American Civil War.... (1 Viewer)

Gephard and DCN, agree much. I consider him a wizard in the saddle based on my study. I have read the many account's including Erics who consider him great against only second rate. Jefman, I do acknowledge the alternative viewpoint, I just tend to put Forrest in the same class as Jeb and Mosby. I also agree with Hampton being "second" class! I also admire Jeb greatly, he is the supreme calvary commander in my book, one of my ancestors died at Yellow Tavern.

Was Forrest a nuisance to Sherman (I have trouble typing him by name :p), yes he was, I believe Sherman outrightedly couldn't stand it when Forrest was near him!

Anyhow, get there firstest with the mostest in all that you do in life and you will be ok.................:D

TD
I am not in the league of many of you on civil war history but I do much appreciate cavalry of all types. I have always been impressed about what I have read about Forrest and Mosby is one of my favorites of all periods.;) Yes firest with the mostest works pretty well.:D

Brad: Eric Witenberg's site is fantastic. Thanks for posting that. If one delves into the site it is clear that Eric supports his conclusions: That JEB Stuart was over rated as a cavalry commander, that Wade Hampton was a terrific cavalry commander on par if not better than Stuart, that Bedford Forrest was a nuiscance nothing more and that despite inferior weapons the Confederate cavalry was a formidable foe to the Union even into late 1864 especially in the eastern theatre. He uses official records, tin types, photos, diaries and all sorts of original data points to support his interpretations. It is all real important stuff as many suppossed Civil War historians take unsupported creative license with history and give flawed and in some cases unsubstantiated,poorly researched opinions rather than the historical truth. It is a much needed vehicle when interpreting the look and feel in this case Civil War Cavalry. Thanks again.

I appreciate any politicking you can provide in regards to Rome and her enemies and/or a full blown Crusader line! I'm sure you could generate far more leverage than many of us combined as you are a super fan indeed :)! I enjoy reading the FL threads, which you are always a cheerful participant in:). I'm certain many of us enjoy your enthusiasm. I think it's just a matter of time before we are all investing in FL to some degree. I'm really looking forward to the day when I finally place and receive my first order.....maybe AWI.....maybe ACW, or maybe it's best to wait for my deepest interests to manifest themselves in FL's splendor. Can you imagine what FL could do with Romans or Greeks (or both :eek:)?!?! That would be special indeed. I would also enjoy some WWII US and British soldiers; that would reel me right in. But for now I think the waiting game is probably the road I will travel because picking up a FL range is a significant financial endeavor (and worth every penny I'm sure). I'm just not one to dabble once I start in on something; at that point it's hook, line and sinker :p. So I think I will wait until something of my prime interests comes to FL fruition. Happy collecting to you as well and please keep lobbying for FL to produce Romans and her extraordinarily expansive pallet of enemies! I think FL could do it like no other.

Joe

HI Joe,
I see by your Avatar that you also enjoy the Celts I have the Celt Warrior Calling Tribe to Attack figure as well , I have been going back and forth about getting the Celt Chariot w/Three Figures for a long time now but at $1,100.00 I have not been able to pull the trigger yet . I have seen it in person several times and IMO its worth every penny but just hard for me to take the jump. And I have been spending more and more of my budget with First Legion , I know some times my enthusiasm my rub some guys the wrong way but I'm really excited about having found First legion . IMO they are really doing something special both in the quality of their products and in the depth of the coverage given to a line or Battle .
I'm sure I don't have any leverage in swaying what First Legion plan to do , But Matt is a hands on guy and he knows I do put my money where my mouth is . I really don't run around making comments on products I have no intention of buying so If he were to do Rome and her Enemies or a Crusader line and GOD knows I hope they will get around to it some day... I will be all in . I feel the same way as you ....really could you imagine what First Legion could do with say a Caesar's Gallic Wars line :eek::eek: the possibilities go through my mind all the time . That is way I'm so FIRED up about the First Legion Napoleonic line I have been hoping that someone would come along and give one of my Favorite periods the attention it deserves at this level , I'm trying to stay focused but I'm getting pulled into the Stalingrad line having bought the Strumgeschütz and a hand full of figures IMO they are just to good to pass . Wow... sorry for going on here but it is the reason I joined this forum :) to talk about my Hobby with people who share one of my passions . I don't make a cent off of Toy Soldiers but I feel that there are a lot of guys on this forum who do and I IMO that causes some of the hostility directed towards both Matt and First Legion as they have effectively taken a lot of the hands out of the cookie jar .. for better or for worse ?? that remains to be seen, and it is really up to Matt and Company how they choose to run their business . All I know is that as long as they keep making Figures at this level I'm a HAPPY guy......... All the Best Gebhard

Jefman,

Glad to help out and thanks for originally mentioning his site.

