2019 Baseball season (7 Viewers)

yea...in the good old days...those tough guys probably contributed to more than their fair share of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy...causing thinking and memory disorders...memory loss...confusion...impaired judgment...and eventually progressive dementia...basically destroying the long term health of their targets...things that the leagues are trying to avoid to some degree today...

I understand your point that throwing a baseball at someone is dangerous. But I just think the players should sort that out instead of the fans and lawyers. The types of injuries you note occur in the normal course of a game without dirty players. Professional sports is brutal on the body. The NFL is actually adding games. The owners and players are all about the money. If they want millions per year - more than most Americans make in a lifetime to play a game - and know the risks then it is what it is. If anyone was concerned about player safety they would play fewer games, get rid of artificial turf but none of that will ever happen. The hue and cry about dirty players is a product of a society in which everyone feels aggrieved. So bad calls must be reviewed, players suspended, rules changed, then appeal, investigations, debate about punishment. It's exhausting. Let the players sort it out. They always had a code for dealing with this sort of thing.

Speaking of sports, I saw a documentary last night on FS1 about the theft of Tom Brady's jersey after Super Bowl 51, it also got clipped after Super Bowl 49.

As is the case today, there are cameras everywhere..................the Houston police got involved, as did the head of security of the NFL and even the FBI.

They connected the dots and it was the head of a Mexican newspaper, he's a football nut, had press credentials to be on the field, just waltzed into the locker room after the game, grabbed the jersey out of Brady's locker and off he went.

The Mexican authorities raided his house and found both jerseys, he ended up not facing any charges, but he did lose his job at the newspaper.

He said he got carried away, like an addict, he had to have those jerseys.

I thought it was a pretty interesting story.

comparing dirty players that are purposely trying to hurt other players...
to unintentional injuries caused through the coarse of brutal sport's contest...
is hardly the same thing...

any idea on how you think "the players could sort things out" without the result of purposely trying to hurt someone?

to unintentional injuries caused through the coarse of brutal sport's contest...

any idea on how you think "the players could sort things out" without the result of purposely trying to hurt someone?

I don't think purposely throwing at someone's head is justified for any instance, that is just insane and the fact that players are railing against the suspension and the press trying to rationalize all of this is just ludicrous. That said, the way the world is today............................does it really surprise anyone? I mean logic is out the window along with common sense. I can't speak nor do I want to for anybody, but I can tell you I was raised with a different set of values and probably the ones that 99% of this board was raised with. Reasonableness and there is zero present in any of these situations. The inmates are running the asylum including sports.

Now, back in the day, there was a Pirates pitcher by the name of John Candelaria. He had such a wicked curveball that when he wanted to send a message to a right handed batter, he would simply throw in and the catcher would be about waist high and 2 feet to the right of the batter, that is how much it curved. He never threw at anyone's head, but he would remind batters of his ability when things went sideways. Was it right? No, he got thrown out quite a few times, was it harmless, YES, he never intentionally hit anyone in the head in retaliation. I remember when he did it to JR Reid who had just hit Dave Parker in the back of the helmet. Reid fell all over himself trying to get out of the way of the looping pitch and looked like a fat fish flopping on homeplate. The retaliation was the embarrassment, not the violence.

TD

Hurt is hurt. 99.9% of major injuries occur in the normal course of a game and are not the result of dirty players. I can only think of a handful of incidents in sports history where a player has sustained a significant injury from a dirty player. It happens but not that often. And what constitutes a "dirty" play has been substantially broadened in our victim culture. Pete Rose couldn't run over a catcher blocking home plate today. That is not a dirty play in my opinion. Brushing batters back off the plate is a part of baseball. My point is not necessarily to advocate for dirty players but to let the players sort it out rather than the self-aggrieved fans and lawyers who have no role in it. The players have always had a code and when guys cross it there are implications. These ersatz and endless controversies detract from the game in my opinion. The Astros cheated and won a championship. As a Dodgers fan, I'm not suggesting it be taken away from them by lawyers and appeals. It is what it is. The Dodgers should go out and win this year if they don't like it.

Hurt is hurt. 99.9% of major injuries occur in the normal course of a game and are not the result of dirty players. I can only think of a handful of incidents in sports history where a player has sustained a significant injury from a dirty player. It happens but not that often. And what constitutes a "dirty" play has been substantially broadened in our victim culture. Pete Rose couldn't run over a catcher blocking home plate today. That is not a dirty play in my opinion. Brushing batters back off the plate is a part of baseball. My point is not necessarily to advocate for dirty players but to let the players sort it out rather than the self-aggrieved fans and lawyers who have no role in it. The players have always had a code and when guys cross it there are implications. These ersatz and endless controversies detract from the game in my opinion. The Astros cheated and won a championship. As a Dodgers fan, I'm not suggesting it be taken away from them by lawyers and appeals. It is what it is. The Dodgers should go out and win this year if they don't like it.

appreciate your comments and point of view...and agreed...most injuries are not a result of dirty play...duly noted...

however...as a Dodger's fan you are probably aware that LA Dodger's pitcher...Ross Stripling has indicated publicly...that he'd be tempted to throw at the Astros if he saw them this season...so...this retaliation does admittedly truly exist...

sports can be a brutal profession in itself without purposely trying to hurt someone...

the only sports I can condone someone actually trying to hurt an opponent would be boxing and MMA...and that's just an inherent risk of that sport...both parties know what they are getting into before they get in the ring...I can't accept it in any other sports...especially football which is excessively violent even if played within the confines of the rules......

this will pass in time...faster if the league stands on top of it...

