Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (1 Viewer)

All I can see are some blue bits painted on a grey square.
I'm denying that I'm in denial. :confused:

As for the figures, well they're coming along just nicely. ;)

Jeff,

thanks for the update on the gunners, there is no need to apologise for the delay 'quality takes time' :)

Thanks also for show the members the wonderful deatils of the flag. I found it very easy to paint those details due to the raised parts, and I'm sure that it will look wonderful when finished. Here is mine...
rus_flag.jpg

Michel's images of the group of Guardsmen really show off the figures, and your painting well, so keep up the good work.

John

What colour do you see now then Simon? :D

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 265.jpg
    alma 265.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 131
The first coat of white added. The main colours will have a second coat at the touch up stage once all the detail has been painted.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 266.jpg
    alma 266.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 113
Jeff,

thanks for the update on the gunners, there is no need to apologise for the delay 'quality takes time' :)

Thanks also for show the members the wonderful deatils of the flag. I found it very easy to paint those details due to the raised parts, and I'm sure that it will look wonderful when finished. Here is mine...
rus_flag.jpg

Michel's images of the group of Guardsmen really show off the figures, and your painting well, so keep up the good work.

John

I am sorry but Russian regiments never used purple or/and light green colors on their flags, at the best of my knowledge.

Al

Al,

I must confess I did guess that this was a flag that the regiment would have used in the 1850's, but I will stand corrected if anyone has further details.

I based my colours for this particualr flag on an 1812 version used at Boridino by the Tchernigov Regiment. This was sourced from a book, "Boridino, The Moskova" by F G Hourtouille with drawings by Andre Jouineau and published by Historie & Collections and contains full colour line drawings of the Russina and French Regiments of that famous battle.

In the Napoleonic Wars there were flags with light green and purple, as well as pink, touquoise and grey, so very multi coloured and some of these regiments carried the same colours in the Crimean, hence my assumtion.

John

Al,

I must confess I did guess that this was a flag that the regiment would have used in the 1850's, but I will stand corrected if anyone has further details.

I based my colours for this particualr flag on an 1812 version used at Boridino by the Tchernigov Regiment. This was sourced from a book, "Boridino, The Moskova" by F G Hourtouille with drawings by Andre Jouineau and published by Historie & Collections and contains full colour line drawings of the Russina and French Regiments of that famous battle.

In the Napoleonic Wars there were flags with light green and purple, as well as pink, touquoise and grey, so very multi coloured and some of these regiments carried the same colours in the Crimean, hence my assumtion.

John

Hello John,

I understand your point but still think that more research is needed on this subject. Russian flags and standards were quite different in 1855 in compare with 1812. I found a picture of an original flag of the Tchernigov Regiment from 1812. You can see that it is quite similar to an Alma made flag with exception for the colors. The Artillery regiments would have different colors. This flag has "A" letters in the corners standing for Alexander I instead of "N" s (on Alma flag) standing for Nicholas I (who passed away in 1855; The Crimea war 1853-56).

BTW is it "N II" or "N I" in the corners? N II (for Nicholas II, who reigned 1894-1917) would be incorrect for the Crimea War.

I will do research on the subject and keep you posted.

Al

Attachments

• tchernigov.gif
    tchernigov.gif
    35.5 KB · Views: 105
The best description I found of Russian colours of the Crimean war is a article in Tradition magazine number 44 : 'Russian Colours and Standards in the Crimean War'.
No colour plates but nice black/white drawings and very detailled text description.

If you are interested, I can scan it and mail it.

Michel

The best description I found of Russian colours of the Crimean war is a article in Tradition magazine number 44 : 'Russian Colours and Standards in the Crimean War'.
No colour plates but nice black/white drawings and very detailled text description.

If you are interested, I can scan it and mail it.

Michel

Yes..........right down to the yellowish teeth on the Dragon that St George is slaying - this detail is on the little red shield on the breast of the Imperial double-headed eagle!

:rolleyes:;):cool::D

Jeff

Yes..........right down to the yellowish teeth on the Dragon that St George is slaying - this detail is on the little red shield on the breast of the Imperial double-headed eagle!

:rolleyes:;):cool::D

Jeff

Yellowish teeth indeed.
Dragons are not especially known for their buccal hygiene :)

But you quite strangely forgot to mention the colour of the dragon.

Five letters....
Starts with GR...
Ends with EN...

Just make sure that it's "N I" on the flag corners ( not "N II") otherwise it will be a WWI piece. :)
Just my 2 cent.
Al

Yellowish teeth indeed.
Dragons are not especially known for their buccal hygiene :)

But you quite strangely forgot to mention the colour of the dragon.

Five letters....
Starts with GR...
Ends with EN.

Hmmmm......that's a hard one! :D

Jeff

Michel,

thanks for the offer of detailed descriptions of the flags. Yes Please!! Send it over as I really like to get my painting correct and to show off your figures as accurately as I can.

Al,

Thanks also for follwing up the flag for me, and for offereing your detailed description. I look forward to any further research you can do on this, as I'm sure all of us will be most greatful. :)

regards,

John

The Eagle gets a coat of paint, and before anyone asks - yes, I have painted on both sides of the flag! ;)

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 267.jpg
    alma 267.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 106
A bit more detail added today, the gold paint was worked into the wreath and any over painting was touched in when then the orange had its second coat. The same approach will be taken for the corner details of the Imperial cipher etc. and then the white and green will have another coat.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 268.jpg
    alma 268.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Back