Advice required for Highland Band (1 Viewer)

I must always read my posts before posting

I meant - wasn't it the Gordons wot burried him and NOT "killed and burried him!"

Unless, of course, he stopped the rum ration! - j

Hi Johnny

I`m not sure of the date.By the look of the photo I would say late 1880,I`m still looking.The Gurkha pipers wear Douglas trews and rifle green trews.Alot has changed since the government has disband alot of the regiments.

Royalscots.jpg

Retreat from Corruna, that's the one.
One of the Gurkhas was affiliated to the Scottish Rifles, hense the Douglas sett but I'm pretty sure another one wore the Gordon sett but perhaps not the spat buttons. The London Scottish use pipe bags of Gordon sett but they don't wear black spat buttons. As you say "life's complicated" but that's half the fun. As I said I'm happy to be proved wrong, that means someone has given me information I didn't already have!:)

Martin

Thanks both for input.
Another cracking photo Dave - with a leopardskin too. I will mark previous photo as circa 1880's. Thanks for checking it out for me.

Yes it is the fun of it Martin - hunting down info to get 'em right. I must admit that when I was going it alone, so to speak, it was far more difficult - and as you have seen from the french horn episode - if you don't know the questions to ask - all too easy to make a mistake.

I also have a small London Scottish band (Asset again). Problem is, I'm not much of a photographer - so will have to practice that skill too. I would like to photograph all of my stuff in daylight - so maybe I'll wait a bit for a bright spell. With a bit of luck, I hope to put them all in albums - once I get the hang of it all.

Good to know there are others out there, who are prepared to give some help and advice though.

Regards - johnnybach

Hi Martin
The London Scottish do have Gordon Pipe bag covers.So do the Toronto Scottish as they are sister regiments.When I was a member of the Toronto Scottish Reg we did some jobs with the London Scottish.The Cape Town Highlanders are also a sister Reg with the Gordons.

I think some of the Scottish Regs have taken on a Company of Gurkhas into there Btns.The Gurkhas were hit hard with the down sizing of the British Army.I remember doing the Wembley Tattoo in 1982 with the Gurkhas great bunch of guys.
Cheers
Dave

GurkhaBandinNo3Dress.jpg

This is the band of Gurkhas I meant - as you can see - very little of the spats are visible.
(NB this is really an experiment to see if I can post this picture which was taken yesterday)

LondonScottishc1980.jpg

LondonScottishc1980view.jpg

And these are my London Scottish c.1980. As I made these up from ASSET castings about three years ago - you may note that I gave them black buttons on their spats! Soon to be rectified with a dash of white - sorry about that.

You may note that I am still experimenting with the camera. I am finding that flash at close range is no good. So surperessing flash with good light is better - but best of all is close-up in bright sunlight. So, I intend to take photos on a bright sunny day - outdoors - then post to my albums.

Camera experts question: Can you copy from album to "posts" - or do you have to go back to photobucket?

Very nice jb I also spy mounted police? in one of the photos, will this be a band as well?

regarding your posting photos from an album, yes you can but the pics are not a as big as there are from photo bucket. When you look at each photo in your album you will see below it a BB code you have to copy and paste that into the thread.

I usually have 2 windows open to do this, one is my Treefrog post and the other my album so I can flip back and forth.

Hope that helps :p

Hi Scott. Thanks - I AM practicing at photos - but think they would be better taken outdoors - when the weather improves. These ones were really practice attempts - as you can see. However, as I had been discussing these figures, I thought that Martin and Dave might like to see what we were on about.

Yes - the RCMP band that I bought as castings in the UK have muscled in to picture. They will be a RCMP band eventually (around the 1930's - so that I can sneak in some Sousaphones!)

Now, how did you guess that!!! johnnybach

Whilst I understand the principle involved in posting from "my albums" - will stick with photobucket until it becomes practiced and easy. Will file the other method - and give it a try when I feel comfortable. j. Thanks again Scott

LondonScottishc1980.jpg

LondonScottishc1980view.jpg

And these are my London Scottish c.1980. As I made these up from ASSET castings about three years ago - you may note that I gave them black buttons on their spats! Soon to be rectified with a dash of white - sorry about that.

You may note that I am still experimenting with the camera. I am finding that flash at close range is no good. So surperessing flash with good light is better - but best of all is close-up in bright sunlight. So, I intend to take photos on a bright sunny day - outdoors - then post to my albums.

Camera experts question: Can you copy from album to "posts" - or do you have to go back to photobucket?

Very nice, I've just finished some new figures of the London Scottish at the battle of Messines in 1914. What colour did you use for the Hoddon grey?
Unfortunatly one more problem spotted. The rifle should be the L1A1 SLR carried at the shoulder for 1980 not the SA80 carried at the slope, sorry.