The Phillies have now canceled this weekend's series with the Blue Jays, because of concerns about the COVID-19 virus:

https://www.mlb.com/phillies/news/phillies-covid-19-citizens-bank-park

There were people posting on the Phillies' Facebook page, blaming the Marlins, but I pointed out that it's really more MLB's fault. It was probably wishful thinking, that they could have a season at all, not with groups of people moving around among various locations.

Prost!
Brad

appreciate your comments and point of view...and agreed...most injuries are not a result of dirty play...duly noted...

however...as a Dodger's fan you are probably aware that LA Dodger's pitcher...Ross Stripling has indicated publicly...that he'd be tempted to throw at the Astros if he saw them this season...so...this retaliation does admittedly truly exist...

sports can be a brutal profession in itself without purposely trying to hurt someone...

the only sports I can condone someone actually trying to hurt an opponent would be boxing and MMA...and that's just an inherent risk of that sport...both parties know what they are getting into before they get in the ring...I can't accept it in any other sports...especially football which is excessively violent even if played within the confines of the rules......

It sounds like MLB season is over. The only thing to do is declare the Dodgers champs by default! Put a couple of beers back and serve the fajitas. Then onward to the NBA where the Lakers are rolling.

It sounds like MLB season is over. The only thing to do is declare the Dodgers champs by default! Put a couple of beers back and serve the fajitas. Then onward to the NBA where the Lakers are rolling.

It could be. Manfred warned the players that unless they comply with the rules, he could end the season on Monday. Let’s hope that’s not the case.

Saturday and 1/3 of the scheduled games are postponed due to Covid. What a mess and it's just getting uglier. Hate to say it but MLB needs to give this season up as a bad bet and get around to protecting it's people. -- Al

Saturday and 1/3 of the scheduled games are postponed due to Covid. What a mess and it's just getting uglier. Hate to say it but MLB needs to give this season up as a bad bet and get around to protecting it's people. -- Al

Manfred indicated a few hours ago that the season is a go. If the season can continue, I think they will get it sorted out. I’d rather have a temporarily screwed up situation than no games.

I am a little late to the Astros/Joe Kelly story. I have two quick points to add.

First, if it is your team getting thrown at then baseball needs to step in, if it is your team doing the throwing then this is all just part of baseball’s unwritten rules. I speak from experience as the Giants have been a part of some historical beanball wars. During these incidents the opposing teams that got thrown at deserved it and when the Giants were thrown at the commissioner should have stepped in and protected the innocent SF batters. ^&grin

Second Joe Kelly is a coward. He is a middle reliever with joined the league in 2012. In 8 years he has a total of 101 plate appearances in his career. Since 2014 he has batted 12 times. It is easy to throw at someone knowing that you are not going to get thrown at.

I can live with fake fan noise and cardboard cut outs but those CGI fans are really creepy.

Anyone know if former O's OF Adam Jones has a job this year? He was with Arizona last year but I haven't seen him play this season. He only needs one more decent season to reach several milestones; 2000 hits, 300 Hrs, and 1000 RBIs. Sure would like to see him make it. -- Al

Anyone know if former O's OF Adam Jones has a job this year? He was with Arizona last year but I haven't seen him play this season. He only needs one more decent season to reach several milestones; 2000 hits, 300 Hrs, and 1000 RBIs. Sure would like to see him make it. -- Al

Al:

I think I read that he is playing in Japan. Although that was a little while back.

-Jason

Al:

I think I read that he is playing in Japan. Although that was a little while back.

-Jason

Japan; reminds me of back when I was hitting the gym hard and experiencing better gains through chemicals, there was this young kid at my gym, just a real odd duck, he really, really tried, but he was a complete tire fire...……..he always used to ask everyone in the gym what he was doing wrong, wasn't making any gains...…...one day he comes up to me and says "Hey man, you're a big dude, I've been a member here for four months and can't make any gains, I want to be big, big like you, I want to be the biggest guy around, what do I do, how do I become the biggest guy around?"...……..I told him "Oh man, that's easy; move to Japan"...………

Cespedes on the Mets failed to show up for the game today, not a word from him.

Apparently, they went to his hotel room, it was empty, he and all his stuff were gone........he up and decided to opt out and never bothered to tell anyone.

I remember how torked of Red Sox fans were when they traded this guy to the Tigers for Rick Porcello; Rick helped the Red Sox win a WS title.

Cespedes; million dollar talent, .05 cent head.

This is the most Mets thing ever....................................

Al:

-Jason
Thanks, Jason. After reading your answer, it triggered a faint memory of me reading that somewhere. Investigation revealed that he currently plays for the Orix Buffaloes in Japan.:salute:: -- Al

I see that the ever underperforming Jeff Samardzija of the Giants went 5.2 innings today, yielded 5 ERs and actually lowered his season ERA to 9.31. This guy drives me crazy, decent talent that never lives up to the potential with a current lifetime record of 80-105, with a 4.11 ERA and yet the Giants have been paying him $20 mil a year for the last 4 years. Beats me how that kind of mediocrity is worth anywhere near that kind of money. :rolleyes2: -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back