Bourbon Lovers (1 Viewer)

tdubel

Major
Not limited to Bourbon, but couple of recent tastes and acquisitions for those that are interested and are of legal drinking age!~

A. Willett Rare Rye (4ys) = just hit the shelves here, I was lucky at my place to score one. Slightly expensive at $65 per bottle (retail, some places are higher), but I recommend giving it a try.

B. Blantons - luckily i find about 2 bottles a year to keep in stock! Be patient and pay retail, don't get taken , it is $60 per bottle.

C. Cabin Still - about twice a year, that old rotgut brand from the original Stitzel Weller history finds its way to a store and................it is darn good at $17.99 a half gallon!

D. Rebel Yell Family - recently over Xmas, we tried the Rootbear whiskey served from a bottle chiller. REAL good and less than $20 per bottle, highly recommend for something different.

TD

My eldest Son asked me what I wanted for Xmas. Like most people he usually gifts me items that he likes, me not so much {eek3} I quickly suggested a bottle of Bourbon, in particular Woodford Reserve that a forum friend recommended. Now have that bottle waiting for tasting, along with several other bottles of Bourbon, I may need them the way this year started. BTW, my other son gave me cash, he knows what his dad likes best, call me shallow ^&grin

Received a bottle of Eagle Rare bourbon for Christmas. Hard to find . . . Very enjoyable and makes a darn good Old Fashioned. For myself, I bought a 1.75L bottle of Woodford Reserve for the holidays, my personal go to bourbon of choice for sipping straight up or on a giant cube of ice which I make using a silicon ice cube mold.
Mike

My eldest Son asked me what I wanted for Xmas. Like most people he usually gifts me items that he likes, me not so much {eek3} I quickly suggested a bottle of Bourbon, in particular Woodford Reserve that a forum friend recommended. Now have that bottle waiting for tasting, along with several other bottles of Bourbon, I may need them the way this year started. BTW, my other son gave me cash, he knows what his dad likes best, call me shallow ^&grin

Will be interested to hear what you think of Woodford Reserve. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Mike

Will be interested to hear what you think of Woodford Reserve. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Mike

I'll let you know later today Mike. It's only 10 AM here atm, a bit early for Bourbon tasting even if I am on holidays :wink2:

I'll let you know later today Mike. It's only 10 AM here atm, a bit early for Bourbon tasting even if I am on holidays :wink2:

You could pretend you are here in Wisconsin where it's 6:15 p.m. - a perfect time for a sip.
Mike

I live at ground zero for bourbon in central Kentucky. Literally, Diego built a Bullitt distillery less than a mile from my home couple of yrs ago (much to my dismay). But occasionally we do get a pleasant wafting from the stills. We always take family and friends to distillery tours when visiting (pre-COVID). My youngest son brought a bottle of Knob Creek 12 yr old home for Christmas. It's GOOD. A week later I rec'd the latest Whiskey Advocate with their 2020 top 20 pics. The Knob Creek was #2 overall. A qtrly subscription for two is $22 and a good publication for whiskey, bourbon and scotch (I don't receive any fees).

BTW Mike, we went to a bourbon tasting and gourmet dinner at Buffalo Trace distillery a couple of yrs ago. Couple next to us asked what was our "go to bourbon." My son and I both replied Eagle Rare.

IMG_4579.JPG

Cheers
Chris

You can't go wrong with Woodford. Try the double cask strength if you can find it. Chris

I have to say I like a lot of different bourbons and ryes. Very happy with Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare, knob creek, and Bulliet, and Woodford, but recently I was introduced to Angels Envy oh my it’s amazing!
I also enjoy rye and have just picked up a bottle of knob creek rye that will be opened later this evening. Great thread

Dave

BTW Mike, we went to a bourbon tasting and gourmet dinner at Buffalo Trace distillery a couple of yrs ago. Couple next to us asked what was our "go to bourbon." My son and I both replied Eagle Rare.

View attachment 270773

Cheers
Chris

When I can find it, I also like to use Buffalo Trace to make my Old Fashioneds. Lately it's been very hard to get and and my local liquor stores only get a limited amount when they can get it. I suppose this is another result of COVID.

Mike

Yeah, we have a number of craft distilleries here in the Lehigh Valley, who are putting out some decent liquors. The Social Still here in Bethlehem makes a rye whiskey that is pretty good. I was interested in it, because apparently rye whiskey was a Pennsylvania specialty, back before Prohibition. I like it; it's a different character from a whiskey distilled from corn or barley.

There's a place down in West Virginia called Smooth Ambler, who make a good bourbon, too. I have a friend who lives near there, and we go down to visit her, we take a trip to the distillery. I remember the anticipation in the years between their opening, and the year when their first batch of their own, unblended bourbon was ready (for the first seven years, they offered blended bourbon, till their first batch was finished ageing).