Martin

Hi Scott. Thanks - I AM practicing at photos - but think they would be better taken outdoors - when the weather improves. These ones were really practice attempts - as you can see. However, as I had been discussing these figures, I thought that Martin and Dave might like to see what we were on about.

Yes - the RCMP band that I bought as castings in the UK have muscled in to picture. They will be a RCMP band eventually (around the 1930's - so that I can sneak in some Sousaphones!)

Now, how did you guess that!!! johnnybach

Whilst I understand the principle involved in posting from "my albums" - will stick with photobucket until it becomes practiced and easy. Will file the other method - and give it a try when I feel comfortable. j. Thanks again Scott

You are quite welcome J,

Practice practice practice , that what I am still doing 3 years later:) Does you camera have a macro setting? Try using that and getting in close. Even putting your figures by a large window can help or add some more artificial lighting. Avoid the flash as you pointed out it doesn't really work to well for glossies anyway.

The give away for the RCMP was the hats and the yellow trousers stripe :D

Just noticed a Britains mounted Knights of Agincourt very nice did you paint that also?

Hi Johnny, seeing your comment about the RCMP I thought you might find the attached of some use. Incidently, with regard to your photo of the London Scottish, the Queen's Colour is always on the right. This applies to all line regiments.

Attachments

• rcmp.jpg
    rcmp.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 50
  • rcmp01.jpg
    rcmp01.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 47
  • rcmp02.jpg
    rcmp02.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 47
  • rcmp03.jpg
    rcmp03.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 42
johnnybach And these are my London Scottish c.1980. As I made these up from ASSET castings about three years ago - you may note that I gave them black buttons on their spats! Soon to be rectified with a dash of white - sorry about that. [/QUOTE said:
Don't do that, Johnny, the London Scottish adopted black spat buttons back in 1953 in order to conform with the Gordons, and they still wear them today as part of the London Regiment.

Hi to all.

Martin - Thanks for the detail again. I must admit that I was a 0.303 LE man first - and then SLR, so had no experience of the plastic stuff that falls to bits when the trigger is pulled (allegedly). So, put my trust in Asset, who provided the "bits" to put together. I won't change them though - as they were tricky!
I have now learned via the forum - if you don't know - ASK?

The Hodden Grey of the London Scottish, (from memory I'm afraid) was a mixture of flesh, pale grey and a touch of matt black - until it dried "right" (on a marge tub lid). When felt I had got it right - I painted the lot - two coats on top of pale grey undercoat (all Humbrol). I am now keeping a record of how I mix colours - but didn't when I made these up.

Yo trooper - thanks for the Colour pictures - theyr'e superb. Love the wolf apron? - though my Bass drummer is going to have no apron and a simple neck harness of brown leather - same as the waist-belt. He's half-finished so I won't change him - but if I had spotted that before starting,it would have been out with the milliput! As to the Colours for the London Scottish - darn it! - you've got me again. I was really just practicing taking pics - though that's no excuse. I must also learn to clear my desk - as "Hawkeye" also spotted my Mounties - and also a "Knight of Agincourt" in the background. I'm half expecting some "tankie" to ask what tank I'm making next, (so for the record it's a Centurion).

Now then Scott - As you've noticed, it's my version of Roy Selwyn Smith's (Britains No.1662) Standard Bearer. BUT I had a book on Heraldry for Xmas (Santa comes early via Amazon in our house). So, I have made him into one of our greatest knights - Sir William Marshall, Earl of Pembroke around 1200. I have just given him a shield(not on the original) - and given him his listed coat of arms (from the book) though was reading that this is contentious! Someone is apparently trying to find out what Coat of Arms he really had after his marriage - when he gained his titles. Given my experience of research into the use of tenor drums in Scottish regiments comparatively recently - I wish him the best of British Luck in going back to the 1200's! It is reasonably well accepted that the Lion rampant on yellow and green were devices he COULD have used in his tournament fighting days. My book shows this shield anyway. If you want a photo of him - I'll have a go tomorrow - if you like.

Cheers for now - johnnybach

Hi trooper - thanks for prompt reply - that saves me overpainting the spats! All the best - johnnybach

Martin - I've just had an idea! What date did they start using the SA80 in the London Scottish? I'll just change the date for my Colour Party! Simples!!
johnnybach

Martin - I've just had an idea! What date did they start using the SA80 in the London Scottish? I'll just change the date for my Colour Party! Simples!!
johnnybach

I'll have to dig out exactly when they adopted the 5.56 thing but I think it was about the same time as the London Regiment was formed. The London Scottish became a company of the London Regiment and no longer carry their own colour! There might be a time period between the two though. And that answers the question about the spats.:D

Martin

SirWilliamMarshallShield.jpg

I am getting quicker Scott. This is my picture taken earlier today - by the window of my work-room, of Sir Billy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back