Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (4 Viewers)

Jeff,

they are looking good, keep up the good work with the fine weather.... I'm glad its cooled down a bit so that paint takes longer to dry.... :)

I hope to have my 3 Frenchmen done this weekend, got thier belts painted last night, so not much more to do.

Looking forward to you finished product,

John

Jeff,

they are looking good, keep up the good work with the fine weather.... I'm glad its cooled down a bit so that paint takes longer to dry.... :)

I hope to have my 3 Frenchmen done this weekend, got thier belts painted last night, so not much more to do.

Looking forward to you finished product,

John

Finished him today, photos tomorrow morning. :)

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 287.jpg
    alma 287.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 118
  • alma 288.jpg
    alma 288.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 129
  • alma 289.jpg
    alma 289.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 123
  • alma 290.jpg
    alma 290.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 124
  • alma 291.jpg
    alma 291.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 125
Well, what can I say? Just plain wonderful. I really envy your skills with paint and brush. -- Al

I, too, had not visited this thread in awhile and I can see I missed some magnificent painting. All very nicely done.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement on this thread over the last 18 months! :eek:

There have been periods of idleness :eek: mixed in with sessions of intense painting (and then family bereavement, which knocked me off my stride last autumn) the result which I believe (even if I may say so myself ;)) does justice to some of the best model soldier kits that are around today.

The figures have been a joy to paint, no really, they have :rolleyes::D and I hope that Michel does well with his company selling both painted figures and castings alike. I hope that others like Simon, Dave and John try their hand at painting some of these exceptional figures.

Alas I have come to the end of my painting era, due to work and more importantly family matters, but mainly the old eyes are getting knackered (and me ears are grizzled) so no more painting projects from me I’m afraid.

Many, many thanks again to all who have followed through this and my other painting threads over the last three years, it’s been fun…………………..:):)

Jeff

Last edited:
Dang!!!!

I just bugs me to see the canteen on the right side in the way of the cartridge box and the rifle stock. Best way to wear it is on the left.

I guess I'm "that guy" but I've fired these things wearing similar gear.

BTW, I really like the gloss paint. These figure would great in Matt as well. Thanks for posting.

Yo Jeff, this is a sad day mate:( hanging the old distemper brush up forever.
But understand the eye problem, talking to a ex Stadden painter the other day as to how they did such small writing IE: battle honours on the Standards, and he replied it was hard, but could not do it today it affects the old eyesight. So does this mean there is going to be a Stampede for anything Painted by Jeff lol, if so I am well in just PM me guys;) I suppose I will have to get you into collecting Chas Stadden now:rolleyes: make sure you dont get bored with all the spare time on your hands. Hope you are going to keep in touch mate, and thanks for the superb painting jobs and repairs you did for me:D.
Bernard.

Almost forgot to add the share prices for GREEN paint are going to slump badly. Believe Simon has just sold all his stock lol.

It has been a joy to watch you bring figures to life Jeff with your magic brush. These have been some of my favourite TF threads and I for one will miss them, although I understand your reasoning for hanging up the brush. I am sure I will be there in a few years myself.

Again thanks for your photos and allowing us to follow along.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement on this thread over the last 18 months! :eek:

There have been periods of idleness :eek: mixed in with sessions of intense painting (and then family bereavement, which knocked me off my stride last autumn) the result which I believe (even if I may say so myself ;)) does justice to some of the best model soldier kits that are around today.

The figures have been a joy to paint, no really, they have :rolleyes::D and I hope that Michel does well with his company selling both painted figures and castings alike. I hope that others like Simon, Dave and John try their hand at painting some of these exceptional figures.

Alas I have come to the end of my painting era, due to work and more importantly family matters, but mainly the old eyes are getting knackered (and me ears are grizzled) so no more painting projects from me I’m afraid.

Many, many thanks again to all who have followed through this and my other painting threads over the last three years, it’s been fun…………………..:):)

Jeff

Jeff,
No thanks required for following your thread, on the contrary, thankyou for taking the time to put up the progress shots, it really has been enjoyable to see your creations.

Sorry to hear that you'r hanging out your paintbrushes (got any green paint going spare? :D), but I daresay you'll end up dipping the brush in times to come - it's in the blood. ;)

BTW, I did do a few of thse a while back (The Rifles), in matt, and wholeheartedly agree, they are a joy to paint. Must whittle down my collection of castings before getting any more :eek:

Thanks again Jeff, and when you do decide that you're bored one evening, and feel like splodging a bit of paint around, please take a few snapshots.

Cheers
Simon

Jeff, I'm really going to miss your thread/projects. I liked watching the progression on your outstanding gloss figures. -- Al

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am saddened at the fact I will no longer be able to follow along as you apply your magic brush to the small figures in a way that breathes life into them. However, my sadness is selfish and I recognize the greater good is achieved when you make a healthy and desirable change in your daily behavior.

I want to thank you for the many hours of pleasure I have experienced through viewing your work. Also, you have generously provided me with a great and helpful education on the art of figure painting. Further, I have very much appreciated your many and varied contributions to our forum. I am certain many, many other forum members feel as I do.

It is my hope that, even if you are retiring from figure painting, you will remain an active member of the Treefrog Forum. Your presence on the forum has made it a better place and Treefrog would not be the same if you were absent.

Best of luck, Jeff. Please stay in touch with all of us!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

I didn’t realize that these threads were so popular! :eek:

Just to clarify – I will still be an active member of the forum; I’m just giving the painting a rest.

Simon, Sorry my bad English (I learn it from a book) I meant that others like you; Dave and John should have a go at a few Alma figures.

I know that this may sound strange, but I don’t actually collect gloss figures only matt; I just paint in gloss.

Thanks again……….:):)

Jeff

I didn’t realize that these threads were so popular! :eek:

Just to clarify – I will still be an active member of the forum; I’m just giving the painting a rest.

Simon, Sorry my bad English (I learn it from a book) I meant that others like you; Dave and John should have a go at a few Alma figures.

I know that this may sound strange, but I don’t actually collect gloss figures only matt; I just paint in gloss.
Thanks again……….:):)

Jeff

You have mentioned this before Jeff and I have often wondered why? Any particular reason?

The Coldstream Guardsman..........:cool:

Jeff

Jeff,
As for the previous ones, this Guardsman is just perfect.
Seeing the pictures on a computer screen may be delusive on the skill and talent that are required to achieve such work (figures look so bigs in your pictures:) ).
But when you have the privilege, as I have, to hold them in your hands no doubt is allowed that you are a master painter !
Thanks,
Michel

Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks for painting all these figures and for posting regular updates of your progress on the Forum.
It has been very exciting for me to be able to follow you step by step.
It is very sad to learn that the recently finished guardsman will the last one but I of course understand your reasons.
Thanks again !
Michel

Jeff,
watching all your step-by-step threads and the excellent work you did for me and many other collectors was always exciting and a great pleasure.
If you put down the brushes now for good the forum loses one of the finest and most entertaining contributions to the "Painting" section.
But I am looking forward to future conversations with you about this great hobby and your outstanding work as "our" cameraman at the London Shows.
All the Best!
Konrad

Oh, Jeff, I forgot one thing.
If it is a definite decision and there is no way you get back into painting, be so nice and send any remaining "greens" to Simon.
After all these years he deserves them ;) :D
Konrad

Thank you Jeff for all the painting pictures and guidance on painting figures. I will miss your work. I know the feeling since I hardly paint anymore. I am going to try some last figures I have primed and one multi part Dragon Tiger, just to see if I can still do a little painting and modeling. You are a real contribution to the forum. Regards: John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back