2019 Baseball season (9 Viewers)

Astros not going down yet...

did not like Correa flipping his bat and staring at his walk off homer for so long before running the bases...

that was unnecessary and left a bad taste in my mouth...

Yeah well Choi did a bat flip on his game tying home run, so what goes around comes around.

And Correa hit the **** out of that ball, if I hit a no doubter like that, I'd admire it too.....................

In this crazy year, especially one where you’re playing all the games on the same field, the Astros winning it would not be surprising.

Just like you said yesterday, momentum from game to game means very little, Braves up 7-1, Dodgers scored two TD's and got the two point conversion yesterday; so far today, not so much.........................still a long way to go though.....................and the Dodgers can score in bunches, so we'll see.

Yeah well Choi did a bat flip on his game tying home run, so what goes around comes around.

And Correa hit the **** out of that ball, if I hit a no doubter like that, I'd admire it too.....................

I just watched the replay of Choi's...
you're right...
I must have missed that...
I don't feel so guilty now...:wink2:

I am on the fence when it comes to the bat flips etc.

I get that it is now part of the game but I still prefer a muted celebration where the fact that you just smashed the ball 400+ feet out of the park speaks for itself.

I am on the fence when it comes to the bat flips etc.

I get that it is now part of the game but I still prefer a muted celebration where the fact that you just smashed the ball 400+ feet out of the park speaks for itself.
All I can say is that I remember watching such heroes of the game like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, McCovey, Howard, etc., smash home runs and nary a showboat display did you see. Head down and a steady trot around the bases with maybe a congrats from the 3rd base coach and the on-deck batter and then right back to the dugout. Those men had class and played the game like they were part of a team that was there to win, but win with a understated style that now seems long dead. A little class, a little restraint, would be most welcome in todays game. -- Al

The Braves returned the favor last night. The Dodgers’ elimination seems inevitable although not foreordained. If they are eliminated and considering they have a wealth of talent that is the envy of most teams, perhaps it’s time to change the manager.

The Braves returned the favor last night. The Dodgers’ elimination seems inevitable although not foreordained. If they are eliminated and considering they have a wealth of talent that is the envy of most teams, perhaps it’s time to change the manager.

Atlanta sports fans with half a brain, and a bit of memory, know well to never, ever start counting chickens.

But, it was fun watching that favor being returned.

Apparently, that's a record for the playoffs, to lose by at least 8 runs and then win by at least 8 runs the next game.

All I can say is that I remember watching such heroes of the game like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, McCovey, Howard, etc., smash home runs and nary a showboat display did you see. Head down and a steady trot around the bases with maybe a congrats from the 3rd base coach and the on-deck batter and then right back to the dugout. Those men had class and played the game like they were part of a team that was there to win, but win with a understated style that now seems long dead. A little class, a little restraint, would be most welcome in todays game. -- Al

Sports is different, players are different. What was acceptable in the 1920s had changed by the 1960s and forth. Sports is a reflection of society; it doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

The Braves are a very good team, no shame in losing to them should it happen.

That said, the Dodgers are a wagon and IMO, anything short of a WS title and the manager is done.

Kershaw continues to come up small when it matters most, he's got a sad history of failure in the NLCS and the WS.......................

The Braves are a very good team, no shame in losing to them should it happen.

That said, the Dodgers are a wagon and IMO, anything short of a WS title and the manager is done.

Kershaw continues to come up small when it matters most, he's got a sad history of failure in the NLCS and the WS.......................
To prove your point, George, Kershaw has been in 19 playoff series in the 10 years his team has made the playoffs and his record is 11-12 with a 4.31 ERA. He will make the HoF but his playoff numbers remind me of 2 other HoF pitchers who came up a little short in post-season play, year after year, Maddux (11-14 post-season) and Glavine (14-16 post-season). All superb pitchers with sub-par playoff histories. -- Al

To prove your point, George, Kershaw has been in 19 playoff series in the 10 years his team has made the playoffs and his record is 11-12 with a 4.31 ERA. He will make the HoF but his playoff numbers remind me of 2 other HoF pitchers who came up a little short in post-season play, year after year, Maddux (11-14 post-season) and Glavine (14-16 post-season). All superb pitchers with sub-par playoff histories. -- Al

What always amazes me is how big talents sometimes wilt in the playoff pressure while guys you never heard of rise to the occasion; Pearce for the RS in 2018 for example, there are countless others.

