Connoisseur Figures (2 Viewers)

Connoisseur to me depends who paints it. If done by a Master
Painter and signed it is connoisseur. This Custer figure is on order
for me. Hopefully, he'll start it in January. Right now he's almost
finished [75%] with my current commision, which is Andreas
Officer, Chasseurs of the Imperial Guard.
ANDS8F43.jpg
That should be a fine piece. I would like it even more if the horse's leg positions were a bit more probable but much of the period paintings have that kind of issue so it is an understandable feature.

Ray, hope you'll post a few pics here. I have some Russian-painted flats and have always regarded them as among my favorites. Got mine here in the states at various shows.

Absolutely I will!!! at this point I don't know the time frame. And lets see yours!?!?!??

Your wish is my command, Ray! I'd like to encourage all of you to at least check out flats next time you are at a show or other venue where they are displayed. IMO, flats have an "old world" charm that is irresistable. They would make a nice adjunct to your toy soldier collection, and can be used ("museum style") as troops in the background of your display to convey a sense of distance. (Museums in Europe will start with 54mm (rounds) in the front, then move to 40mm and then 30mm flats as you head to the back of the display. A forced persepctive - and saves space.) While the most stunning flats are painted to a very high standard, you can find "toy soldier" / production figures that are easy on the budget but still a treat to see, You can even paint your own!

The list of subjects is endless. You can find everything from ancient Egypt through WWII. There's even fantasy and some "naughty" lines for private viewing - A-hem! My avatar is a Frazetta figure I did years ago. The other good thing is that flats are much cheaper to collect than rounds. Perfect for satisfying that historical interest for which are are a little short of funds.

I'd also be remiss in not asking you to check out the British Flat Figure Society,for which I am the current N. American Representative. Despite the name, we are a world-wide organization of flat figure painters, collectors and enthusiasts - and the only such organization transacting business in English.

Here's our site: http://www.britishflatfigures.org.uk/

Have a look!

Ok, now on to the Russian -painted flat figures:

Here's one I picked up at MFCA in the spring - a 54mm

Web_P1040071.JPG

Web_P1040072.JPG

Here's some oothers I have purchased over the years. I do not remember where I got them or who painted them. I just buy what I like when I can get them. These are 30mm.

Web_P1040074.JPG

Web_P1040075.JPG

Web_P1040078.JPG

Web_P1040079.JPG

I have a set of the Russian Czars from 945 - 1917 - two boxes - that are brilliant. Here they are. All are 30 mm. I love the Russian themes!

Set 1

Web_P1040081.JPG

Web_P1040082.JPG

Web_P1040083.JPG

Attachments

• m_russian nap set.jpg
    m_russian nap set.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 226
  • m_russian nap set1.jpg
    m_russian nap set1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 221
  • m_russian old guard set.jpg
    m_russian old guard set.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 241
Fantastic, Ray! Do you know the painter/marketer? I'd love to get more.

Love those Nappies!!

Fantastic, Ray! Do you know the painter/marketer? I'd love to get more.

Love those Nappies!!

Actually I am still talking with the person I bought the sets from, I'll ask him again where he got them, though I vaguely remember him saying he picked them up in an open air market in St. Petersburg?
Here are the balance of these style of sets I have, Russian high command and Hussars. I love them so much they are mounted in a display case and on the wall of my man cave! GRRRR!!!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• m_russian set framed.jpg
    m_russian set framed.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 238
  • m_russian set framed 1.jpg
    m_russian set framed 1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 238
Thanks for sharing the fine photo's of your Flat collections . I'm really enjoying them. All the best Gebhard

I can see why you like them, Ray. They are great sets.

I like painting the sets, but it takes a lot of time. These days. I paint the single figures and "farm out" the sets.

Connoisseur to me depends who paints it. If done by a Master
Painter and signed
it is connoisseur. This Custer figure is on order
for me. Hopefully, he'll start it in January. Right now he's almost
finished [75%] with my current commision, which is Andreas
Officer, Chasseurs of the Imperial Guard.
ANDS8F43.jpg

This 120 mm figure we did about 10 years ago
82f59641f06e.jpg

fbeb02660602.jpg

881a55c10d98.jpg

0dfa42604fd8.jpg

0fb2e13ec0e9.jpg

779a46773388.jpg

Great work, Igor. I have a flat of this figure, but yours is better painted than mine. :)

Here's some pictures of a St. Pete Gothic Knight. I've had this knight for quite a while (5 years?) and it continues to please. Hope you enjoy this.

web_P1040089.JPG

web_P1040090.JPG

web_P1040091.JPG

web_P1040096.JPG

web_P1040098.JPG

The painting is lovely, especially the pennant. It is easy to see why it still pleases.:cool:

That is a beautiful piece. I almost purchased one of these at the Chicago show years ago, never got another chance again:(. Superb work!
JW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back