Just as with brewing, distilling has entered a renaissance here.

Prost!
Brad

I was watching CBS Sunday Morning about two months ago. They were featuring Rip Van Winkle bourbon. I think that was the name. Apparently very good. I've mentioned many times that I like Elijah Craig as a tasty, but affordable Bourbon. $25.99 at my Costco. What a deal!

I live at ground zero for bourbon in central Kentucky. Literally, Diego built a Bullitt distillery less than a mile from my home couple of yrs ago (much to my dismay). But occasionally we do get a pleasant wafting from the stills. We always take family and friends to distillery tours when visiting (pre-COVID). My youngest son brought a bottle of Knob Creek 12 yr old home for Christmas. It's GOOD. A week later I rec'd the latest Whiskey Advocate with their 2020 top 20 pics. The Knob Creek was #2 overall. A qtrly subscription for two is $22 and a good publication for whiskey, bourbon and scotch (I don't receive any fees).

View attachment 270773

Cheers
Chris

Not sure if Knob Creek would be popular in Australia and the UK as Knob is slang for Penis. But who am I to judge, not far from my place is Hobbits Knob Cat Retreat where you can board your cat over the holidays. IMO they should have named it Hobbits Knob Cat House, but maybe that's just the way I think.

It's very hard to find now do to the mellenials finding it(went from 30 to 50) but if you can locate a bottle of Mckenna 10 yr. It's solid

Attachments

• IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 95
I was watching CBS Sunday Morning about two months ago. They were featuring Rip Van Winkle bourbon. I think that was the name. Apparently very good. I've mentioned many times that I like Elijah Craig as a tasty, but affordable Bourbon. $25.99 at my Costco. What a deal!

I have a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle that goes for $400 - $700 on the secondary market. Pappy Van Winkle is almost impossible to find in stores. It's released once a yr and liquor stores hold lotteries to have a chance to purchase. Had a dram or two at bars/restaurants and it's the best I've had.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof was #1 in the Whiskey Advocate two yrs ago. Chris

A few months ago I read a newspaper review of the best restaurants / cafes in various categories like Thai, Indian etc. To my surprise the best American Diner place was actually very close to where I live. It is located in the ground floor of a Hotel. For non Australians the word Hotel can be quite confusing down here. Soon after I arrived I did a road trip with the family and got into a small town about 8pm. Saw a big building with the word Hotel on it and walked in to arrange accomadation. The guy behind the bar had a good laugh when I asked for a room. Not sure why but the word Hotel is also used by some very big drinking establishments and I am sure I am not the only tourist who has been caught out.

Anyway wife and I went to check out the place. It is in the lobby of a ten story hotel that everybody passes on one of our major highways. Terrible street signage and hard to know it is there.

I had my doubts about the choice of corn bread as a starter but as you do you go along with the better half. It came with butter but to me it was like eating a weird kind of sponge cake. Even worse there was plenty of it and we only finished half. I had a fantastic chicken and beef burger and the wife chose salmon. Food was excellent.

I am not a big alcohol drinker but their beverage menu had a huge selection of bourbons and clearly it was a major part of the offerings. Judging by the price list some of them must come with gold leaves sprinkled on the top.

When paying I mentioned we lived nearby but only learnt about them as they won best in category. The owner was not even aware of the article.

Anyway the moral of the story is be careful with the word Hotel if new in Oz and dont order the corn bread^&grin.

It's very hard to find now do to the mellenials finding it(went from 30 to 50) but if you can locate a bottle of Mckenna 10 yr. It's solid

Mckenna is a great bourbon and like you stated gives a solid performance in taste and satisfaction.
Mike

I have a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle that goes for $400 - $700 on the secondary market. Pappy Van Winkle is almost impossible to find in stores. It's released once a yr and liquor stores hold lotteries to have a chance to purchase. Had a dram or two at bars/restaurants and it's the best I've had.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof was #1 in the Whiskey Advocate two yrs ago. Chris

Elijah is nice bottle and can be had at costco for 26 bucks. It is really hard to beat for the price.

I am lucky enough to have been a customer at the same liquor store for years and was buying Pappy before it exploded on the market.
Like paying 69.00 to 179.00 depending on age. The owner makes sure I get one of every age every year and a George T Stagg because he knows I am not reselling on the black market. Now those same bottles are bringing 400 to 3000 depending on age. It's insane.

The Pappy is good, IMO the 20 is the best of the lot, even better than the 23.However if you can come across a bottle of George T Stagg ( also sells out nationwide in one day) get one. Its real high proof in the 138 to 141 range but it is the best as far as I'm concerned.
My wife laughs that I keep my extra bottles in the safe but they can pay a mortgage if they ever needed to.

Attachments

• CA3F92AF-F81B-4ADB-BD3A-081993818BF0.jpeg
    CA3F92AF-F81B-4ADB-BD3A-081993818BF0.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back