season are two losses I will never, ever get over.

I cannot and refuse to watch highlights or replays of either game.

And Vince Scully calling that winning run in game six "Little roller up along the bag.........AND IT GETS BY BUCKNER, WHOEVER IT WAS SCORES AND THE METS WIN IT!"

I think he literally **** his pants.

I was at a house party for that game, about 20 people, we all had our jackets on and were standing around the TV watching, we were going to stampede out of the house down to the ballpark and celebrate; when the winning run scored, we all silently slithered out of his house, off to our cars and home we all went, no one said a single word.

The Red Sox played the Mets in a home and home series the past few nights, I'm surprised there were not 4,945 references to 1986.

I remember after they blew that WS, they had a "parade" for that team anyway, I was working in Boston at the time and during my lunch break, myself and several co workers watched it; the players were on three duck boats, they all had expressions on their faces like they were at a funeral.

THE dumbest thing ever...............................a parade for losers.

I understand your perspective as no one likes to be on the losing side but the 86 Mets were a team that refused to go quietly. They were down 3-0 in the 9th inning in game 6 against the Astros with the certainty that they’d have to face Mike Scott in game 7, a daunting challenge.

The Red Sox may have made some gaffes in game 6 but that’s because the Mets refused to go down and put pressure on them.

Be that as it may, look at it this way, since then the Red Sox have won four WS titles. I will take that any day, not to mention the Sox have been part of two of the most memorable WS ever played, 75 and 86.

By the way, I’ve watched most of the home and home series with the Red Sox and haven’t heard any 86 references although there have been some 75 ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back