ACW - In Union Hands (1 Viewer)

mestell

Lieutenant Colonel
I have really been enjoying the beautiful autumn weather we have been currently having in southern Wisconsin and haven't done too much lately here on the forum. I decided this afternoon to take a break from Mother Nature and create a new ACW story scene. I wasn't going to post this until tomorrow, however Scott (thebritfarmer), noticed that I had already posted one of these photos on my ACW album late this afternoon so I thought I would start the series earlier than planned - thanks Scott for the comment on my album. In this series of photos, the 137th New York infantry regiment is holding their position on Culp's Hill while in the background the 29th Ohio is coming to their relief . . . .
:) Mike

IN UNION HANDS
137th New York Regiment (Colonel Ireland)
3rd Brigade (Brig Gen Greene)
2nd Division (Brig Gen Geary)
Federal XII Corps Maj Gen Slocum/Brig Gen Williams
5:45 a.m., July 3, 1863, Culp's Hill Gettysburg, PA
By the time the sun was above the horizon, the entire Federal line had been ablaze for more than an hour. The men of Brigadier General George Greene's New Yorker Brigade fired so rapidly their guns became fouled and their ammunition ran low. Troops started to be rotated behind the lines so that they could clean their muskets and refill their cartridge boxes. At 5:45 a.m., the 29th Ohio of Candy's brigade relieved the 137th New York in the breastworks. The 29th Ohio "moved over the ridge at a run without firing a shot until fairly in the breastworks, when it opened fire upon the enemy, under cover of which Colonel Ireland was able to withdraw the 137th with but small loss" (Captain Edward Hayes, 29th OH).

PICT0001-19.jpg

PICT0003-13.jpg

PICT0002-18.jpg

PICT0004-8.jpg

Mike

A terrific scene/photo--definitely a WB/H&A level quality job!

Randy

You're welcome Mike, credit where credit is due. Always enjoy looking at your photos.

Mike mate,
Outstanding dio and photography. Keep posting them cobber. Those ACW scenes make my day.:)
Cheers from the Land Downunder, Howard

Once again USReb another nicely photograph tale..........The Lt.

Thanks again Scott and thank you to Randy, DCN1898, Howard, Mitch, and Joe. Continuning the series this morning, here are a few more . . . .
:) Mike

PICT0005-5.jpg

PICT0007-5.jpg

PICT0008-1.jpg

PICT0009-2.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

PICT0011-1.jpg

PICT0012-1.jpg

Mike- Great photos & story, as always. You have such a beautiful hand combining figures and scenics. Thanks for posting. - Ken

Mike...all your props...all your bases...all your figures...they are really coming together to give you some great dioramas...

Again so enjoyable and inspiring just love the rocks....I am rock fan have built a few rock walls...even did an article for a toy magazine how building a rock wall using some stuff from Home depot..was fun to make......so thanks Mike for sharing........wonder when we are going to see your Fight for the Works used in a dio??

Simply superb, and maybe the best trees in a diorama I can remember. The trunks actually look like tree trunks!!

I have to agree-the depth of the diorama really makes it. 1 suggestion-with a few added Britains, you could easily make this a wonderful little round top diorama-worthy of the museum at Gettysburg!

Beautiful as always. Like the mist in the background. Nice way to spend the evening looking at your dio pics. Thanks.

I have been looking at this stockade I am making, and need to figure out what I should use for trees (not the ones that were cut down for the stockade, just for the background). How did you do/where did you get those trees?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back