2019 Baseball season (4 Viewers)

Al...

if I had to choose one of them to pitch one single game...

it would be Verlander...

so I say Verlander for the Cy Young...

does Bregman have a chance to win the AL MVP in your opinion?
Looking at the final numbers this AM, I think Bregman has a legitimate claim to MVP. He passed Trout to lead the AL in WAR, he's 3rd in Hr's and 5th in RBI's. He's got the numbers. -- Al

one thing about Bregman that won't show up in the batting stats...his defense is fantastic and he is versatile...plays 3rd base as his regular position...but has spent about 1/2 the season at short stop due to injuries...

one thing about Bregman that won't show up in the batting stats...his defense is fantastic and he is versatile...plays 3rd base as his regular position...but has spent about 1/2 the season at short stop due to injuries...

He’s a wonderful, fantastic player and very deserving but I think the writers sometimes play favorites.

He’s a wonderful, fantastic player and very deserving but I think the writers sometimes play favorites.

I think you are right...I've already had a great season that was a lot of fun to watch...any accolades from here on are just gravy...

Well, the Angels sure didn't exhibit much patience with first year manager Brad Ausmus...but Joe Madden is now a FA.:wink2: -- Al

Well, the Angels sure didn't exhibit much patience with first year manager Brad Ausmus...but Joe Madden is now a FA.:wink2: -- Al

Angels fans desperately wanted him fired. Joe has a 30 year history with the club. However, I think it’s more likely he winds up with a team like the Padres, Phillies or Mets, speaking of which, the Mickey Watch is on; he wasn’t invited to stay for the post season strategy seasons, which doesn’t bode well for his future.

Local news reporting that the Nats have an offer to Rendon that is a 7 year, $210-215 million ($30 mil per year). Expect Rendon to test FA anyway. Also believe that the 7 year offer is a starting point that allows the Nats room to add on while showing that they are serious and will spend the bucks. -- Al

Class move by Bochy pinch hitting Bumgarner in yesterday's game so that Giants fans could give him a proper ovation.

Further class move by Clayton Kershaw (who was pitching at the time) when he called his catcher Will Smith out from behind the plate before the at-bat to let Bumgarner soak in the cheers. Kershaw even tipped his his cap to Bochy after the third out of the inning in a salute to Bochy's final game as the Giants manager.

As a Giants fan I really don't like the Dodgers. However Kershaw has my respect as he is a fantastic pitcher and an absolute class act.

It's difficult to feel sorry for the Yankees but they won 103 games and their reward is to play a team in the first round that won 101 games. If they win that series, then they likely get the Astros with 107 wins and maybe the Dodgers in the WS with 106 wins. A tough road. I wonder if any team in MLB has ever beaten three teams with over 100 wins in the playoffs?

Houston’s ‘Mattress Mack’ Betting $10M On Astros To Win World Series

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/09/27/houston-mattress-mack-betting-10m-astros-win-world-series/

It’s really a marketing promotion to move more of the $3000 mattresses he sells.

He’s offering free refunds to all purchasers of the $3k mattresses IF the Astros win the WS.
But he’s hedging that offer/naked call option by betting on the Astros himself.

So if the Astros win he breaks even or thereabouts, I suspect, losing money on the free mattresses, but making enough money to cover those losses, on his bet.

If the Astros lose he loses his bet but nobody gets a free mattress. Meanwhile he has sold a bunch more mattresses.

I suppose some could try and return the mattress if the Astros lose. I’d surmise there is a provision in the giveaway to prevent that.

Meanwhile he also gets lots of free press. Pretty clever marketing ploy.

It’s really a marketing promotion to move more of the $3000 mattresses he sells.

He’s offering free refunds to all purchasers of the $3k mattresses IF the Astros win the WS.
But he’s hedging that offer/naked call option by betting on the Astros himself.

So if the Astros win he breaks even or thereabouts, I suspect, losing money on the free mattresses, but making enough money to cover those losses, on his bet.

If the Astros lose he loses his bet but nobody gets a free mattress. Meanwhile he has sold a bunch more mattresses.

I suppose some could try and return the mattress if the Astros lose. I’d surmise there is a provision in the giveaway to prevent that.

Meanwhile he also gets lots of free press. Pretty clever marketing ploy.

exactly...
it's a marketing gimmick...
and he's a proven marketing genius...
he has done this in the past before...
he's been very successful...
he usually buys insurance to cover himself...
but Astros are favored so heavily...
nobody will insure him on it...

his store in Houston currently ranks as the Sales-per-Square-Foot leader for independent retailers in the United States...

the city of Houston loves Mac...
he's housed 1,000's of displaced people free in his giant furniture store through Houston floods and hurricanes...
it's quite a set up...
he has food courts...bowling lanes...a game room for children...

he does motivational speeches for Shell Oil and other large companies...
he's a quirky nice hard working guy...
very generous and benevolent to Houston causes...

I have been in his store a few times...
he's always at the front door greeting people...
a self made hard working man...

exactly...
it's a marketing gimmick...
and he's a proven marketing genius...
he has done this in the past before...
he's been very successful...
he usually buys insurance to cover himself...
but Astros are favored so heavily...
nobody will insure him on it...

his store in Houston currently ranks as the Sales-per-Square-Foot leader for independent retailers in the United States...

the city of Houston loves Mac...
he's housed 1,000's of displaced people free in his giant furniture store through Houston floods and hurricanes...
it's quite a set up...
he has food courts...bowling lanes...a game room for children...

he does motivational speeches for Shell Oil and other large companies...
he's a quirky nice hard working guy...
very generous and benevolent to Houston causes...

I have been in his store a few times...
he's always at the front door greeting people...
a self made hard working man...

I lived in Houston for about two years in the early 2000s. Owned a home in West University. Enjoyed the town, not the heat.
Terrific Mexican food and restaurants in general. Went to a Monster Truck Rally, my only one, in the old Astrodome not long before they bulldozed it. Was there when Enron collapsed and 9/11. Lost a new car to a big flood. Still, enjoyed myself in Texas.

I lived in Houston for about two years in the early 2000s. Owned a home in West University. Enjoyed the town, not the heat.
Terrific Mexican food and restaurants in general. Went to a Monster Truck Rally, my only one, in the old Astrodome not long before they bulldozed it. Was there when Enron collapsed and 9/11. Lost a new car to a big flood. Still, enjoyed myself in Texas.

he was very popular in the early 2000's...
you must remember his zany commercials...
seemed like I saw 10 a day on tv...
Mattress Mac...
jumping up and down with a fistful of dollars in his hands screaming...
"Gallery Furniture...really will save you money!"
he's done well for himself and has been very generous to the city that made him rich...

he was very popular in the early 2000's...
you must remember his zany commercials...
seemed like I saw 10 a day on tv...
Mattress Mac...
jumping up and down with a fistful of dollars in his hands screaming...
"Gallery Furniture...really will save you money!"
he's done well for himself and has been very generous to the city that made him rich...

Vaguely, I do think I recall him and his antics.

Al...
there you go...
3rd inning...
Turner just got you one back...
I have been really uneasy about this game, mainly because of the whole one and done aspect, but also because Scherzer hasn't been anywhere near the same pitcher since he came of the DL as before he went on it. He has had early inning troubles and has been very vulnerable to the gopher ball, all evident in tonight's game. I get Martinez wanting to go with his #1 man, but I think Strasburg would have been the smarter choice, especially as shaky as Max has been since his late August return. At least Max seems to have settled in, but he has a ways to go yet. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back