Throw in the Rays player who it seems like hits a home run every time up.....................he came from nowhere....................ex Cardinal, he's from Cuba.

Ouch. But true. Thank the lord for Smoltz! 15-4 postseason.

Regardless, the Braves came up short of the big trophy far too many times.

Ouch. But true. Thank the lord for Smoltz! 15-4 postseason.

Regardless, the Braves came up short of the big trophy far too many times.
Those 90's Braves teams were my oldest son's favorite teams and it broke his heart to see them lose as often as they did in the post season, but he did enjoy that '95 title. He idolized Maddux and still does. -- Al

Those 90's Braves teams were my oldest son's favorite teams and it broke his heart to see them lose as often as they did in the post season, but he did enjoy that '95 title. He idolized Maddux and still does. -- Al

The entire city of Atlanta was enthralled with those Braves. Even my mother, who wasn’t a baseball enthusiast before, or after, despite that I played the sport thru college, was into them.

Maddux was an Everyman kind of pitcher, an artist of a sort. He did not have an overwhelming arm,. But he Knew how to pitch.

There is a guy on this Forum who lives, or use to, a couple houses down from Smoltz. He has an unbelievable WWII diorama. Hand made bombed out town built by a local architect, probably 10 x 10. Populated with K&C and Thomas Gun figures and vehicles. Best I’ve ever seen, bar none.

The entire city of Atlanta was enthralled with those Braves. Even my mother, who wasn’t a baseball enthusiast before, or after, despite that I played the sport thru college, was into them.

Maddux was an Everyman kind of pitcher, an artist of a sort. He did not have an overwhelming arm,. But he Knew how to pitch.

There is a guy on this Forum who lives, or use to, a couple houses down from Smoltz. He has an unbelievable WWII diorama. Hand made bombed out town built by a local architect, probably 10 x 10. Populated with K&C and Thomas Gun figures and vehicles. Best I’ve ever seen, bar none.
The numbers Maddux put up year after year are really fantastic. He won 20 games only twice in his 23 year career, but he won 19 games 5 times and 18 twice. With a career ERA of 3.16, 5000+ innings pitched, and a 355-227 won/loss record, he has few equals in modern ball. -- Al

Yandy Diaz looks like he's on the verge of a melt down tonight...
he was scowling in the dugout last night after Game 5...
but looks really peeved tonight...

didn't like that he tried to take Correa out at 2nd with his slide 3 foot from the base...
or that he was taunting Valdez...

Sports is different, players are different. What was acceptable in the 1920s had changed by the 1960s and forth. Sports is a reflection of society; it doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

Brad:

I get it, things change. That doesn’t mean I have to like it ^&grin.

Someday soon, when a player hits a home run and then simply runs the bases he will be called a “throwback”.

-Jason

Brad:

I get it, things change. That doesn’t mean I have to like it ^&grin.

Someday soon, when a player hits a home run and then simply runs the bases he will be called a “throwback”.

-Jason

Most players when they hit a HR just around the bases but there’s nothing wrong with showing emotion. If football players can do it, why not baseball players?

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with showing emotion of a good play...

and I know you guys know baseball's nuances better than me...

but I always thought flipping the bat...
and/or watching it from home plate til it cleared the fence...
was taken as an insult to the pitcher...

but strangely...
once you start running and rounding the bases...
it's not taboo to show full blown emotion without fear of reprisal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back