Brad: Eric Witenberg's site is fantastic. Thanks for posting that. If one delves into the site it is clear that Eric supports his conclusions: That JEB Stuart was over rated as a cavalry commander, that Wade Hampton was a terrific cavalry commander on par if not better than Stuart, that Bedford Forrest was a nuiscance nothing more and that despite inferior weapons the Confederate cavalry was a formidable foe to the Union even into late 1864 especially in the eastern theatre. He uses official records, tin types, photos, diaries and all sorts of original data points to support his interpretations. It is all real important stuff as many suppossed Civil War historians take unsupported creative license with history and give flawed and in some cases unsubstantiated,poorly researched opinions rather than the historical truth. It is a much needed vehicle when interpreting the look and feel in this case Civil War Cavalry. Thanks again.

Well that kind of puts him in the minority thinking Forrest wasn't effective. It also appears the guy has a bad case of Eastern Theater Calvary elitist going.

From what I have read, Eric Wittenberg is highly considered in the field and his books have won awards. Here's a review of his latest book, Glory Enough for All, which, as you'll see, is considered by the reviewer an essential volume.

Here's a link to a review of a book published in 2009, Like A Meteor Brazing Blightly, about Colonel Ulrich Dahlgren, which includes an interview with Mr. Wittenberg.

Shiloh: That is a fair observation that Eric has taken on full force. Trust me the exploits of Bedford Forrest have been examined and assessed through time. Eric has authored splendid works on Brandy Station, Rush's Lancer's (the 6th PA. Cavalry) the cavalry actions at Gettysburg and much more. Since so much of the cavalry battles fought in the Civil War took place in the Eastern Theatre it is not by design rather reality that this theatre is where the war was decided. That is not meant to distract or marginalize the conflict in the western theatre. No doubt that portion of the conflict has merit, bearing and relevence. Eris is just terrific in his assessments and he supports his conclusions with tons of data points. He is the real deal. For what it is worth we could debate the topic until the end of time. All opinions are respected some more due to their supporting their opinions with facts and outcomes that are irrefutable. But its a hobby that I just devour. My best to you and all of the western theatre followers.

If Ol' Bedford was on the winning side, he'd be a national hero, right alongside of Custer, Sheridan, et al. I know I'll upset some Gettysburg fans, but it has been overdone as far as I'm concerned. I would like to see a First Bull Run range..All of the armies on both sides had their brand new uniforms on, different regiments and their unique flags and uniforms, have bystanders in observance, some running for their lives. How 'bout a western theater campaign - Shiloh, Franklin..just a thought. If FL makes more mounted CS Generals besides the obvious, they'll get my money..My ACW diorama is on the low-rent side, hand-painted by me with a few good exceptions. FL is first-rate when it comes to artistry but costly at $50 per foot figure..

Shiloh: That is a fair observation that Eric has taken on full force. Trust me the exploits of Bedford Forrest have been examined and assessed through time. Eric has authored splendid works on Brandy Station, Rush's Lancer's (the 6th PA. Cavalry) the cavalry actions at Gettysburg and much more. Since so much of the cavalry battles fought in the Civil War took place in the Eastern Theatre it is not by design rather reality that this theatre is where the war was decided. That is not meant to distract or marginalize the conflict in the western theatre. No doubt that portion of the conflict has merit, bearing and relevence. Eris is just terrific in his assessments and he supports his conclusions with tons of data points. He is the real deal. For what it is worth we could debate the topic until the end of time. All opinions are respected some more due to their supporting their opinions with facts and outcomes that are irrefutable. But its a hobby that I just devour. My best to you and all of the western theatre followers.
Hmmm I believe the war was lost on the rivers and the seas and had not a thing to do with Cavalry at all or the eastern theater either.The eastern theater recieves all the attention but the loss of Virginia would not have ended the rest of the Confederacy. Shermans march to the sea and the loss of Georgia signaled the final breath of the Confederate states.

My two cents: the war was lost by the South in the West and won by the North in the East.

Dave

Brad/Tom...It's pretty easy to debate the two most polarizing personalities of the Civil War...no doubt Sherman and Forrest. Absolutely no middle ground on both of them. You either like em or hate em. I'm still scratching my head on why in the world K&C made a Burnside figure...a moron who's claim to fame up the ladder to the top was fostered by developing a carbine that had a propensity for its metallic cartridge to get stuck in the breech.

Jefman,

Tom and I are good buddies and I just like to needle him. The War is long over and we are one country: strength through diversity.

I can't say I can figure out the Burnside figure either. Someone like Halleck or Meade might have been an interesting choice but the great thing about the set is that you can group the figures differently.

I like burnside just because he was honest. He didn't feel that he was up to command of the Army of the Potomac and actually turned down the promotion once after the Peninsula campaign. History has shown that he was correct in his assessment of himself. It is a crime that so many men had to die at Fredricksburg because of him. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back